Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Shine Brightly: Kimiyo Hoshi Appreciation

I figured I'd make an appreciation thread for Kimiyo Hoshi as one didn't seem to exist.

I wouldn't say Kimiyo is in my top ten favorite character list, but I do like her and think she's interesting and know she has fans. So enjoy.

BANNED

I'm surprised that she didn't step into heroics after Arthur Light died.

I thought she had an interesting character defining moment being inspired by Supergirl's sacrifice in "Crisis" and she made a great first impression in JLI, but it's a shame they didn't keep her around that title. It would have been great had she been as synonymous with that run as Blue & Gold and Fire & Ice.

Has she been seen in the Nu52 after her initial non-powered appearance? Maybe she can be a friend/supporing character of Supergirl's. She'd fit into this new JLA as well, imo.

BANNED

Personally, I think a lot of her published stories are, well, bunk. She started out as an out and out jerk who pisses people off naturally. But the sacrifice of Supergirl may have turned her to the heroic side, it shouldn't make her instantly into a nice person. Too many stories make her nice and "feminine", sanding off all the rough edges that make her potentially fascinating.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

One of my favorite characters! (just b/c she's a hot Asian. Is that wrong? Well, I always have liked kind doctor characters for some reason, too.)
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

I loved her holiday special (2007/2009?) appeasers so the art was good, the story was good for new or old readers and it does not neciairily need to be read at Christmas either.

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Personally, I think a lot of her published stories are, well, bunk. She started out as an out and out jerk who pisses people off naturally. But the sacrifice of Supergirl may have turned her to the heroic side, it shouldn't make her instantly into a nice person. Too many stories make her nice and "feminine", sanding off all the rough edges that make her potentially fascinating.
    I think what you're describing is called character development

The problem with them being able to follow up on that development and why it seemed too abrupt was the fact that once it happened, they couldn't refer to it since nobody remembered Supergirl by the end of "Crisis." And since they couldn't refer to Supergirl, they had to ditch what made her change, so they just took her to the finish line and made her nice.

DC needs to definitely do something with kimiyo Hoshi aka DR LIGHT.hopefully a new POWER CO.OUTSIDERS.or JUSTICE LEAGUE EUROPE.

Extraordinary Member

She has one comicbook appearance in the new52.
    Kimiyo Hoshi-Light (DC)(Post Flashpoint)
    http://www.comicbookdb.com/character.php?ID=74113

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I think what you're describing is called character development
    No, that's the opposite of character development. Substituting a nice character with no harsh edges for what she began as (an angry, hot tempered, not willing to put up with fools) is in no way character development. It's pretty much damn near impossible to do that drastic a change. That anger should be there (if controlled); that arrogance should still be there, and certainly the inability to tolerate fools should be there. And those three traits are in no way incompatible with being a hero.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    The problem with them being able to follow up on that development and why it seemed too abrupt was the fact that once it happened, they couldn't refer to it since nobody remembered Supergirl by the end of "Crisis." And since they couldn't refer to Supergirl, they had to ditch what made her change, so they just took her to the finish line and made her nice.
    Being a nice person is not the finish line. Being a NICER person (or, at least trying) is the finish line, if anything.

And you don't need to refer to Supergirl's sacrifice in particular; just the concept of trying to be better works.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I hope she joins one of the Justice League teams soon. She has so much potential.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    No, that's the opposite of character development. Substituting a nice character with no harsh edges for what she began as (an angry, hot tempered, not willing to put up with fools) is in no way character development. It's pretty much damn near impossible to do that drastic a change. That anger should be there (if controlled); that arrogance should still be there, and certainly the inability to tolerate fools should be there. And those three traits are in no way incompatible with being a hero.

Being a nice person is not the finish line. Being a NICER person (or, at least trying) is the finish line, if anything.

And you don't need to refer to Supergirl's sacrifice in particular; just the concept of trying to be better works.
    Pretty sure she was written as not suffering fools in McDuffie's JL.

Any way, how would you guys bring her back.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Pretty sure she was written as not suffering fools in McDuffie's JL.

Any way, how would you guys bring her back.
    I remember that as being one of the better portrayals.

Personally, I'd keep the somewhat questionable history as wife of Arthur Light (from what I understand) and then learning she had 10 years stolen from her (as well as children) and becoming PISSED.

BANNED

Yeah no I get rid of that.