Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    ''I shall become a bat.'' masahikotahara's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Do you have a link for the Francavilla 70s material?
    Just google ''francavilla batman 1972''. These are awesome.

tumblr_mykrnbeKZE1ssmbizo9_500.jpg

tumblr_mykrnbeKZE1ssmbizo2_250.jpg

BdMAI61CYAAQbX8.jpg
    Visit my website: http://ultimatebatmancomicswebsite.weebly.com for a timeline of Batman comics from Batman: Year One to Flashpoint,
    The New 52 and Rebirth!

CANON! CHRONOLOGY! READING ORDER!

...AND MORE...

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I'm in love (with the material). Time to finally read BLACK BEETLE and pray for '72 to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    . . . Time to finally read BLACK BEETLE and pray for '72 to happen.
    It's also time for Dark Horse / Francavilla to finally do something about

BLACK BEETLE: NECROLOGUE

Amazing Member

Definitely agree with OP, I'd love to see a modern re-telling of the 1939 Batman!

I would read the hell out of this!

I don't think DC would do it right.

They're all about modernizing their heroes.

After Matt Wagner's mini's, all I wanted was for that trend to continue, but I don't see DC going backwards.
    Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah!

Generic condescending passive aggressive elitist statement.

Quote Originally Posted by ispacehead View Post

After Matt Wagner's mini's, all I wanted was for that trend to continue, but I don't see DC going backwards.
    That's why it would have to be outside the Rebirth/main DC line.
    They can do this stuff with Batman '66, so why not an alternate earth title for Batman back in the Golden Age (but by writers & artists from today)?

With all the times DC has been reprinting those Golden Age stories, I'm sure there are enough creators that have been influenced by it to some degree.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Does everyone know this Batman/The Shadow DC/Dynamite crossover is happening by Orlando & Scott Snyder (with Rossmo on art)? I will be reading the heck out of this.

BATMAN/SHADOW #1 (1 of 6)

Written by STEVE ORLANDO & SCOTT SNYDER
    Art and cover by RILEY ROSSMO

Two of history’s greatest vigilantes are reunited at last! Murder has come to Gotham City, and Lamont Cranston appears to be the culprit…but he’s been dead for over fifty years! Batman will go to the ends of the Earth to unravel the mystery of Cranston’s life, but the mysterious Shadow will do everything in his power to stop him from learning too much…

The superstar team of writers Scott Snyder and Steve Orlando and artist Riley Rossmo brings you a dark and twisty modern noir like nothing you’ve seen before, with a brand-new villain unlike any either hero has faced! This is the unmissable crime series of 2017, so get on board now! Co-published with Dynamite.
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/01...ill-next-week/
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 01-18-2017 at 08:48 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ispacehead View Post

DC, and Marvel as well, are ALL about going backwards to a large extent...almost as much as they are about going forwards.

Batman has had more 'Year One'/early years stories than just about ANY comic-book character...barring perhaps Spider-Man.

And in recent years, DC HAS started to acknowledge the Golden Age Batman more. Morrison effectively brought the Golden Age stories back to continuity and one of the more memorable issues of his run, 'Joe Chill in Hell', featured Batman in the Golden Age suit and was a modernized darker retelling of the original Golden Age story 'The Origin of Batman'. Then we had Zero Year, which featured Batman in a suit based off the Golden Age and generally brought back Golden Age elements (most notably Bruce's Uncle Phillip and Dr. Death). Batman showed up in the Golden Age suit a few times in the 'Brave and the Bold' cartoon and even the suit in 'Beware the Batman' was based off the original design.

So honestly, I don't think a Batman '39 series is THAT much of a fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    Did Batman stories ever touch on WW2?
    Sometimes.

Astonishing Member

Rediscovered this thread through the new thread about the Earth Two Batman.

A lot has happened in the past 5-6. We saw the 1939-era Batman briefly return in the Generations Shattered one-shot back in 2019, iirc. The upcoming The Caped Crusader cartoon seems based off the Golden Age Batman, at least aesthetically.

I'd love to see a Black Label series revisiting the Golden Age Batman and recontextualising those early stories.

No Robin, no Alfred, no Wayne Manor(?), no Batcave...there's definitely enough to make this a very distinct take on Batman from the one in other 'Year One' stories.

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    I can't remember anything about it, but this has piqued my interest.

What was the mini series DC did a few years back with The Spirit, Doc Savage, and Golden Age Batman? I want to say Azzarello was involved?
    I believe it was called "first wave".

On topic, I'm curious about a period piece approach to Batman's early days so I'd be interested in exploring the Golden Age take.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 08-09-2023 at 08:49 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I believe it was called "first wave".

On topic, I'm curious about a period piece approach to Batman's early days so I'd be interested in exploring the Golden Age take.
    Have you read Batman Noir?

Its an Elseworlds story and not quite the Golden Age Batman, but it's set in 1949 and does give a similar vibe in part.

But yeah, I think we should get a Golden Age Batman mini or OGN or something. If the market can accomodate multiple Black Label takes on Batman, and Batman '66, and Batman Beyond and what-not, then why not the original take on the character?

In general, I do think Golden Age Batman is short-changed compared to Golden Age Superman and Golden Age Wonder Woman. Golden Age Superman retains a certain pop-cultural resonance, between the sheer volume of discource around the Siegal/Shuster stories, as well as the Fleischer cartoons, Morrison's Golden Age-inspired New 52 run, more recently Superman Smashes the Klan etc. Golden Age Wonder Woman, at least on a superficial level, has remained relevant because of a number of adaptations set during WW2, including the Lynda Carter show, the Legends of Wonder Woman mini, and the Gal Gadot film (which swaps in WW1).

Golden Age Batman on the other hand is largely forgotten. Yes, he appeared in the Generations Shattered one-shot a few years back. Zero Year took some inspiration from those early stories (with the purple gloves in particular, as well as Dr. Death). The upcoming Caped Crusader cartoon seems to have gone with a very Golden Age design for the suit. But by and large, Year One has dominated people's perceptions of early Batman, and almost completely supplanted the actual early Golden Age stories.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Have you read Batman Noir?

Its an Elseworlds story and not quite the Golden Age Batman, but it's set in 1949 and does give a similar vibe in part.
    No I haven't. Thanks for the recommendation.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 08-09-2023 at 05:56 PM.