Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Ooooooo that also reminds me, I get to have my "sorry kiddo, we gotta move" issue told by Tomasi and Gleason! A somber "see ya around" to Kathy. This also opens the gate up wide to let Jon fully take over Hamilton County as his stomping grounds.

Within a year I fully expect a sign saying "Welcome to Hamilton County: Home of The Superboy" to be a thing. I can see it now: Jon making his dad, mom, or Krypto drop him off at Hamilton for the weekend. He builds up a little fan base there, and he has Hardy Boys style adventures/mysteries there with Kathy. Also because it's not the freakin stone age, Jon and Kathy facetime a bunch. This all allows Hamilton's cast to still be in play, and adding to the Superman myth.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post

I have to admit, this is a great cover. I can kind of hear the theme song of the old Lois and Clark TV show going through my head.

*However* what stands out to me in a negative way is that I don't really see anything that the New52 Superman did and that the Post-Crisis Superman didn't do in this montage. I mean, sure, I'd expect that they might ret-con the costume (As they did for the Post-Crisis moments), but where are the moments from new52 Superman's life? We're assuming that the red boots and the one cover with both Supermen mean a merger, but this cover doesn't really show me any new52 elements. I do kind of remember New52 Superman rescuing the Daily Planet ball and breaking Kryptonite chains, but Post-Crisis Superman did those things, too, didn't he?

It concerns me that new52 Superman's essence and adventures aren't clearly represented here. I have a bad feeling about this, like they might tease combining them and then just restore the Post-Crisis Superman without a merger. I hope I'm wrong and that his memories and personality get folded in a little bit to the Superman who'll be there going forward.

I do think the idea of them leaving Hamilton for Metropolis and really being folded into the universe's history is long overdue, if we're stuck with SuoerDad for the long haul. It was very odd to be going back to a more traditional Superman and then see that he was a farmer instead of a reporter, not named Clark Kent, had a son, didn't work at the Daily Planet, didn't live in Metropolis, etc.. We needed those elements back, so thet're doing the right thing in that respect. Hopefully the issue solicit that shows some hiccups in the process of leaving Hamilton doesn't result in them staying. Superman should live in Metropolis and work days as Daily Planet reporter Clark Kent.

However, throwing a bone to fans of the new52 Superman is long overdue. We need a sense that those adventures still count and that whomever the Superman is going forward remembers having taken part in them, even if he has two sets of memories for that time period or something.
    Last edited by SuperCrab; 01-13-2017 at 01:38 PM.

I'd be more comfortbale if I knew for sure Jon was getting folded in to the proper timeline, which I think is like, 90% likely but still without confirmation I'm nervous. Otherwise all looks fine.

As for the suit: Say Jim, woo! That is a bad outfit!
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I know you're trying to find out where I hang my cape. YOU WON'T.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightsilver View Post
    The Superman books continue to please me. It really looks like we're getting the "Ultimate Superman" that he needs to be. No more Pre-Crisis/Post-Crisis division...just Superman.
    I'm onboard with this and quite frankly, is exactly what is needed regardless of the overall crisis of multiple Earth's or whatever. One Superman and one Superman ONLY is how I always read the character so it would be poetic for everything to merge as the Ultimate Superman.

I read both and I prefer New 52 Superman. As a character, he talks to me a lot more than Superdad. That is not to say that the latter isn't a good character, but I don't like him like I did New 52's. D.C. went out of its way to absolutely destroy Wonder Woman's relationship with Superman (the New52 one, the true one to me) by returning her to her roots (as if they had any worth in today's world and weren't a problem, but that's another story), now it is clearly erasing the Superman I loved and cared about out of continuity for no good reason at all (now, I would have to go and read decades of stories I don't necessarily want to read to get the same attachment to Superdad that I did to Superman), so i'll drop this title, and probably all of the Superline, because it will be affected far too much for my taste by this development (which is a shame, I liked New Super-Man and Superwoman).

