Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But the concept itself of replacing Cap is . . . = yawn! =
    Quote Originally Posted by steeplejack2112 View Post
    Hopefully this won't last too long. It really isn't necessary.
    Exactly. And I'm still relatively new to Cap (since 2005.) I'm not sure why Marvel can't sustain the character for more than two-three years now without shaking things up. Shrugs. And whomever takes over will be kicked to the curb prior to Captain America 3. What's the point?
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Quote Originally Posted by empsolo View Post
    You remove Steve or bucky from the role as Captain America. You remove everything that makes Captain America even remotely interesting. You just have another run of the mill patriotic super hero. And run of the mill patriotic super heroes are lame.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Not a fan the other Caps by a long shot. Steve is what makes Captain America work in the modern age.

It better be D-Man!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts View Post
    It better be D-Man!
    Uhhh, I think D-Man is pushing up daises.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Incredible Member a moment closer's Avatar

I think it's really interesting how many people are adamantly angry and distraught about this story Rick Remender is telling. I am enjoying every page of it and will most likely enjoy the future stories he plans to tell. Go along for the ride or get off the train. Sales speak not our ridiculous rants. Stop buying what you don't like and move on. And for those of you who don't even buy the comics you're complaining about, shut up! How can you criticize the creators or the book if you don't even buy them? Or base your opinions on other people's opinions? I can't stand reading someone's crap excuse to whine when they clearly state that they haven't picked up a Captain America book in TEN YEARS because they couldn't afford it or they disliked the story told a decade ago and they just can't believe what Marvel has done to the character. What do you really know and why do you care so much if you're not spending money on it? Really, shut up and go away. That isn't what the medium is for. Telling stories, even rehashed iterations of older stories, is all this medium is about. Men on these forums whine more than most five year olds. It's offensive.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

How can you criticize the creators or the book if you don't even buy them?
    How does that work then? You can't complain if you buy the books, because you're supposed to be voting with your wallet. You can't complain if you don't because...

So, I guess we all have to simply be good little Marvel Zombies and eat what we're forced to. Right?

Rubbish! If you don't like something, then complain about it, regardless of whether you're buying or not.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by a moment closer View Post
    I think it's really interesting how many people are adamantly angry and distraught about this story Rick Remender is telling. I am enjoying every page of it and will most likely enjoy the future stories he plans to tell. Go along for the ride or get off the train.
    I did after issue #10? (Or was it #11?)

Sales speak not our ridiculous rants. Stop buying what you don't like and move on. And for those of you who don't even buy the comics you're complaining about, shut up! How can you criticize the creators or the book if you don't even buy them?
    I did buy it . . . I want to still buy it . . . but I DON'T WANT ANY MORE REMENDER! (And, unfortunately, there's no alternative Steve-Rogers-as-Captain-America book to buy, so I WILL continue to complain about how Remender isn't coming up with ideas that seem original or that interest me.

I can't stand reading someone's crap excuse to whine when they clearly state that they haven't picked up a Captain America book in TEN YEARS because they couldn't afford it or they disliked the story told a decade ago and they just can't believe what Marvel has done to the character.
    For me, it was only ten ISSUES ago, not ten years.

What do you really know and why do you care so much if you're not spending money on it?
    Well, I've been reading Captain America off-and-on since . . . 1972 . . . and he's an iconic character who, when well written, is one of my favorite Marvel characters who I WANT TO SUPPORT, but just can't do so while Remender is writing the title.

Really, shut up and go away.
    No.

Extraordinary Member

Luke Cage makes more sense than Sam Wilson for a host of reasons. Also, the reason why Steve and Bucky work as Captain America is that whole fish out of temporal water, being paragons of virtue and embodiments of the nation as it ought to be. Also they buck the trend of the idea that white americans are this jingoistic arch conservative people bent on glorifying whatever america does.

You remove Steve or bucky from the role as Captain America. You remove everything that makes Captain America even remotely interesting. You just have another run of the mill patriotic super hero. And run of the mill patriotic super heroes are lame.
    Except Captain America in universe is a TITLE, a gig given by the Government to handle the task of protecting America from enemies both foriegn and domestic.

In most retellings of his origin, Steve doesn't even design the Cap uniform himself it was given to him.

When Steve and Bucky went MIA, they were replaced with a new Captain America and Bucky. When THAT Cap died, they replaced him with Jeff Mace(so you had a situation where BUCKY was the vet and CAP was the rookie).

When Mace quit (Mace was only Cap ever to not die on the job), the got the 50's Cap to take HIS place.

And so on.

Steve is the best at being Cap, but if he can't be Captain America for whatever reason somebody else always will be tapped for the job.

Honestly, Falcon should have gotten the nod ages ago.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Steve Rogers is Christopher Reeve. He didn't create the role, he auditioned for it. He nailed it thoroughly and everyone loves him, but it doesn't end with him.

You know what "Steve or Bucky" means? That it was "only Steve" until Bucky proved someone else could do it. Brubaker could have easily kept him in the role even when Steve came back, he just didn't. If someone else is capable of doing it, why can't another someone do it?

In any case, Remender seems to be on the same page. I'm curious to see how he justifies Steve's return.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

If it isn't Sam Wilson, I next vote for Deathlok, followed by Machine Man.

Also, the reason why Steve and Bucky work as Captain America is that whole fish out of temporal water, being paragons of virtue and embodiments of the nation as it ought to be. Also they buck the trend of the idea that white americans are this jingoistic arch conservative people bent on glorifying whatever america does.

Truth!

#ten characters
    I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
    - George Washington

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Uhhh, I think D-Man is pushing up daises.
    So, he can be a metaphor. So is America. Badumdum.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Im guessing it'll be Ian hopping over from Dimension Z.

And that he'll bring the not-really-dead Sharon with him.

How many times has Steve not been Cap now? You've got the two guys in the 40s covering up that he was missing, the 50s Cap, the US Agent before he was US Agent, Bucky...

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's Falcon. The Captain America from that "Time Runs Out" Avengers cover looks a lot like him.
    All evidence points his way - which is great cos that means there's going to be a Cap in Mighty Avengers! (Al Ewing has said it'll be Sam's "turn" for some focus after #14 and that would line up well with this...)