View Poll Results: Occupy Avengers: How's everyone been enjoying this series so far?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very much so, surprisingly enough!

6 16.67%
  • Quite a bit, though it's no real surprise.

11 30.56%
  • Okay enough, I guess.

7 19.44%
  • I haven't really been enjoying it, honestly.

6 16.67%
  • I wasn't really aware of this book, to tell the truth.

6 16.67%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post
    The way I have seen marvel currently, is that they feel that in every situation Republican= bad guy, democrat= good guy, end of story.They seem to lump anyone who is not a dedicated democrat in with the very worst of the republican party and that personally bugs me. There are plenty of republicans/conservatives who were not at all ok with the rhetoric that the election took and object to a lot of what was said but that seems to be ignored. With that being said I also absolutely understand where the current political situation left a lot of people angry and would lead to them wanting to criticize certain points of view. I would personally prefer that it be looked at as a more complex issue and have appreciated that so far occupy avengers has done that.
    I would note that this is also nothing new. The first time Steve Rogers gave up being Captain America? Nixon Adminstration. (OK, technically, Ford Administration, but Watergate was the catalyst.) The second time? Reagan Administration. He died during the Bush Jr. Administration. None of these were accidents. Marvel's creators have never been shy about making their liberalism known, and have always shown it off more when Republicans were in power.

I'd also disagree that Marvel really is pushing a Democrat vs. Republican thing right now. Captain Samerica, sure. Spencer's definitely portraying conservatives as antagonists. But even then, not exclusively. He used Rage for a "violence is not the answer" message, and he had some really goddamn stupid "SJW" types as part of a "look the left can be stupid and extreme too!" thing.

But other than Captain Samerica? There's really not much in the way of "conservatives are bad" messages. Mighty Thor isn't anti-Republican, it's anti-Patriarchy. Power Man & Iron Fist doesn't deal much with politics, even when the CWII arc got deep into injustices in the justice system. Ms. Marvel is a distinctly message-heavy book, but those messages are hopeful and not specifically about any political orientation.

There's been a couple pot-shots at Trump, and I would expect to see a lot more of those going forward, because Trump is just an abominable person and has no business being anywhere near the White House. But hell, even those shots aren't partisan, they're not about Republicans, they're about how genuinely awful and incompetent Donald Trump is, and his being awful and incompetent and corrupt has nothing to do with him being a Republican.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    The poll should have an option worded like: Figured it might be dead before 12 issues, trade waiting it.
    Never really considered that to be an option. ;p

I was more focused on the thoughts of others who had read it in the primary. I've really enjoyed the issue so far, but I hadn't seen any kind of discussion on the book since its release. There was a bit of typical pre-release buzz/worry, but after the first issue, nothing but radio silence.

Happy to see the general positive turnout, though.

Outside of Hawkeye's characterization, I'm not really enjoying the book. It's just dull.

I don't mind its political stance. Sure, Walker is much more critical of conservatives than liberals, but it's not like America is the most left-wing country in the world. Most Republicans would be considered far-right in Europe, after all.

Mighty Member

This book represent almost all that is wrong in Marvel actually (for me): Boring stories, Complex social issues tackled in a simplistic and caricatural manner, Heroes who seem total losers, no fan-favorites characters, a writer who is for me at best mediocre. And I will add: a title who was relevant two years ago. I tried the first and second issue, I was bored, I will not continue.

Code:
    I don't mind its political stance. Sure, Walker is much more critical of conservatives than liberals, but it's not like America is the most left-wing country in the world. Most Republicans would be considered far-right in Europe, after all.
    Totally agree with you. The problem is that, like almost all Marvel books actually, the political problems are not tackled cleverly. It's caricatural.
    Last edited by lordozone; 01-18-2017 at 02:47 PM.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    The poll should have an option worded like: Figured it might be dead before 12 issues, trade waiting it.
    Same. Or just a "Not really interested." option.

Might trade wait this though. Sounds promising but I'm interested in seeing how they resolve the whole "Clint killing Banner" thing.
    . My Little Pony . ASM: Renew your Vows . Ms Marvel . Generation X . Doom Patrol . Super Man . The Flash . Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps . Trinity . Teen Titans . Super Sons . Mister Miracle . Saga . Paper Girls .