Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BeefBourguignon View Post
    I don't think the "outmoded fashion" argument is a good one. A cape and long boots are as much out of date as trunks. But Superman is incomplete without them. I do like Reborn version much more than Rebirth version, and lots more than the New 52 version, however. It is good to have yellow on the belt back.
    It's an even odder argument considering it's now common to see guys wearing short gym shorts over leggings when running or working out. You're more likely to see someone in the trunks-n-tights look than ever before.
    Last edited by Jadeb; 01-14-2017 at 12:26 PM.

No!!!

10char
    #MagnetoWasRight

Resident of Central City RedWhiteAndBlueSupes's Avatar

I find it amusing that we're on the third or fourth attempt to redesign Superman's costume since 2011, and things have ALMOST come full circle. We're almost back to the original, but someone at DC is just too embarassed over the "underwear on the outside" jokes to just admit that they should have left well enough alone.
    yeah at least it made sense during the early days of New 52, his costume was different enough, but now it's just getting ridiculous, I mean he's on like what, more like his seventh costume design if you include the John romita Jr one that lasted for like two issues. I mean he's had like 7 different red belts. I don't think you can blame corporate Synergy at this point either.

Quote Originally Posted by BeefBourguignon View Post
    I don't think the "outmoded fashion" argument is a good one. A cape and long boots are as much out of date as trunks.
    I would add plunging necklines and wearing glasses as a disguise to that list lol

My only thing is, I've liked every costume designed without trunks. I don't mind the trunks at all. I was always open to them trying to update the design, but I never really demanded it, and never really anticipated a time when they'd actually try it. But when it happened, I liked them all. I liked the New 52 costume. I liked the Smallville costume. I liked the Earth 2 costume, I liked the MOS costume. All to varying degrees, as each had their faults, but I liked them. And now this new one...it pretty much succeeds in those failed aspects of the earlier ones I already liked anyway. To me they have a winner, and really no sense in going back now, even if they could. Which I still steadfastly believe isn't a possibility anyway, not for many years.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    And now this new one...it pretty much succeeds in those failed aspects of the earlier ones I already liked anyway. To me they have a winner, and really no sense in going back now, even if they could. Which I still steadfastly believe isn't a possibility anyway, not for many years.
    Well let me just prevaricate on that last point. I think the trunks do exist. We see them enough in flashbacks--so they seem to be a thing. They aren't something that a certain Superman wears now--but he did wear them. And many versions of Superman wear them. That's a present fact--even if the trunks are out on one of the multiple Earths and might be for many years.

What's annoying is when DC goes out of its way not to show the trunks, where in continuity it would make sense to see them. Also for other DC super-heroes--when we get flashbacks--I don't understand the need to retcon away past costume designs. It adds more to the characters when they're shown to have had multiple outfits.

I'm happy enough with the current change--and it looks like we're getting the classic S shield (or close enough) which is something I really wanted. But I like an all-inclusive Superman. The multiple Earths aside, I like to think there's just one Superman who is the sum total of every adventure--and I don't want DC avoiding pictures of trunks in the hopes people will forget about them. Trunks shouldn't be like pictures of Trotsky in the revisionist Soviet Union.

My only thing is, I've liked every costume designed without trunks. I don't mind the trunks at all. I was always open to them trying to update the design, but I never really demanded it, and never really anticipated a time when they'd actually try it. But when it happened, I liked them all. I liked the New 52 costume. I liked the Smallville costume. I liked the Earth 2 costume, I liked the MOS costume. All to varying degrees, as each had their faults, but I liked them. And now this new one...it pretty much succeeds in those failed aspects of the earlier ones I already liked anyway.
    Ultimately I don't think theres that many people out there with your costume tastes honestly. I think you illustrate the point yourself, the only part of the fanbase left that doesn't like the trunks already liked MOS/New52. I think the fact that DC keeps changing his costume and characterization(and sales #s) is proof enough that there isn't enough anti trunkers out there to sustain the mandate of a trunkless costume.
    To me they have a winner, and really no sense in going back now, even if they could. Which I still steadfastly believe isn't a possibility anyway, not for many years.
    Nah, If they were going to have a trunkless costume be a "winner" it would have happened long before now. The same people(New52 MOS Smallville Season 11 fans, what have ya) were saying they would never go back to PC Supes, or to a married Superman much less one with a kid lol. Those changes are all more radical than just going back to his classic costume, (it also proves corporate synergy isn't that strong at DC) The fact they haven't gone back to a completely classic costume proves nothing more than some editorial carryover from the New52 era is still in place at DC.(which is weird considering they have already changed his status quo in much more drastic ways already)
    Last edited by RedWhiteAndBlueSupes; 01-14-2017 at 02:54 PM.

