Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    I don't know if it would though. There were substantially more people who were attached to Peter and MJ as a married couple than there are those who are attached to Nuperman. Again, even several major websites got in on chastising Marvel for erasing the marriage. I don't see the same backlash against DC to get Nuperman back. In fact, the backlash that DC experienced was instead to get Pre-Flashpoint Superman back and to put things back the way they were before Flashpoint.
    Pretty much.

Erasing the Spider-marriage was actually akin to getting rid of the Super-marriage - in both cases perceived as a 'rolling back' of the progress the characters made over the last couple of decades. Of course, in terms of the actual mechanism for the change, Spider-Man was affected minimally compared to Superman, who was actually rebooted along with the rest of the DCU. Also, in Spider-Man's case, there has been progress made on other fronts with the character and the stories of the new single Spidey have largely been good (or at least mostly not bad). Not the case with Superman in the New 52.

As far as a Nuperman book goes - I've said it before and I'll say it again, a Superman book set in the past would cater to that market while at the same time fleshing out Superman's backstory in the Rebirth universe. A 'Superman Year One' - style series would feature a younger, single Superman and honestly, he would be indistinguishable from 'Nuperman'.

Omnes Viae Ad Infernum 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The legendary Fortress Of Solitude, the strangest place on earth

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Action Comics #978:

“Superman Reborn Aftermath” part two! Superman’s life has been changed, some good is back, but the bad is back as well—with a vengeance! As Superman’s allies gather to address the looming threat of Mr. Oz, another Squad seeks revenge against the Man of Steel—and you won’t believe who made the team!

https://www.comixology.com/Action-Co...xpc3Qvc2VyaWVz
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Superman Revenge Squad returns, eh? I would say the surprise new member is New Clark, but I'm anticipating his true identity revealed by this time already.
    Will it be Morrison's Revenge Squad, though? Hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.

Yeah, whether he's actually tangibly read a Superman comic I sure don't know, but he's at the very least aware of the mythos and origins. I imagine the entire world is at this point. Whether Tomasi and Gleason have gained any inspiration the other way around, that's obviously debatable, and outside of outright asking them we won't know, but I've just seem what I see as similarities on a personal level. And hell I don't even consider it a bad thing if true. I've been a proponent for some time now that they should make the Eradicator the equivilant of Piccolo and bring him back to slowly start to turn him into a protagonist due to the positive influence of Jon.
    And those who - inexplicably - aren't, are heretic infidels who must be punished.

Quote Originally Posted by 666MasterOfPuppets View Post
    Will it be Morrison's Revenge Squad, though? Hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.
    I'm expecting a completely new Revenge Squad, maybe made up of past villains or villains Jurgens has been using.

As far as a Nuperman book goes - I've said it before and I'll say it again, a Superman book set in the past would cater to that market while at the same time fleshing out Superman's backstory in the Rebirth universe. A 'Superman Year One' - style series would feature a younger, single Superman and honestly, he would be indistinguishable from 'Nuperman'.
    It wouldn't for me, and while I don't want to definitively speak for other likeminded fans, I don't think that's what they're looking for either. I'm looking for stories where I can read a younger Superman with a fresh history. Not just reading about the past. Its not the same thing. Reading about the past isn't the same when you know what the future holds. I'd like something self-contained to follow from the beginning as it grows, not knowing where its headed. Now I mean, if they want to do that for Rebirth Superman, that's cool, I'd read that too. But at the same time that wouldn't fill in my desire on what I and other likeminded fans are looking for here. I'm not trying to insinuate we're owed any of this by the way, just hypothetically speaking, is all.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-18-2017 at 05:32 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

It wouldn't for me, and while I don't want to definitively speak for other likeminded fans, I don't think that's what they're looking for either. I'm looking for stories where I can read a younger Superman with a fresh history. Not just reading about the past. Its not the same thing. Reading about the past isn't the same when you know what the future holds. I'd like something self-contained to follow from the beginning as it grows, not knowing where its headed. Now I mean, if they want to do that for Rebirth Superman, that's cool, I'd read that too. But at the same time that wouldn't fill in my desire on what I and other likeminded fans are looking for here. I'm not trying to insinuate we're owed any of this by the way, just hypothetically speaking, is all.
    What if the series was a kind of LoTDK-like series...not strictly in continuity? That way, fans of the present-day Superman books could consider the book to be backstory (or not) as they please while fans exclusively of the book could assume that the present-day books are only 'one possible future' for the character.

