Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Amazing Spider-Man #23 preview

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Is that the preview for ASM 23? If so, thanks. Quite tense between them, and I am simultaneously relieved and disappointed that Slott will not be addressing Sins Past. Relieved because it's easier to keep pretending that didn't happen, but disappointed because, if this is the real Gwen Stacy, or as close to real as it can get, then that is a humongous elephant in the room not to address. After all, now that they both have a second chance, shouldn't they be able to finally be fully honest with each other? Ok, maybe I'm more disappointed than relieved, because as utterly awful as Sins Past was, the only reason we could pretend it never happened was that we knew Gwen was never coming back, but now that she is back, assuming she's the real deal or close enough . . .
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Clone-Gwen saying Spider-Gwen is "so young" feels really weird. Wasn't Gwen still in College when she was killed? Somewhere around 19-21? While Spider-Gwen is supposed to be 19.

Nah, I'm with the clone, the two Gwen's are really nothing alike, just like practically every Gwen Stacy when you think about it .

And I am so glad Peter isn't letting another Gwen clone effect him that much and is just telling it how it is.

Ah, there's the classic Gwen tears...

Though going from Cheung's Gwen to Camuncoli's Gwen is kind of jarring.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Clone-Gwen saying Spider-Gwen is "so young" feels really weird. Wasn't Gwen still in College when she was killed? Somewhere around 19-21? While Spider-Gwen is supposed to be 19.
    Has this clone been aged to around Peter's age or grown at all (I'm not reading any of the Clone Conspiracy books)?

I'm surprised she's almost as tall as Peter (though she's got heels on).

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Is that the preview for ASM 23? If so, thanks. Quite tense between them, and I am simultaneously relieved and disappointed that Slott will not be addressing Sins Past. Relieved because it's easier to keep pretending that didn't happen, but disappointed because, if this is the real Gwen Stacy, or as close to real as it can get, then that is a humongous elephant in the room not to address. After all, now that they both have a second chance, shouldn't they be able to finally be fully honest with each other? Ok, maybe I'm more disappointed than relieved, because as utterly awful as Sins Past was, the only reason we could pretend it never happened was that we knew Gwen was never coming back, but now that she is back, assuming she's the real deal or close enough . . .
    Well, nothing is beneath Marvel at this point, I learned that from the burn they gave me years back. The good deaths are the deaths that last for 10 to 20 years or more. Plus, with Norman and Harry not staying dead, it was all a question of when other dead characters would somehow be back. As wierd as I may sound, this panel made me LMAO. Peter Parker is a dick. You don't talk to someone about their weight, and you don't tell them they are a clone.

so. i like that we're exploring the nature of clones here as well as possible the nature of the new u clones in particular vs previous types.

i also like the friendly chat re bands and mj, it really goes a long way to showing that this gwen is (for all intents and purposes) really gwen.

the flub from peter re clones is forgiveable- even in this pc age, we still screw up with sensitivity. and he's not a dick since he immediately recognises this slip and apologises.
    troo fan or death

The semantics games is infuriating. "This" Gwen IS a clone, regardless. her original body expired. However this Gwen "came back", "regenerated", "was born", however you want to spin it, it's not the original, unharmed Gwen, period. This Gwen didn't earn any of the memories that she possesses from OG.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    The semantics games is infuriating. "This" Gwen IS a clone, regardless. her original body expired.
    In that we are in agreement (Different body).

However this Gwen "came back", "regenerated", "was born", however you want to spin it, it's not the original, unharmed Gwen, period. This Gwen didn't earn any of the memories that she possesses from OG.
    But what if she has the original Gwen's soul?

I would really love if we were to learn the specifics of the new "reanimation"/"cloning" process in this issue, specially those regarding the "psychic imprint" stuff, and finally settle once and for all if they are the same people they were cloned from or not.
    Last edited by MarioHerald; 01-12-2017 at 06:51 PM.

The semantics games is infuriating. "This" Gwen IS a clone, regardless. her original body expired. However this Gwen "came back", "regenerated", "was born", however you want to spin it, it's not the original, unharmed Gwen, period. This Gwen didn't earn any of the memories that she possesses from OG.
    except, not semantics. the comics explain the in universe logic, it's of course your choice to accept it or not.

any superhero resurrection where the body was destroyed and then recreated would be similar. cable went through several cloned bodies, though he is still cable while stryfe is his clone. etc etc
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by MarioHerald View Post
    But what if she has the original Gwen's soul?
    which is what the psychic imprint stuff is all about. it hasn't been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt (as you say), but the reasoning has been laid out plainly enough.
    troo fan or death

It's cloning. It doesn't matter how many memories they have they're still clones.
    People are not just memories.

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdSpider View Post
    It's cloning. It doesn't matter how many memories they have they're still clones.
    People are not just memories.
    the confirmation bias is powerful.
    troo fan or death

This Gwen didn't earn any of the memories that she possesses from OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by WeirdSpider View Post
    It's cloning. It doesn't matter how many memories they have they're still clones. People are not just memories.
    Y'all act like you've got PhD's in philosophy.

Questions of consciousness and identity are much more complex than you're making them out to be.

-Pav, who (again, again) recommends the graphic novel "Last Days of an Immortal" because it helped stretch his thinking about these issues...
    Last edited by Pav; 01-12-2017 at 08:09 PM.
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Question

I still don't see the point of bringing 616 Gwen back permanently: in particularly given Peter's status quo of no meaningful long-term romantic entanglements, as such her presence seems redundant. Frankly, she was always a rather bland character having minimal development beyond that of a standard 1960s/1970s era love interest. Which stands in stark contrast to her counterpart Spider-Gwen. Speaking of which, I can not help but wonder if the latter never existed and had never achieved her insane level of popularity if 616 Gwen would have been "resurrected".
    Last edited by Celgress; 01-12-2017 at 07:56 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Ya'll act like you've got PhD's in philosophy.

Questions of consciousness and identity are much more complex than you're making them out to be.

-Pav, who (again, again) recommends the graphic novel "Last Days of an Immortal"...
    yeah, i fall into the camp that memories are ALL that we are

but that's besides the point, really. it seems like you need to have a willful blindspot to not only ignore what is plainly stated in the books, but also in several posts on this thread.

i mean, argue the point, or show us why you don't like it. but don't pretend it isn't there.
    troo fan or death