Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Why are arabs always redheaded?

Have you ever seen a ginger Saudi? Yet Artemis and zara have red hair. Is it just because redheads are automatically antagonistic towards Diana (giganta, Barbara Minerva, aleka, orana)

I'm sure it's to differentiate them from Diana, who's brunette.

Now that it's 2017, there are better, more interesting ways to distinguish women of a similar build and ethnicity.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Zara is French, if I recall correctly. She dresses like an Arab because she was sold into slavery in the Middle East.

Artemis? I think she's Caucasian descent too. Just because she grew up in the Middle East doesn't mean she's ethnically Arab. Cleopatra, contrary to popular belief, was Greek. Not native Egyptian.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Zara is French, if I recall correctly. She dresses like an Arab because she was sold into slavery in the Middle East.

Artemis? I think she's Caucasian descent too. Just because she grew up in the Middle East doesn't mean she's ethnically Arab. Cleopatra, contrary to popular belief, was Greek. Not native Egyptian.
    I'm pretty sure Zara was an Arab? I recall something like Diana calling her an "Arab girl." It's been a while since I've read her introductory issue, though.

I do think the Wonder Woman franchise needs a bigger splash of racial diversity, though.

Zara even states this herself she is arab. In many middle eastern countries where France had a rule over them many French people did live there. So it comes to suggest that Zara is mixed. I mean Algeria is one place where Algerians still go to France and speak French. Artemis is mixed since she was born in the middle east. Most of the Banas are middle eastern and mixed with whatever men they had slept with.Originally Artemis was blond
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 01-12-2017 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrump View Post
    Have you ever seen a ginger Saudi? Yet Artemis and zara have red hair. Is it just because redheads are automatically antagonistic towards Diana (giganta, Barbara Minerva, aleka, orana)
    Usually Arabs in the Middle East unless they're more recently mixed with black partially due to the Arab empire and slave trade and location, or are immigrants from foreign countries or what not are usually Caucasian and although distinct, overlap more with Europeans than say.. Someone from West Africa. If she is suppose to be middle eastern, she may atypical to the usually look but by no means once in a blue moon rare considering how natural red heads are rare too. You could ask why the typical Southern Europeans (who at times can have much more Middle Eastern dna than your average european) typical image is never really shown as red or blonde haired as well.

Also it could to play on the firey redhead trope or look different from Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Getting on a technically aspect here, as someone who has done some a minor part time human anthropology course and travelled to parts of the world, Middle Easterners although a big blanket term, are usually Caucasian, sometimes though they may be mixed with Black due to the Arab slave trade and proximity to Africa and what not but for the most part are usually Caucasian, which is originally a skull shape btw, but has been warped to mean european descent. and as I mentioned overlap in features and genetics more so with Europeans.

Artemis can be an Arab (if she speaks Arabic and identifies with Arab culture as Arab typically refers to the culture, Arabic speakers or people from the Arab world), Caucasian and be a red head too. She will be atypical yes but not impossible. As for her not fitting with the Egyptians? I've been there and looked at some people there for an anthropology project and they are usually either Cauasian (sometimes more darker but can come out looking like Claudia Schiffer depending on genetics, look at Rami Malek who looks european except for the eye shape) or a mix of cauasian and black usually in the southern parts which expected given the borders.

Funny thing, since Diana is suppose to Southern European, Greek to be exact, she is more likely to have Middle Eastern dna given the Ottoman empire in a same way Arab Moors invaded the Iberian parts and Southern Italy, and I've seen Middle Easterners, North Africans and Southern Europeans with her look.

Point is, Artemis can be Arab, she can be an ethnic Egyptian and still looks the way she looks without being adpoted and actually being say.. Irish instead. Not your average look but yes

Also mind you, they did a dna test it was an article on some news site that apparently showed that modern Egytpian Dna is not that different than Ancient Egyptian Dna. So the ancient Egyptians were probably really tanned Cauasian people and some were a mix of black and cauasian or due to invasions and slaves, sometimes just black.
    Last edited by Troian; 01-12-2017 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Troian View Post
    Getting on a technically aspect here, as someone who has done some a minor part time human anthropology course and travelled to parts of the world, Middle Easterners although a big blanket term, are usually Caucasian, sometimes though they may be mixed with Black due to the Arab slave trade and proximity to Africa and what not but for the most part are usually Caucasian, which is originally a skull shape btw, but has been warped to mean european descent. and as I mentioned overlap in features and genetics more so with Europeans.

