Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default wonder woman's "role" in unchained?

can someone explain to me why scott snyder even bothered to include diana in unchained if she can't even speak? my guess is snyder needed a plot device to make batgod fighting wraith seem plausible, but he didn't even need diana for that.

He was aknowledging teh universe! We cant have a story without referring the rest of the world, or Superman's girlfriend! Azzarello does that and it's blasphemy!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    He was aknowledging teh universe! We cant have a story without referring the rest of the world, or Superman's girlfriend! Azzarello does that and it's blasphemy!
    if your going to do that, do it right. she didn't speak and got snuck up on wraith, who's no better then zod or faora.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kidstandout View Post
    if your going to do that, do it right. she didn't speak and got snuck up on wraith, who's no better then zod or faora.
    Dr Hurt was being ironic.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    hahaha

She fought well, but the meat of the fight is for Superman. Wraith is better than both faora and zod, he completely masters his powers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Dr Hurt was being ironic.
    yeah i noticed, doesn't effect my point. diana not even getting any speaking lines makes her come off like generic muscle. her cameo in unchained is pointless as snyder could of delayed batman needing help until superman shows up. but then he would have too pull more batgod crap out of his ass. he didn't want to include her in the story anyway, so why have her show up?
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    hahaha

She fought well, but the meat of the fight is for Superman. Wraith is better than both faora and zod, he completely masters his powers.
    zod kicked supes ass without "mastering" his powers, he would stomp wraith no problem
    Last edited by kidstandout; 07-05-2014 at 05:05 PM.

Astonishing Member

yeah i noticed, doesn't effect my point
    Kind of does though; I think Hurt is saying her appearance was kind of pointless lip service to the shared universe.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    Kind of does though; I think Hurt is saying her appearance was kind of pointless lip service to the shared universe.
    if that's what he meant, i can agree with that. i just find it funny how this reflects alot of the same problems with unchained that people accuse other books of having, pointless cameos

BANNED

zod kicked supes ass without "mastering" his powers, he would stomp wraith no problem
    how? Wraith is much more time on earth, is trained and knows everything about his powers. Only a bad writer to do it happen

BANNED

how? Wraith is much more time on earth, is trained and knows everything about his powers. Only a bad writer to do it happen
    again zod's fighting prowess> wraiths. with less training and "mastering" he wooped supes twice. and zod has consistently mastered his powers in less time then supes, unchained hyping wraith doesn't change the fact that on paper zod stomps thanks to his fighting prowess that he built up for years as the general of krypton. but enough feeding your derailment attempt.

poitnless cameo is pointless cameo

BANNED

again zod's fighting prowess> wraiths. with less training and "mastering" he wooped supes twice. and zod has consistently mastered his powers in less time then supes, unchained hyping wraith doesn't change the fact that on paper zod stomps thanks to his fighting prowess that he built up for years as the general of krypton. but enough feeding your derailment attempt.

poitnless cameo is pointless cameo
    Supes isn't trained or master his powers like wraith; Zod hasn't mastered in full his powers in such little time. In Unchained wraith gave superman tips on how to use his power.

BANNED

Supes isn't trained or master his powers like wraith; Zod hasn't mastered in full his powers in such little time. In Unchained wraith gave superman tips on how to use his power.
    offtopic derail is offtopic derail discuss that somewhere else.

hahaha

Fought well? Really? That's a joke. Don't know how it missed you since you such a fan but she is a goddess and takes on Gods too. She gets her butt handed to her way too quickly...even if it is a Superman book. The fight was nothing to showcase Wonder Woman but Batman until Superman showed up. If the fight was good we would have seen Diana do a little more than be Batman's secret weapon to show up when he deemed it and then get walloped in no time regardless it is a Superman book and he has to deal with Wraith. And please don't tell me lifting the giant penny is a great feat for new 52 WW. And as kidstandout said...not one word of dialogue given to her. Not in the last issue where she stood like a mute next to clever Batman and now here when Batman gets to be all witty too, she is not even effective as muscle. I think the lack of dialogue is really bizarre. The female member of the Trinity shows up in two issues and is on the cover and not a word? Really?

Maybe Snyder has something of use for her to say next issue and something to do that is all about her and not to pander to Batman but it's a poor showing for a writer who said this is going to be his first chance to write Diana. Certainly does not make me think...oh yeah get Scott Snyder on Wonder Woman asap. Snyder could have created a Bat sentinel to do what Diana did. It was just to get her on the cover to make people think oooh WW...the Trinity. Waste of time really if one wanted to see a good WW cameo.
    Last edited by hellacre; 07-05-2014 at 06:15 PM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Few points.....

-In the Superman/Wonder Woman book Superman is defeated by Zod for the most part. This scene was done incorrectly because it was insinuating that Superman in all his 27 or so years of using his powers has not learned how to use them effectively. We know this to be untrue because of literally all of his other books that are not SM/WW. In those books he's dang near a master of his powers in comparison to other Kryptonian's (aside from He'l....who btw he still fought more effectively). Soule decide that he would ignore that and say Zod won because of military and combat training. While that is an asset, yes. It is debatable how that would stake up to a master of powers like Superman.

-Wraith has been on Earth since 1939 sucking up sun and mastering his powers to an even greater effect than Superman himself. He's also had 75 years of military training to go along with his power mastery. He is tactical, smart, skilled, and ridiculously powerful. He is so good with his powers that he has been teaching Superman about them, and Superman is no slouch in the Unchained book with is powers. He's been shown to use his mind and powers in interesting and effective ways to make an impossible situation possible. So with all that said Wraith should logically beat the pants off Zod due to skill with his powers, time with them, imagination with them, and military skill. It's simple logic.

-It then makes more than good sense that Wonder Woman would be beaten up by him. He's possibly the strongest and one of the most skilled opponents she has faced to be quite honest.

-Is there a real point to her being in the book? Snyder said that there would be. He said something along the lines of Superman getting the points of view from some of his closet friends in this book. Don't know how much he's followed up on that though.

-My opinion? I don't care for the book really. I do see why you'd put her in the book given her current relationship with the main character, but maybe slightly more could have been done with her.

PS: Always with this Batman hate? I thought he was fine. He's a superhero on a team with Superman, Flash, Wonder Woman etc.......shouldn't he be just as amazing in his own way?
    Last edited by Superlad93; 07-05-2014 at 06:38 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post

-My opinion? I don't care for the book really. I do see why you'd put her in the book given her current relationship with the main character, but maybe slightly more could have been done with her.

PS: Always with this Batman hate? I thought he was fine. He's a superhero on a team with Superman, Flash, Wonder Woman etc.......shouldn't he be just as amazing in his own way?
    snyder himself said he didn't want to focus on smww in unchained, which makes the cameo even more pointless

and about the zod comparison with wraith, that scene was implying zod has more tactics when it comes to combat and fighting skill, not powers. and the fact that zod was able to do so with little mastery of his powers goes to show how great his combat skill is, that was the whole point of diana lecturing supes about training more. now we don't know how long zod's military training was but kryptonian military training>earth's. were talking about a guy with world conquering military training. if you feel otherwise and want to discuss this pm me, since this going off topic

edit- diana not being able to fight wraith when she has fought against multiple people in the same power bracket(doomsday, firstborn, zod, supergirl) is bs, plain and simple. we're talking about the one who stabbed darkseid's eye.
    Last edited by kidstandout; 07-05-2014 at 07:09 PM.