Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Power Pack Appreciation

I really loved the first thirty issues or so done by Lousie Simonson, June Brigman, and Jon Bogdanove. It was a great book about kids but not necessarily for kids. I can't say I cared for what followed after Jim Shooter left Marvel. The Michael Higgins issues were Gog awful! Also, wasn't a big fan of the all-ages version of Power Pack by Mark Sumerak although I do understand the logic behind making Power Pack a book for kids. I also think it was a big mistake to age the pack. Julie and Alex are now teenagers. But the whole point of Power Pack was that they were children who were superheroes! There are already many many teenage superhero teams out there. Not a bright move, Marvel.

They've only aged in line with the rest of the Marvel Universe. They've aged about 8 years in-universe in 33 real world years, compared to the Fantastic Four's 14 in 56.

BANNED

I grew up with Power Pack in the early 1980s and I still love the old comic book. The lizard alien bad guys were pretty scary on some of the front covers. The Power kids sure interacted alot with other Marvel characters back then such as Wolverine and Spider Man especially Wolverine. By the way is it just me or its really hard to even find at least one old back issue of Power Pack in comic shops while finding plenty of Alpha Flight?

Astonishing Member darewithpeace's Avatar

its cool that they have a appreciation thread. they need to born again on the comics.
    we can be heroes, just for one day

I also loved Power Pack and it would be nice to see them again (their appearance in the CW2 tie-in was nice, but I want to see more of them).

BANNED

Wait what? What civil war 2 tie in comic were the Power Pack kids in?

Quote Originally Posted by paurru View Post
    Wait what? What civil war 2 tie in comic were the Power Pack kids in?
    In the Civil War 2 Choosing Sides #4, Julie, Jack and Katie were featured in a small story which showed them dealing with the missing of Alex and Franklin Richards post Secret Wars.

It flubbed the continuity though, by stating that Julie was 16, when Runaways, Loners, and Avengers Academy already established her at 17 (and Power Pack itself had established she was two years younger than Alex, who was stated to be 19 in FF), and the Secret Wars timeskip should've made her 18.

The original Power Pack series was my first "real" Marvel Comic. I started out reading my older brothers' GI Joe and Transformers comics. The way my brothers got back issues (no comic stores nearby, no eBay or internet) was through these packaged deals from stores like Kmart that had three comics. The one in the middle was unknown and tended to be Power Pack.

I didn't like the more recent all-ages Power Pack comics because they seem like they are too much "for kids". The original Power Pack featured kids, but they were in the same type of situations as older characters and the comics didn't talk down to their audience.

Power Pack #27 is the best issue for anyone wanting to check out the series. It's the Mutant Massacre crossover with Wolverine, Sabretooth and X-Factor.

BANNED

Back then I was into Power Pack, elfquest, alpha flight, groo, What The?! And the NOW Comics Ghostbusters and an issue of Terminator of NOW Comics. I wish today that old single issues of Power Pack were easier to find in comic shops

BANNED

I liked every marvel comic during Jim Shooter's reign

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    In the Civil War 2 Choosing Sides #4, Julie, Jack and Katie were featured in a small story which showed them dealing with the missing of Alex and Franklin Richards post Secret Wars.
    The least the Richards family could have done was reunite Alex with his family at the end of Secret wars.

Alex probably chose not to - he's the oldest member of the Future Foundation outside of the Fantastic Four themselves. So he feels like he should look after everyone, and knows Julie can take care of the two younger Powers.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Alex probably chose not to - he's the oldest member of the Future Foundation outside of the Fantastic Four themselves. So he feels like he should look after everyone, and knows Julie can take care of the two younger Powers.
    That's true.....especially since he's been on his own for a while (going to college, as this was revealed within FANTASTIC FOUR #574), prior to joining the Future Foundation.

Default Power Pack Appreciation Thread

Let's give a big round of appreciation for Louise Simonson's first team comic Power Pack. The four pre-teens battled evil aliens and mutants in New York City while trying to live a normal life of children. Louise did an excellent job of portraying the 4 Power kids in difficult situations and tackling mature themes like drug abuse, runaways, and pollution. Who can forget the alien Aelfyre "Whitey" Whitemane that started the entire thing.