Artemis can be an Arab (if she speaks Arabic and identifies with Arab culture as Arab typically refers to the culture, Arabic speakers or people from the Arab world), Caucasian and be a red head too. She will be atypical yes but not impossible. As for her not fitting with the Egyptians? I've been there and looked at some people there for an anthropology project and they are usually either Cauasian (sometimes more darker but can come out looking like Claudia Schiffer depending on genetics, look at Rami Malek who looks european except for the eye shape) or a mix of cauasian and black usually in the southern parts which expected given the borders.

Funny thing, since Diana is suppose to Southern European, Greek to be exact, she is more likely to have Middle Eastern dna given the Ottoman empire in a same way Arab Moors invaded the Iberian parts and Southern Italy, and I've seen Middle Easterners, North Africans and Southern Europeans with her look.

Point is, Artemis can be Arab, she can be an ethnic Egyptian and still looks the way she looks without being adpoted and actually being say.. Irish instead. Not your average look but yes

Also mind you, they did a dna test it was an article on some news site that apparently showed that modern Egytpian Dna is not that different than Ancient Egyptian Dna. So the ancient Egyptians were probably really tanned Cauasian people and some were a mix of black and cauasian or due to invasions and slaves, sometimes just black.
    I don't think Artemis or white-looking Arabs in the real world are so unlikely, as to be ridiculous, ..but, their origins are very complex.

Arabic and North African peoples don't necessarily 'overlap' with Northern Europeans, as much as they do with North Africans, who range from very dark-skinned to very light-skinned, and Western Asians, ..a diverse group that includes Turks, Semitic people and brown-skinned, wooly-haired people in Yemen. Furthermore, the reason that so many Saudis - including the late Osama Bin Laden and Bush family friend, Prince Bandar - appear to be black by Western standards, is that Arabia is right next door to Yemen, ..which is right next door to East Africa. The black-looking Arabs you speak of, including and especially those in the Saudi Arabian Royal Family, aren't black-looking because they're descended from enslaved black Africans, ..but, because there were already wealthy and influential black Africans, who were scholars, merchants and warriors in East Africa, Yemen, Saudi Arabia and throughout the Arab world, ..many centuries before the Trans-Atlantic slave trade began.

If anything, the Barbary Coast slave trade likely had more to do with the racial mixtures, you've mentioned. Historians tell us they were dark-skinned North and East Africans - many of whom are or look to be racially black, by Western standards - and some sub-Saharan Africans, from as far West as Senegal, AND Arabians, who captured white European and Caucasian slaves in Europe and Western Asia ..and sold them, all over the Arab world. [Look up 'white slavery' and 'Barbary pirates'.] This was going on, well into the late 1800s, and accounts for, at least, some of the fair-skinned, Euro-looking Arabs, you mentioned - because, truthfully, they are partially, racially European and, today, would be considered white, by Western standards.

Have you seen photos of the Saudi Arabian Royal Family ..or met some Yemeni people? I've met a few, here in very international Washington, D.C. - my parents have had many friends, who were Arabs - and even the most Caucasian-looking among them, who are racially white, by Western standards, ..would not easily pass for a Briton, Irishman or Dutch. Fair-skinned, dark blond, brown or red-haired, I assure you they don't much look like tall, Germanic, red-haired supermodels ..or like Artemis.

That said, I don't know why comic book writers and artists continue to depict Arabs, this way, giving us all the impression that, were we to travel to Saudi Arabia, we'd find ourselves surrounded by lookalikes of Saoirse Ronan and Bryce Dallas Howard. I think comic book creators just run out of hair and eye colors for characters, ..and everybody can't be yellow blondes or navy blue brunettes. Certainly, seems to be the case with Artemis - I think portraying her, as a tall, Germanic-looking Arab works much better in a comic book, than it ever would in a movie...

Or real life.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 01-13-2017 at 02:29 AM. Reason: clarity
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

As a middle eastern I can confirm there are redheads ev though very rare. Blondes are more common though, especially around Syrian border. Etnicity outside of USA is more complex than a mere skin color.

Artemis was blond before being a red hair

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Artemis was blond before being a red hair

But not in that image.

BANNED

And Artemis being blond must be another Artemis because this one was always a redhead starting with her introduction in Wonder Woman issue around 90 or so.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lowfyr View Post
    And Artemis being blond must be another Artemis because this one was always a redhead starting with her introduction in Wonder Woman issue around 90 or so.
    Not exactly, Artemis' hair was often drawn in a very light shade of red that almost bordered on being dark blond if not caramel brunette like here:

But in most modern versions and reproductions her hair is definitely more reddish than anything else.

Funny, I remembered this thread cause I just met someone whose parents are both from Egypt and hes a real redhead. His sisters a natural blonde but dyes it black.

Tehically the banas are of sourthen european desecent. Not only that but we don't know who Artemis's father or mother was. So we could easily have a mixed father . Also Zara was mixed since she is arab and french most likely.