Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The Gerudo in the Legend of Zelda series are also, essentially, Red headed Arabs. So there may be a broader folklore at play.

However, it should be noted that red hair often comes with character implications. In Norse mythology Thor is red headed, yep, you heard me he is actually red headed. The red hair represents his temperament, which is not too calm. The desert Amazons too are suppose to be rash, impulsive and emotional and therefore red hair is a good colour for them. Hair colour in art can often boil down to ethnographic factors, but more often than not it is a means for the creator to relay a character trait to the audience.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Tehically the banas are of sourthen european desecent. Not only that but we don't know who Artemis's father or mother was. So we could easily have a mixed father . Also Zara was mixed since she is arab and french most likely.
    Southern Europeans have more of a shared history with the Middle East and North Africa, and usually even carry some common DNA found in those areas, then say Scandinavians ever did. And genetically, Europeans and Middle East tend to be more closely related.. Zara could also still look like that (pale and redheaded) even without having a European parent, even though she has one.. Europe, ME/NA are all such diverse places like every other part in the world. Besides, Redheads won't be common in Southern Europe just as much as the Middle East. :P.

All in all, it seems silly to think that it's far fetched to say Artemis can't be an Arab and be pale and redheaded.. By definition she can fall under the Arab umbrella term, because it's such a broad term like the term of being whose an American.
    Last edited by Troian; 02-27-2017 at 09:23 PM.

True. With Artemis, we don't know who her parents are.

Yeah, but regardless she appears to be from Egypt, a recognized Arab country (regardless of how her ancestors got there), and as such can technically be an "Arab", like how being a American is such a broad term.

True. I still say making her mother Oruna would make sense as to why she is red hair. I meanArtenis was based off Oruna.

True. I still say making her mother Oruna would make sense as to why she is red hair. I meanArtenis was based off Oruna.
    I recently learned that the name Oranna is of Australian Aboriginal origin. If Artemis is Oranna's daughter her being mixed would make sense.

Are there any examples of dark skinned arabs with red hair in real life?

Yes. Also. Zara being a red hair isn’t that far off there are places in Lebanon that have a area with red Hair. So what’s wrong with Zara being a red Hair, when in red hair’s do exist in Lebanon. And Lebanon does speak French

Retired

I haven't had the good fortune to find a modern Wonder Woman comic with Zara in it. In the orginal comics, Zara was a fake. She pretended to be a mystic so she could con a bunch of people. So everything about her could have been a lie--even her red hair, like Lucy Ricardo's, might not have been genuine.

In the ILIAD and the ODYSSEY (which date back to 800 BC and tell stories from 1100 BC), Homer refers to different red-haired people. Menalaus (husband of Helen) is described as red-haired and after the Trojan War they end up in Egypt, as they try to get back to Sparta.

There were a lot of movements of people in the ancient world and it's believed that the people in Greece back then were a different people who were invaded by others and then those people spread to other places. And so on. You can't look at modern people today and conclude that people thousands of years ago looked the same in those regions of the world.

Besides which, red-hair is a mutation. And it can happen in any group of people. It doesn't matter the genetics, red-hair keeps happening around the world. It's just that among certain people this genetic mutation was encouraged by natural selection, so a lot more red haired folks were born in certain regions. Especially in the north, where you don't need melanin as much as near the equator and where you do need vitamin D more (due to the absence of sunlight).

Yes. Also. Zara being a red hair isn’t that far off there are places in Lebanon that have a area with red Hair. So what’s wrong with Zara being a red Hair, when in red hair’s do exist in Lebanon. And Lebanon does speak French
    Lebanese aren't Arabs.

Nor are people from Syria, Iran, Irak or Afghanistan.

Oh my bad. But red hairs do exist. We know Zara is Arab but has a French accent. So there are several places she can come from. Generally Lebanon is one of the common places people theorized.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    However, it should be noted that red hair often comes with character implications. In Norse mythology Thor is red headed, yep, you heard me he is actually red headed. The red hair represents his temperament, which is not too calm.
    Necroing this, but this is a rather modern interpretation, and only has some very small support in the Norse myths (though there is some). It has also come under question due to recent linguistic research into how colours were described and used by the Norse. There is also no indication that the modern mainly English-language association of red hair with having a lot of temper and passion held true for the Norse. It's not even that strong here in the Nordic countries.

But the colour perception matters a lot. "Red" was used for both what we think of as red, but also for golden or yellow colours (it is still reflected in modern Swedish, which uses "red gold" rather than "yellow gold"). Red, when used for persons could also denote the skin colour, in the sense of the skin being tanned or weathered. The Vikings saw it as an admirable quality for men, as a sign of vitality and physical activity.

Granted, there seems to be some very old association to Thor and red hair, but you still have to content with that red hair meant a very different kind of thing to the Norse than it does to us. In many ways, I think they viewed red hair as exotic, as they mainly encountered it on the British isles. Red hair was considered as a status sign on a wife, because it meant you had a foreign wife.
    Last edited by kjn; 07-09-2019 at 02:53 PM.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Retired

I mean, generally speaking, it's not true that every Arab is always red-haired in comics. The overwhelming number are dark-haired villainous stereotypes.

Artemis is from the Bana-Mighdall which is a totally fictional, made-up group of people. And they don't even come from Egypt orginally, but from the Amazonian homeland, which in myth was supposed to be near the Black Sea. They aren't supposed to represent any actual nation of people.

Zara is of the Crimson Flame. She's supposed to have flame powers. Comics being visual, they try to make characters look like the thing they represent--so crimson flame, flame red-hair. Even if she had started out with black hair, some artist would have given her bright red hair, because that's how comics work. Comic art is not known for being subtle.
    Last edited by Gaelforce; 07-10-2019 at 05:33 AM. Reason: Edited for straying off topic

Anybody ever hear of the Barbary pirates? North African pirates - many black or partially black, by Western standards - raided European ports, captured Caucasian men, women and children and sold them into slavery throughout the Arab world, Sudan and some parts of Central Africa. I'm not just talking about Turks, either; I'm talking about Irish, Italians, Circassians, Spaniards, Britons, Scandinavians, Gauls and Germans. Of course, there were wealthy, fair-skinned Caucasians, like the Templars, ..and those, less so, ..who moved in and out of the Arab world, freely, also. Pale, red-haired, green-eyed Arabs, while not common, aren't so implausible, ..but, let's not have any illusions about how they came to be that way.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/history/britis...laves_01.shtml

Furthermore, in addition to having come through the Arab slave trade, many wealthy blacks in the Arab world are descended from African scholars, merchants and nobility, who travelled there of their own free will. So, Nu'Bia, though I have no idea what that name means in Themysciran or Arabic, isn't exactly a unicorn, either. Black, by Western standards, in the Arab world...has anyone seen the King of Morocco and his son?

It's not like Artemis is a two-headed calf, is it?
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 07-11-2019 at 11:28 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Retired

Let's not forget that henna comes from North Africa and Asia Minor where it's been used for thousands of years not just for body art but also for dying the hair red.

So we can do this two ways. Either have her be a natural red head or her hair changed due to her fire powers. We can have Zara come from a long line of slaves. She was going to be sold again but escapes.