Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Wish DC would give us a GOLDEN-AGE BATMAN: YEAR ONE series.

I was re-reading the Secret Origins issue that had Golden Age Batman from about 30 years ago (was it really that far back?) , and I keep thinking I'd love to see more stories like that. A book (could be a limited series) set in the late 1930s giving us stories when Batman first went into action, before Robin entered the picture. A series that could re-tell / add to those stories from Detective Comics #27-37 and the Batman solo-story that got moved from Detective Comics #38 to Batman #1 instead (which really isn't that much material since those stories were about twelve pages or less per an issue), as well as introduce some new material between those adventures.

I know we also had the Matt Wagner-written BATMAN AND THE MONSTER MEN! series and BATMAN AND THE MAD MONK, but how long have those been out of print?

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I was re-reading the Secret Origins issue that had Golden Age Batman from about 30 years ago (was it really that far back?) , and I keep thinking I'd love to see more stories like that. A book (could be a limited series) set in the late 1930s giving us stories when Batman first went into action, before Robin entered the picture. A series that could re-tell / add to those stories from Detective Comics #27-37 and the Batman solo-story that got moved from Detective Comics #38 to Batman #1 instead (which really isn't that much material since those stories were about twelve pages or less per an issue), as well as introduce some new material between those adventures.
    As much as I might be interested in such a curiosity, I don't see that DC is doing many outright Golden Age stories for any character. They rightfully question what the market is for that sort of material. And when DC likes to time travel like that, they get expensive (that's the problem) top artists like Darwyn Cooke (may he rest in peace) so the material gets some more guaranteed sales, and so I can see why it's not a well that's gone to too often.

I know we also had the Matt Wagner-written BATMAN AND THE MONSTER MEN! series and BATMAN AND THE MAD MONK, but how long have those been out of print?
    They were mid 2000s works if I recall. And I really really loved them. And they were the best of both worlds. NOT actual Golden Age Batman. But Golden Age style takes on modern Batman after Batman Year One.

I really wish DC could hit up Wagner for more Batman work. Even if he doesn't draw it or all of it. I even love his writing alone.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 01-11-2017 at 09:33 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I really wish DC could hit up Wagner for more Batman work. Even if he doesn't draw it or all of it. I even love his writing alone.
    I know Wagner did the (excellent) Grendel vs. The Shadow 3-parter for Dark Horse a couple of years ago, and more recently had been doing stuff for Dynamite with The Shadow and The Spirit (some stuff he writes & draws, other stuff has him writing only), but that's all I'm really aware of these days.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I know Wagner did the (excellent) Grendel vs. The Shadow 3-parter for Dark Horse a couple of years ago, and more recently had been doing stuff for Dynamite with The Shadow and The Spirit (some stuff he writes & draws, other stuff has him writing only), but that's all I'm really aware of these days.
    Thanks for the recommendations. I have like his first Zorro trade and his Shadow and G.Hornet stuff is on my to-get list.

Seeing him do all this other pulp avenger work only annoys me more, because I want much more of him on Batman. Minis, an existing or new title, etc. I think he has a proven name that can sell, he has fan cred. And (I could be wrong but) I feel he would jump at another opportunity to do some Batman if only DC would make the call.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

I would've been interested to see a "Legend of Batman" series from Renae De Liz and her husband, since that seems like it likely would've been an interesting update of the Golden Age Caped Crusaders, judging by their work on Wonder Woman.

I can't remember anything about it, but this has piqued my interest.

What was the mini series DC did a few years back with The Spirit, Doc Savage, and Golden Age Batman? I want to say Azzarello was involved?

Astonishing Member

Yeah, even I loved that Golden Age Batman origin story. And I'd love to see more of the Golden Age Batman in some form. Even if we literally don't get the Golden Age Batman, we could get some flashback stories in Rebirth continuity set shortly after Zero Year which could potentially feature a Golden Age-styled Batman.

Or maybe we could get an out-of-continuity miniseries with the Golden Age Batman. A sort of Batman '39 kind of deal.

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    I can't remember anything about it, but this has piqued my interest.

What was the mini series DC did a few years back with The Spirit, Doc Savage, and Golden Age Batman? I want to say Azzarello was involved?

Do you want to see a Batman not into 121 different types of combat techniques and one who relies more on spying and sleuthing?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Do you want to see a Batman not into 121 different types of combat techniques and one who relies more on spying and sleuthing?
    Hell yes!
    (And also without all the 21st century+ computers / military technology!)

Lol. OK, that's what I thought!

I agree that would be great to see.

I would be all for this too.

Did Batman stories ever touch on WW2?

I would also die for Francavilla's Batman '72, a series of illos he did with Batman in the vein of 1970s crime films/TV

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    I would be all for this too.

Did Batman stories ever touch on WW2?

I would also die for Francavilla's Batman '72, a series of illos he did with Batman in the vein of 1970s crime films/TV
    I remember owning a 70s or 80s issue where Batman is fighting thugs in Nazi uniforms and there might have been a graveyard background so my guess would be yes. Didn't they use Supes and Bats for selling warbonds?

Do you have a link for the Francavilla 70s material?

Batman, the war years collects stories from 1,939 to 1,945. My favorite is Atlantis Goes to War (The Atlantis of his original world was not meta human and related to Robin).

Thanks! I'll definitely have to reread that, I remember really liking the dynamic between Doc and Bats.