I'll return to Batman's line -sans Supersons obviously-, hoping that it won't be affected too much by Rebirth (they better not erase Zero Year to replace it by Year One, for instance, it would be the straw that broke the camel back) and Aquaman. Then when (if ?) they are indeed far too much afflicted by Rebirth, I'll just drop out of comics altogether and return to manga and B.D. like I did before the New 52.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 01-13-2017 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Wow, it looks like they really listened to the fans. The costume looks awesome. It fixes the one problem I had with Rebirth's design (the blue boots).
    I think it was intentional the whole time. They skirted around the explanation as just trying something different, but I'm pretty sure its going to turn out that it was always intended to symbolically signify that he was not whole, not balanced. I am surprised they dropped the cuffs though. I never really liked them much but I thought they'd keep that bit of blatant DCEU connection.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post

We need that gif here like,now....
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Glad to see the end of the completely random cuffs and a return of the boots. Also happy about the addition of some yellow to the belt, but the new design looks like he's wearing part of Wonder Woman's logo.

What's with both him and Batman wearing uncomfortable, pointy belts?

I do wish he'd at least gotten the New 52 red trim on the cuffs though. I loved that.

I'd be more comfortbale if I knew for sure Jon was getting folded in to the proper timeline, which I think is like, 90% likely but still without confirmation I'm nervous. Otherwise all looks fine.

He would have to be, because Supersons.

I mean changing his history so that he was born on Earth and raised as Jonathan Kent, not born on Telos then time traveling to an earlier point in time only to be raised as Jonathan White. That all going part and parcel with history being changed so that there was indeed only ever one Superman and Lois.

Oh and I'm going to fix this (note: this isn't real, this is me theorizing):

ACTION COMICS #977
    Written by DAN JURGENS • Art by IAN CHURCHILL • Cover by ANDY KUBERT • Variant cover by GARY FRANK
    “Superman Reborn Aftermath” part one! Following the epic struggle against Hank Henshaw the original Cyborg Superman, Superman examines his entire history—the birth of Jon, the marriage of Lois and Clark, their lives at the Daily Planet—to discover who tried to destroy his life. Who is waiting in the shadows? Who is Mr. Oz? All questions the Man of Steel cannot answer alone. It is time for him to unite the entire Superman-Family!
    On sale APRIL 12 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

They still can do something like that in the future. There's a built-in way to explore something like that and has been for over a decade now since they brought the multiverse back. I still have hope they could one day do that with Superman and New 52 fans can get something similar to what they enjoyed the past 5 years. I argue its a downright smart business decision, but its up to them and if they'll ever get over their "there can only ever be one" mindset with their verse.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I mean changing his history so that he was born on Earth and raised as Jonathan Kent, not born on Telos then time traveling to an earlier point in time only to be raised as Jonathan White. That all going part and parcel with history being changed so that there was indeed only ever one Superman and Lois.
    The solicit for #977 makes it feel like everything has been folded over. I mean, wouldn't see much of a reason to recap everything (including Jon's birth) if it were the same thing as before. It seems the stuff listed are all going to be part of the "new" history.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Ooooooo that also reminds me, I get to have my "sorry kiddo, we gotta move" issue told by Tomasi and Gleason! A somber "see ya around" to Kathy. This also opens the gate up wide to let Jon fully take over Hamilton County as his stomping grounds.

Within a year I fully expect a sign saying "Welcome to Hamilton County: Home of The Superboy" to be a thing. I can see it now: Jon making his dad, mom, or Krypto drop him off at Hamilton for the weekend. He builds up a little fan base there, and he has Hardy Boys style adventures/mysteries there with Kathy. Also because it's not the freakin stone age, Jon and Kathy facetime a bunch. This all allows Hamilton's cast to still be in play, and adding to the Superman myth.
    Clark built a bullet train under Hamilton. Maybe Jon uses a secret tunnel his dad built to go to Hamilton.