Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    I am more than willing to be patient with a series. But, "Rebirth" was introduced a year ago, after several years of DC flailing around with no evident direction or plan. And, beyond some cover-banners, there has been next to nothing since then. By the time the relevant issues ship, it will have been just shy of a year. At this point, I have moved on and lost interest in an event that DC did not seem to have much of a plan for. (DC should have had this in order at least 2 years ago.)

I will stick around for a short cross-over. But, at this point, I do not trust DC enough for any long-haul events. (I wish I could. Really do. I also hope that "Rebirth" is the best damned thing to happen this year. I want it to be on my top 5. But, I ain't expecting it.)
    Rebirth is NOT just like a mini comic era. It's not New 52, I mean, this will be like pre-flashpoint 900 issue type stuff. It's only going in one direction with no end in sight.
    Pulling:
    Batman, Detective Comics, The Sentry, Mister Miracle, Venom

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

My complaint (the one that started this thread) is that DC announced "Rebirth" last spring. Then, after the one-shot, they did nothing but banners on the covers of relaunched series. Now, almost a year later (by the time these comics ship), DC is going to be doing all that "Rebirth" stuff....just to move pieces around.

Even if I had some faith that DC had a plan in this case, I would be just about beyond caring.

I stuck around through "Night of the Monster Men", and will sit through this, as long as it is not a drawn out thing. Reboot type events are best handled like "Zero Hour". A chaotic month or so, followed by a clean relaunch. "Rebirth" was an announcement, followed by a significant lull, and now something that resembles the promised event.

The biggest problem with DC for the last ~5 years has been a lack of direction and focus. I am hoping this is not more of that.
    I'd hardly call seeding various plot threads and dropping clues throughout various books "doing nothing" with Rebirth. There's a lot more going on here then DC simply slapping a new banner on their books and calling it a day. Honestly after all the rushed and messy events over at Marvel that normally hijack their entire line of books I'd rather DC take their time here and allow the various plot lines unfold more organically using smaller crossovers across their line to build it up.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Astonishing Member

Rebirth only started June last year, and at least DC is making a point of developing the mystery unlike what happened with New 52. We never did find out why Pandora wanted Barry to merge the three worlds together, the Watchmen thing coming off as a retroactive explanation to give that period closure. In the grand scheme of things, six months isn't that big of a deal to wait for something like The Button. It's given the individual titles that have and will be involved the chance and time to develop as individual titles instead of thrusting them into the core Rebirth arc right away. The twice monthly shipping helps the timeframe as well.

Mighty Member

At this point, I have gone 10+ issues of "Batman" with nary a mention of "Rebirth". I moved on....forgot. Don't care no more. Now, when I see DC pushing "Rebirth", I am not seeing a "seeded plot" or "developed mystery". I am seeing "the thing they should have gotten done by now".

Like I said, I made it through "Night of the Monster Men", and will get through this. But, "DC moving the pieces for the sake of moving the pieces" should not become a regular thing.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

At this point, I have gone 10+ issues of "Batman" with nary a mention of "Rebirth". I moved on....forgot. Don't care no more. Now, when I see DC pushing "Rebirth", I am not seeing a "seeded plot" or "developed mystery". I am seeing "the thing they should have gotten done by now".
    You missed Saturn Girl in #9, then.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Except that DC told people from the start that the overarching Rebirth story line would take two years to come to fruition and DC has been seeding plot and developing the mystery in a slew of other titles. There is no "the thing they should have gotten done by now" and no " moving pieces for the sake of moving pieces". It there if you know where to look or if your reading more than just on Rebirth title. Heck, it's in Batman. Saturn Girl is a part of the overall story and she appeared in Batman issue #9 for one and Gotham and Gotham Girl got their powers from a third party who I suspect might have been Dr. Manhatten or Mr. Oz for another. King just plays things a bit closer to the chest the other writers so his clues aren't so obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    You missed Saturn Girl in #9, then.
    yep and Gotham and Gotham Girl bought their powers from an undisclosed third party who could have been Dr. Manhatten or Mr. Oz. There are clues here and elsewhere in the DCU.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

I really appreciate them giving us few clues at a time and story progressing as an epic mystery behind all these arcs, throwing it in our faces would be a horrible thing to do, I'm enjoying pace they are taking with Rebirth. Can't wait for this crossover.
    With blood and rage of crimson red,
    Ripped from a corpse so freshly dead,
    Together with our hellish hate,
    We'll burn you all,
    That is your fate!

BANNED

who will watch the watchmen? Well who are better suited than flash who routinely explores the mysteries of multiverse and batman who designed brother eye which was used in mapping the multi verse during infinite crisis? As for the mysterious third party could it be baby darkseid looking for his lost puberty?

It baffles me that people are getting impatient re: rebirth.

Do people want the 2 events a year snake eating its tale (event > lead up to next event > event > so on) that Marvel has been guilty of?

Let the books breathe, let the creators tell their story, and I'll be content to wait until mini's like this pop up.

I would rather have these small crossovers that only put the main plot on hold for a couple weeks peppered throughout the year(s) leading up to the big story rather then a giant even that takes month and puts every single book on hold, which then has everything start back over again afterwards anyway, so fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    It baffles me that people are getting impatient re: rebirth.

Do people want the 2 events a year snake eating its tale (event > lead up to next event > event > so on) that Marvel has been guilty of?

Let the books breathe, let the creators tell their story, and I'll be content to wait until mini's like this pop up.
    It baffles me too. I really don't want DC to become stuck in the same cycle as Marvel is right now. Personally, I think that type of event cycle is too disruptive and that all it does is hijack a writer's ability to tell the story the way they want to tell it. This leads to rushed and/or even botched endings to story arcs among other things. I'd much rather DC took it's time with this event instead of rushing it through like Marvel's latest offering.

I am excited they are gonna get back to addressing Rebirth stuff. I am also a sucker for both titles, so will probably read up.
    Superhero shows are trash

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

While I'm kinda interested in the Rebirth (Watchmen) aspect, I'm actually mostly excited for this simply because it's a Batman/Flash team up story.

Such little teamup arcs in main books don't happen enough.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

I really enjoy DC's approach to Rebirth. I like how the titles work independently of each other, while also teasing bigger mysteries across the board.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    While I'm kinda interested in the Rebirth (Watchmen) aspect, I'm actually mostly excited for this simply because it's a Batman/Flash team up story.

Such little teamup arcs in main books don't happen enough.
    I'm excited because of the team up here as well. I wish they would start doing more little team up arcs actually.