Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Resident of Central City RedWhiteAndBlueSupes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I just wanted to toss this out here.

I don't know how anyone can look at this and say "yes. This is good. I looks better this way."

Good lord, that does look terrible, and what? did they retcon his Justice League Unlimited costume on the far left? WTH

Quote Originally Posted by RedWhiteAndBlueSupes View Post
    Good lord, that does look terrible, and what? did they retcon his Justice League Unlimited costume on the far left? WTH
    That's not a retcon, it's an action figure.

Personally I think they all look fine, although what kid wants to get five toys of the same guy is a mystery to me. I got a Superman toy set when I was kid, but it had Superman, Lois, Luthor and Brainiac in it. Much better to jump-start the imagination than five Supermans.

As for the trunks themselves- when we had them, I thought they were fine and didn't need to go anywhere, but I've adjusted to not having them, and now I'd just as soon never see 'em in a newly published book again, notwithstanding the likes of those "DC Retroactive" books they published several years ago in the style of old-school books.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I wouldn't mind their returning, but it doesn't seem to be on the list of priorities for anybody who can actually make it happen.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

In hindsight I probably should have included a poll. That would make this a little easier to judge. One thing I notice about the trunkless look is that each version is different. There is no "trunkless costume", there is just various versions without the trunks. The Smallville comic is probably the one I like the best. It at least tried to break up the blue with a different type of blue. You have the New 52 body armor, the new movies, that new cartoon, Injustice, and the various ones they give Superdad. Whereas the classic costume is just the classic costume. And, yes, they did take the Justice League figure and turn it into the New 52 version. One would think it would be easier to just not include it in the set but whatever.
    Assassinate Putin!

I prefer the trunks, but if they must go with a trunkless design, the yellow belt with red buckle from Justice League Action looks much better than the red belt in the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Like anything ever stays dead in comics ...

Quote Originally Posted by BeefBourguignon View Post
    I don't think the "outmoded fashion" argument is a good one. A cape and long boots are as much out of date as trunks.
    And don't forget the unitard. What man nowadays goes out wearing a unitard?
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Like anything ever stays dead in comics ...
    What do you expect? A "Trunks: Rebirth" storyline down the line?

Incredible Member

No... Bury this smirking block of wood... No wait they did that already... Then bury him after Justice League: Dawn of The Dead...

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

If they are going to get rid of them, they need to do something to break up all that blue. My suggestion would be something like the Smallville costume only use red on the darker blue areas. Maybe even get rid of the cape. As long as the colors are even. I'm just glad they got rid of that stupid collar!
    Assassinate Putin!

The blue doesn't really need to be broken up any more than this costume or any of the predecessors (outside the blue boots one, as that borked the distribution) already achieved. It has plenty of accent. And when it comes to accent, its not about the quantity of the accent, its just about proper placement of it. Ergo, a primarily red belt always did do enough to break up the blue in the midsection.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-14-2017 at 08:08 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Resident of Central City RedWhiteAndBlueSupes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    That's not a retcon, it's an action figure.

Supes never wore the New 52 costume in Justice League Unlimited, its a good example of the weird editorial bias against his classic look, yeah its a retcon, as in never happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    And, yes, they did take the Justice League figure and turn it into the New 52 version. One would think it would be easier to just not include it in the set but whatever.
    looks dumb

how fickle DC editorial is these days? I wouldn't be surprised if we had a whole "Return of the Trunks" mini-series to be followed up by a line wide crossover lol....I actually like the current Earth-1 costume, its a good example of a trunk wearing superman who still honors modern style.
    Last edited by RedWhiteAndBlueSupes; 01-14-2017 at 09:14 PM.

If I had the talent, I would totally make a mock-up cover for that. I'm picturing the trunks flying through the air all dramatically by themselves with cover blurbs announcing their dramatic return.

Quote Originally Posted by RedWhiteAndBlueSupes View Post
    how fickle DC editorial is these days? I wouldn't be surprised if we had a whole "Return of the Trunks" mini-series to be followed up by a line wide crossover lol...
    If I had the talent, I would totally make a mock-up cover for that. I'm picturing the trunks flying through the air all dramatically by themselves with cover blurbs announcing their dramatic return.
    We'll find out that one of the mysteries of Rebirth is that, for some reason, Dr. Manhattan has removed the trunks from the heroes during Flashpoint. Batman and the Flash will investigate to find the truth.