Default Batman-fans relation to the wrestler-trunks and the classic costume?

Yeah, I've noticed how hot of a potato this is in the Superman-forum, and how many do not feel that Superman's costume should ever change to any greater extent.

One of the biggest parts of that, appears to be the trunks - originally inspired by 1920's-1930's strongmen-performers, the athletic trunks was eventually a mainstay among professional wrestling, until the 1960's when they started to get subverted and replaced by other sports-wear.

They however, remained a part of both Superman and Batman's costumes, until the 1980's-1990's, when Batman first started deviating from the look, going back and forth between a trunkless and trunk-ified look for some time - until the New-52, when the trunks where definitely dropped on Batman, and he has yet to go back.

The same also happened to Superman, but to a great uproar, as many felt this ruined a classic design which should never have been touched.

However... you, the bat-fans, did NOT have the same reaction to Batman definitively dropping the trunks.

But why is that? Is it because Batman have been trunkless or went back and forth for close to 25 years now? Is that a part of it? Were you simply desentized to Batman losing the trunks, because of this? Or do you view Batman's costume as DIFFERENT in basic design to Superman's? Even though the two are obviously IMMENSELY similar?

I also note how fewer of you seems to have a problem with the SYMBOL on Batman's chest changing almost NON-STOP..! Although the yellow oval has returned now and then, it is often subsumed, by various variations to the original, all-black symbol of Batman's. Yet the yellow oval remains the most marketable and recognizable of the bat-symbols, and is the definitive favourite among merchandise.

Why does Bat-fans have a different relationship to Batman's costume than the super-fans have to Superman's costume?

I myself, would hypothesize that the true difference lies in that which signifies BATMAN, is neither the symbol on the chest, nor the trunks / colour-symmetry of the body-suit, but rather, what signifies classic Batman, is the CAPE AND COWL!!

What do you say, Bat-fans? Am I right?

The trunks do well to break up the color of the costume and to stop it from looking like a onsie. The trunks are less important on Batman than Superman because the gray of his costume is not as loud as the blue of Superman's. Without the red trunks, Superman looks 'too blue'. The black doesn't do as good at breaking up the grey since it is so similar, but because the colors are more muted, it doesn't matter as much.

Though I think they both should have the trunks, I think it is a must on Superman but just a plus on Batman. Supes is the superhero, so his classic costume is huge part of his look.
    Last edited by Pohzee; 01-15-2017 at 02:35 PM.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Astonishing Member

I think its a lot to do with the growing perception, especially over the last decade or so, that the Batsuit is more of a tactical suit and psychological weapon than it is a 'costume' in the traditional sense. It makes sense for it to be armored or kevlar-lined because its meant to provide protection. The cape and cowl are the crucial components in terms of Batman's use of fear as a weapon. The trunks and the symbol are purely aesthetic elements and don't really matter as much to the functionality of the suit.

Whereas with Superman, his suit is meant to be seen as a costume, as a symbol of Kryptonian heritage in some versions, and as something that solidifies his status as THE 'classic hero'.

That apart, I think in general, Batman fans have been more accepting of change than Superman fans.

I was a Great Fan of Batman Animated Series, the Batman and Batman Brave and Bold(colorful costume)...

The trunks aren´t a problem.. But..

Batman isn´t Superman, his trunks stand out less, trunks or not... with Batman no matter
    Last edited by adrikito; 01-16-2017 at 07:46 AM.

I will always love the trunks/underwear on the outside thing for any DC character that used to have it but especially for Superman and Batman. I don't even find it out of style. They're superheroes.

It's mostly because the symbols and the trunks do nothing for the costume or, in the case of the former, can even be detrimental to it. Batman is just a man in a tactical suit, who use fear and misdirection as his main weapon when dealing with common thugs (who are the vast majority of the people he fight on a nightly basis. Joker, Clayface, Ivy and all the other lunatics aren't out every night killing peoples, it's just more interesting to have them fighting Batman than to see him trouncing common criminals for a storyline). In that regard, the yellow oval was an aberration which, despite my love for BTAS which introduced me to comics and made Batman my favourite character, needed to go away. It made an easy target for anyone with a gun to shoot at, which was at odd with how Batman fight. As for the trunks, they aren't as problematic as Superman's, because they are a lot less apparent, but they too seems at odd with the crusade that Batman is fighting : Superman's an alien who doesn't really have a drive, a personal one that is, to do good. He is inclined to do so, and he thinks that using his powers (and his brain) is the way to help and do good, but it isn't as visceral as Batman's drive.

In a sense, it is a testament of Batman's simpler but also stronger origin, compared to Superman but also Wonder Woman, that his costume is not a point of contention between fans (well, mostly) : what makes Batman Batman isn't his symbol, his cape, his cowl, or his trunks. It is his tragic past and his will to make sure that no one will suffer like he did as a kid.

Personally, the New 52 costume is probably my favourite, because it looks intimidating, useful but not too tricky. Rebirth's is a close second, and Jim's Batman (not the bat-robot-bunny) the third, barely above all the others which I like equally (but special mention for BTAS season 1 suit).

I think the reasons it isn't so contentious are that we've been used to various colour variations on Batman throughout the years. Blue/grey, black cape with blue lining, yellow oval or no yellow oval etc.
    Also, we've had various live action incarnations, most of which have opted to drop the trunks (no, not in that way).

For Superman, his classic, most identifiable look will always include the red trunks. He wore the red trunks for years and years. Chris Reeve wore the trunks, Dean Cain wore the trunks, Brandon Routh wore the trunks.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post
    I myself, would hypothesize that the true difference lies in that which signifies BATMAN, is neither the symbol on the chest, nor the trunks / colour-symmetry of the body-suit, but rather, what signifies classic Batman, is the CAPE AND COWL!!

What do you say, Bat-fans? Am I right?
    While I myself do support Batman's trunks, I think you're right that the cape and cowl signify more or enough for Batman fans. I think Superman's bolder colors and his role as the ultimate first superhero do make his trunks more important to his character.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Incredible Member

I think multiple looks have their pros and cons and wouldn't feel super strongly on a trunks no trunks issue. I mean, Neal Adams Batsuit looks great, so does the 90s one and so does the Arkham videogame one. I wouldn't loose all the others just for one. Or care that much when they change one because we all know its only temporary.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    I think the reasons it isn't so contentious are that we've been used to various colour variations on Batman throughout the years. Blue/grey, black cape with blue lining, yellow oval or no yellow oval etc.
    Also, we've had various live action incarnations, most of which have opted to drop the trunks (no, not in that way).
    Yeah, I think this is a big part of it, as is the "too blue" issue NightwingIvI's mentions. But I also think the bulky utility belt helps Batman a lot. It clearly divides the costume into halves, so it looks less like a onesie, and adds some contrast needed to harmonize everything. It also serves a modesty function in that it gives the eye somewhere to go.
    Last edited by Jadeb; 01-19-2017 at 10:59 AM.

With Batman his costume is dark and somewhat monochromatic so it's not so obvious he is or isn't wearing trunks. With Superman, it's a colorful costume so it's more obvious when the red trunks are missing.
    The red breaks up the vast expanse of blue with Superman. With Batman all is does is make an area darker grey than the rest of the costume. So in summary it is more obvious Superman isn't wearing trunks
    than it is Batman isn't wearing trunks.