Honestly though, its a matter of semantics. When you're doing a reboot for as well-established a character as Superman, at some level its always bound to be a prequel in at least a spiritual sense, if not strictly continuity-wise. The Superman-Lois relationship is so ingrained in the mythos of the character that you can reboot Superman however much you like - he's eventually going to end up with Lois. And even if you don't ever reach that point explicitly with a particular version of the character, it will be strongly implied as the major possible future for him.

Even if the New 52 Superman, for all his perceived 'freshness' hadn't been killed off/erased and carried on for another 10 years or so, at some point he would have gotten together with NuLois as well. There's only so long they could have progressed before some writer came along and recreated his 'classic' destiny.

You might cite the Pre-COIE Superman as an example where this wasn't the case. But even there, while Earth 1 Superman never reached his 'final' destiny with Lois (though he was involved with her on and off), there was always the Earth 2 Superman, an older version of the character (read: possible future, for all intents and purposes) who DID end up with Lois.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm expecting a completely new Revenge Squad, maybe made up of past villains or villains Jurgens has been using.
    That also could be interesting. As long as it's well written. It could be the perfect chance to overhaul or at least put to work unused villains.

Back when Cyborg Superman first came on the scene, tests conclusively proved he was really Superman. So really, those Fortress tests don't mean a thing. The "scientific test" angle can be and often are deceiving for the sake of plot.
    If they are going for the Red/Blue saga and Death and Return homage, it would made sense, Henshaw was the villain of the latest and if i remenber correctly he was the responsable for the split Superman back in the 90s. Althought, i think that Hank lost interest on Clark long time ago.
    I still think that Conduit could be an option too, Kenny wanted to be like Kent and now that he has the oportunity to win everything that Clark have and slaping it into his face, this would be like christmas for him. Also they probably would do a meta comentary about how Superman hasn´t pay much attentio to his alter ego in the last 8 years.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Just realized that issue 20 says this....

SUPERMAN #20
    Written by PETER J. TOMASI and PATRICK GLEASON • Art by PATRICK GLEASON and MICK GRAY • Cover by PATRICK GLEASON • Variant cover by TONY S. DANIEL
    “Superman Black” part one! A “Superman Reborn Aftermath” tie-in! As the smoke clears the Kents are faced with leaving Hamilton to go back to Metropolis, but someone or something doesn’t want them to leave! Batman and Robin discover something is mysteriously wrong with the son of Superman—he’s losing his powers!

That means that somehow the Kents living in Hamilton happened. That means somehow Trinity and Superman 1-7 happens. How do they link it? For stuff like Trinity, the whole hook is the fact that it's a new Superman.

Clark also remembers fighting the villain of Reborn, so that happens. I'm sure they're cooking up a way to make sure you could still by the books from their successful Rebirth relaunch even after this.
    Bumping a old thread I know, but I was just reading through old solicits and saw this post and it did make me wonder about the status quo post reborn. It's pretty weird we are supposed to have a new timeline for Superman with superdad integrated, but at the same time, the Kent's lived in Hamilton. I'm curious as to how that plot point will work Why did they even bother leaving Metropolis at this rate..just a lot of questions.

Fantastic Member

Why does superman have to be with Lois!!!! I mean it, if one day in comics we really get to see the characters age, and see how superman may lead to say a kingdom come timeline or whatever it maybe, Lois would say in the long run, unless were always getting the same boring stuff where characters are rebooted. Nuperman was meant to be a fresh start

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Bumping a old thread I know, but I was just reading through old solicits and saw this post and it did make me wonder about the status quo post reborn. It's pretty weird we are supposed to have a new timeline for Superman with superdad integrated, but at the same time, the Kent's lived in Hamilton. I'm curious as to how that plot point will work Why did they even bother leaving Metropolis at this rate..just a lot of questions.
    Questions which will be answered in the first Action Comics of April no doubt.