View Poll Results: Occupy Avengers: How's everyone been enjoying this series so far?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very much so, surprisingly enough!

6 16.67%
  • Quite a bit, though it's no real surprise.

11 30.56%
  • Okay enough, I guess.

7 19.44%
  • I haven't really been enjoying it, honestly.

6 16.67%
  • I wasn't really aware of this book, to tell the truth.

6 16.67%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I am enjoying this book. Maybe it should be called "Outcast Avengers"? I like the basic underlying concept: a team of skilled heroes who do not have "superpowers" but who fight against those who have. It is a book that actually seems to have a moral compass, and I can't say that about some of them. It is, however, a book that needs a publisher to be patient with it as it builds its audience. I wish I could believe that Marvel is willing to be patient and just keep putting this book out there until that happens.
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"

BANNED

Book sucks & I'm not even saying that as an opinion piece, It just sucks. Premise is insulting trash, The characters are all Unlikeable, & it waste good artist on terrible plots. Fingers crossed it's dead by 8 issues & Hawkeye & Red Wolf will be in writer hands that doesn't treat the former like an utter tool (even with the recent stuff as to why I hate Clint) & will make me give a legitimate s*** for for the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think if Clint can finally admit that what he did was wrong and resolve to, once again, be a true Superhero, we have a perfect set-up for him taking up the classic Hawkeye costume again (or at least another modern rendition of it).

Although I don't think the rest of the team will end up being costume-types, aside from maybe Nightshade and "not-member" Nighthawk, which I guess fits the tone and style of the book.
    Yeah I'm still curious if we get that conclusion at some point. Personally I wouldn't mind it at all.
    On the other hand I kinda want that to happen when he meets Banner again in the future where he just breaks down and Banner is all like: "It's alright, Bro."

I don't think Walker will touch upon that question. I kinda have the feeling no one at Marvel really knows how to deal with this as no one voiced a definite opinion so far.
    That said I assume the Banner who visited Barton wasn't actually Banner and that will all lead up to something down the line. It might even have something to do with Rogers and I'm getting way off topic here.

As for the others: Yeah I don't see them as mask/costume types either but it could be fun for "one last battle" with Clint saying "You are all Avengers, let's go and look the part."
    I doubt anyone but him would stick to it afterwards of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulku View Post
    I am enjoying this book. Maybe it should be called "Outcast Avengers"?
    That sounds great actually.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by DJ1107 View Post
    Book sucks & I'm not even saying that as an opinion piece, It just sucks. Premise is insulting trash, The characters are all Unlikeable, & it waste good artist on terrible plots. Fingers crossed it's dead by 8 issues & Hawkeye & Red Wolf will be in writer hands that doesn't treat the former like an utter tool (even with the recent stuff as to why I hate Clint) & will make me give a legitimate s*** for for the latter.
    I really hate this kind of attitude. "I don't like this comic, so it shouldn't exist, and screw anyone who is enjoying it, because their opinion matters less than mine does."
    Last edited by Tiamatty; 01-17-2017 at 06:52 PM.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

The poll should have an option worded like: Figured it might be dead before 12 issues, trade waiting it.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    I really hate this kind of attitude. "I don't like this post, so it shouldn't exist, and screw anyone who is enjoying it, because their opinion matters less than mine does."
    Eh, since there is nothing even remotely constructive about his/her post you should probably just ignore it. There is criticism and then there is "You suck, i fugged your mom last night, lol"-criticism and the post clearly belongs in the latter category.
    I especially enjoy the "It's not an opinion, it's a fact" part.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

My Twitter

I'm interested in anything with Nighthawk in it.

I have really enjoyed this book so far and give David Walker a ton of credit for his ability to balance real issues with superhero stories. Initially this book sounded really off putting due to the title and as someone who considers myself a conservative, I was worried that it would be 20 pages a month of republicans being compared to hydra and leftist political statements. While I know comics is a left leaning medium, even as a conservative, I know that republicans have earned some criticism and that is fair but most comics seem to tackle social commentary with the subtlety of a sledgehammer. However I was completely wrong and this book has been great so far. I do really enjoy it taking on real world issues and the perspective Walker brings to this book and pretty much all the books he has written has been excellent. While I do think that marvel is a little too political lately, I do enjoy this book. To me Walker has earned a great deal of credibility writing on social issues because he has a good voice for the characters and at least writes on social issues with complexity rather than just making anyone who doesn't see the world in the same perspective as the main character as a strawman evil character.

Also while I have never really liked hawkeye, (never hated him just really never cared about him),this series does a great job of making the character easy to relate to and even though bendis put him in a bad place as a character, walker has really found a way to make that development interesting.
    Last edited by regg215; 01-17-2017 at 07:21 PM.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post
    While I do think that marvel is a little too political lately, I do enjoy this book. T
    I don't want to make this thread about "him" but I wonder if that has anything to do with Perlmutter being a huge supporter of Trump. Like: If Marvel is trying to distance itself from him.

My Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    I don't want to make this thread about "him" but I wonder if that has anything to do with Perlmutter being a huge supporter of Trump. Like: If Marvel is trying to distance itself from him.
    I think that is certainly a factor. Marvel(and comics in general) always tackled politics but never with quite the blatant, in your face attitude that is currently showing in their comics(in my opinion,although Cap punching Hitler was pretty blatant). While comics have been more liberal in the last few years the election rhetoric these last few years has really seemed to set comic writers off (haven't really seen that much change in movies or Tv but they may just be based on what I watch). I have no problem with criticism of conservatives or republicans even though I am one, because in my opinion it has certainly been earned with some of the rhetoric that has been used, but lately it seems like marvel has no subtlety and basically makes every book portray anyone who is not a vocal democrat as equivalent to hydra. I really appreciate how so far this book has at least presented things as complex and has been pretty subtle in it's handling of social issues.
    Last edited by regg215; 01-17-2017 at 08:33 PM.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    Eh, since there is nothing even remotely constructive about his/her post you should probably just ignore it. There is criticism and then there is "You suck, i fugged your mom last night, lol"-criticism and the post clearly belongs in the latter category.
    I especially enjoy the "It's not an opinion, it's a fact" part.
    Oh no please do tell me about how I'm in the wrong for thinking that a book about A murderer, A nobody, & a bigoted psychopath trying to "Take back Justice" from one note evil "System 1%-ers" & give it to the ungrateful maggot excuse of a civilian population is a terrible book that people apparently love so much that it can't even muster enough readers to get in the top 10 of the week when released.

Or am I suppose to find it riveting that a longtime veteran hero Hawkeye jobs it hard in front of the writers pet Nighthawk, & apparently doesn't know what an LMD is yet Time-displace, Sheriff of a podunk town Red Wolf does?
    Last edited by DJ1107; 01-17-2017 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post
    I think that is certainly a factor. Marvel(and comics in general) always tackled politics but never with quite the blatant, in your face attitude that is currently showing in their comics(in my opinion,although Cap punching Hitler was pretty blatant). While comics have been more liberal in the last few years the election rhetoric these last few years has really seemed to set comic writers off (haven't really seen that much change in movies or Tv but they may just be based on what I watch). I have no problem with criticism of conservatives or republicans even though I am one, because in my opinion it has certainly been earned with some of the rhetoric that has been used, but lately it seems like marvel has no subtlety and basically makes every book portray anyone who is not a vocal democrat as equivalent to hydra. I really appreciate how so far this book has at least presented things as complex and has been pretty subtle in it's handling of social issues.
    Marvel in the '60s was very blatantly political. The Sons of the Serpent? There was a time JJJ straight-up refused to do business with a guy who made a racist comment, and he did a complete 180 on a mayoral candidate he supported after learning the guy had racist views. And that's just what comes to mind off the top of my head. Oh! And there was a Silver Surfer story that got an angry letter for doing a story where a black guy got murdered, because the guy felt Marvel was pushing an agenda too hard. (But, of course, the letter-writer wasn't racist, he totally supported Civil Rights, but did Marvel have to be so blatant about it? There's nothing new under the sun.)

Marvel in the '60s was very blatantly political. The Sons of the Serpent? There was a time JJJ straight-up refused to do business with a guy who made a racist comment, and he did a complete 180 on a mayoral candidate he supported after learning the guy had racist views. And that's just what comes to mind off the top of my head. Oh! And there was a Silver Surfer story that got an angry letter for doing a story where a black guy got murdered, because the guy felt Marvel was pushing an agenda too hard. (But, of course, the letter-writer wasn't racist, he totally supported Civil Rights, but did Marvel have to be so blatant about it? There's nothing new under the sun.)
    Agreed. Political agendas and comics have gone hand in hand for some time. The entire premise of X-men is Civil Rights based. Maybe some folks have not been reading comics as long as others and do not realize that.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ1107 View Post
    Oh no please do tell me about how I'm in the wrong for thinking that a book about A murderer, A nobody, & a bigoted psychopath trying to "Take back Justice" from one note evil "System 1%-ers" & give it to the ungrateful maggot excuse of a civilian population is a terrible book that people apparently love so much that it can't even muster enough readers to get in the top 10 of the week when released.
    Everything you've written there is an opinion and I disagree with all of it - but that is my opinion. You're not 'wrong to think it', don't expect everyone else to though.

Well except for the part about it not making the top ten in its first week - that is a fact, but it is not alone there.

I certainly agree that comics have always been political. I mean the most iconic image of Captain America was an incredibly political statement. The entire run of Green Arrow/ Green Lantern by ONeil and Adams was very political. And you are correct about the sons of serpent and JJJ. As well as what other posters have mentioned about the x-men. I have no problem with politics being in comics at all, in fact several great comic stories come out of political statements, but where I personally think it is a little different now is that most of the books marvel publishes right now seem to have a very clear political agenda and tackle the subject with no complexity in my opinion. That may not be your opinion and that is absolutely ok. You are one of the more well thought out posters on here and while I may not agree with you on some issues, I certainly respect the thought and perspective you bring to most of your posts.

The way I have seen marvel currently, is that they feel that in every situation Republican= bad guy, democrat= good guy, end of story.They seem to lump anyone who is not a dedicated democrat in with the very worst of the republican party and that personally bugs me. There are plenty of republicans/conservatives who were not at all ok with the rhetoric that the election took and object to a lot of what was said but that seems to be ignored. With that being said I also absolutely understand where the current political situation left a lot of people angry and would lead to them wanting to criticize certain points of view. I would personally prefer that it be looked at as a more complex issue and have appreciated that so far occupy avengers has done that.

I try to take the same approach to reading liberal leaning comics as I do in my personal life, my girlfriend is an extremely liberal person politically and while we may not agree on certain issues, I always enjoy hearing her perspective because it lets me see things from another side. I never would ask/want comics to exclusively cater to what my beliefs are or anything like that, in fact I really appreciate some of the storytelling that shows opposite perspectives because it helps me understand how others see things and has the potential to open my eyes a little to some possible flaws/errors that I may possibly have in regard to certain issues. As always Marvel can and should publish whatever they want. While yes some issues are very clearly defined in terms of right and wrong, in my opinion Marvel currently approaches most issues as good guy v bad guy and I just wish they could be a little more subtle or look at some issues as complex rather than it simply being one side is good the other side is bad.
    Last edited by regg215; 01-18-2017 at 12:02 AM.