Capes and boots look cool. Trunks look outdated. Specially when they don't look like trunks but stylized underwear.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

I'm not prepared to really comment on what tastes trump what, to be honest. All I know are my own, and I can't speak for anyone else other than that. None of us can read minds so its probably folly to try and assume how many people like trunks vs. how many people don't. Its easy to say one way or another, much harder to prove. The only data I possibly could get would be from internet polling and whatnot, and more often than not those turn out pretty much even anyway, for whatever they're even worth. So majority, minority, who knows. I do know though its hardly had any affect on sales one way or another. Not to say having the trunks had any affect on sales either. But losing them haven't hurt a lick and that certainly hurts the chances of them coming back when there's already such a strong corporate bias against them.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-14-2017 at 03:10 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    What's annoying is when DC goes out of its way not to show the trunks, where in continuity it would make sense to see them. Also for other DC super-heroes--when we get flashbacks--I don't understand the need to retcon away past costume designs. It adds more to the characters when they're shown to have had multiple outfits.
    The newest issue of the Flash features flashbacks with classic costumes. It was nicely done, I thought.

I always loved the long history of the DC universe -- it helped suck me into the universe in the first place -- and I was sad when the New 52 erased it. Acknowledging previous costumes adds a sense of time passing and makes the whole universe seem fuller and richer. Plus, it pays tribute to the creators who have gone before.

Yes. But if they don't come back, that's okay. The upcoming redesign finally has me at a place where I'm 100% into a trunkless Superman. Seriously, that belt is just perfect. If I had it my way though, they'd be back. I'd like them drawn how Darwyn Cooke drew them. Like actual trunks and not speedos. lol.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

. I do know though its hardly had any affect on sales one way or another. Not to say having the trunks had any affect on sales either. But losing them haven't hurt a lick and that certainly hurts the chances of them coming back when there's already such a strong corporate bias against them.
    I think this fact actually helps the trunks argument rather than hurt it, being the entire reason for getting rid of them, was that they turn off some readers which has been proven to be untrue. If DC hasn't been able to maintain higher sales #'s by keeping his trunkless look then there's really no credible argument for not bringing them back. Rebirth Superman has clearly been targeted at lapsed or older readers(that presumably either like his classic look or don't care either way) and sales have gone way up. Again, if Geoff Johns can increase DC overall sales by 5 million in one year, by bringing back/ teasing the pre flashpoint universe and its continuity I think its safe to say he can do almost whatever he wants to at DC at this point. I don't think the corporate bias is nearly as ironclad as you think it is,( the same corporate bias existed against a married superman(and spiderman) a few years ago), its already changed from 2011: no trunks on anyone. 2013: okay, some characters in the multiverse can have trunks. 2015: alright he can have trunks but just this once(Convergence)2016: okay, with rebirth we'll start marketing classic superman again in stores with his trunks. It seems the corporate bias is getting weaker by the year lol

I just wanted to toss this out here.

I don't know how anyone can look at this and say "yes. This is good. I looks better this way."

Quote Originally Posted by Jadeb View Post
    The newest issue of the Flash features flashbacks with classic costumes. It was nicely done, I thought.

I always loved the long history of the DC universe--it helped suck me into the universe in the first place -- and I was sad when the New 52 erased it. Acknowledging previous costumes adds a sense of time passing and makes the whole universe seem fuller and richer. Plus, it pays tribute to the creators who have gone before
    . Oh man I haven't read it yet but I gotta check it out now. I personally don't think that Rebirth would bring back past characters complete with flashbacks and memories of all of pre flashpoint continuity of they weren't planning on restoring it, and if the classic costumes exist in continuity, and the new editorially mandated costumes don't increase sales and limit marketing potential, then whats the point of keeping them?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I just wanted to toss this out here.

I don't know how anyone can look at this and say "yes. This is good. I looks better this way."

Other than the second to last one, they all look just fine.