Page 106 of 155 FirstFirst ... 65696102103104105106107108109110116 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,590 of 2312
    BANNED

That puts to bed those hearsay claims that Heather had something to do with the time jump...which I believe were spread by comicsgaters.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Either way is Marvel that weak with confidence in a book that was selling well despite the drop in sales?
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    That puts to bed those hearsay claims that Heather had something to do with the time jump...which I believe were spread by comicsgaters.
    Were Comicsgaters still onboard with it? From what little I've seen of it, it seems like the series was not really on their radar (either out of personal taste or having bigger series to attack or praise). I know of only one ComicGater who came to hate the series for not conforming ComicGate rhetoric, but he seems to be alone.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Were Comicsgaters still onboard with it? From what little I've seen of it, it seems like the series was not really on their radar (either out of personal taste or having bigger series to attack or praise). I know of only one ComicGater who came to hate the series for not conforming ComicGate rhetoric, but he seems to be alone.
    The ones that wanted there to be a problem were kind of using it as a note of outrage.

And even the one that enjoyed it or has no problem with it had an issue with the Conway and Stegman era, believing they were telling the story of a divorce and likening Peter and MJ sharing powers to alimony.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

The ones that wanted there to be a problem were kind of using it as a note of outrage.

And even the one that enjoyed it or has no problem with it had an issue with the Conway and Stegman era, believing they were telling the story of a divorce and likening Peter and MJ sharing powers to alimony.
    Or that Mary Jane was getting too much spotlight at Peter's expense. Seriously, that's what I heard some of these guys saying, particularly with the X-Men crossover where she beats Emma Frost and Magneto singlehandedly. I could see the problem from a "disparity in power levels" perspective, but those guys were reaching to say it was Marvel "pushing girl power" or some B.S. like that.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Or that Mary Jane was getting too much spotlight at Peter's expense. Seriously, that's what I heard some of these guys saying, particularly with the X-Men crossover where she beats Emma Frost and Magneto singlehandedly. I could see the problem from a "disparity in power levels" perspective, but those guys were reaching to say it was Marvel "pushing girl power" or some B.S. like that.
    I agree with you on both counts.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

To be fair, on that X-Men crossover her beating Magneto and Emma in a single panel was complete bullshit, pushing girl power crap or not, it was just bad regardless of intentions.

Yeah, that's the narrative the Comicsgater I saw was pushing. I was interacting with him online at the time and he pretty much lost it when I said that I disagreed with him on that. I lurked often on since observing his stuff and the guy's gone full-on tin-foil nutjob since (he seriously believes that Disney blackmailed critics to praise The Last Jedi, for example). I seriously wonder if there's something wrong with him in the head, based on the crap I've observed on his YouTube channel.

Frankly, I've found that the Comicsgate assessment of that RYV story (like practically everything the argue) is confirmation bias.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    To be fair, on that X-Men crossover her beating Magneto and Emma in a single panel was complete bullshit, pushing girl power crap or not, it was just bad regardless of intentions.
    My feeling on it is that I accept the mechanics of it (MJ punched out Frost, which also took out Magento, since the two were mentally linked at the time), and I like that they did use it to advance the next story (MJ's overconfidence of taking them down is a reason she's willing to test-drive what turns out to be the Venom symbiote), but I agree that if they wanted her to be one to do it, it was given way too little time and not set up well enough to be a satisfying ending for that specific story.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

My feeling on it is that I accept the mechanics of it (MJ punched out Frost, which also took out Magento, since the two were mentally linked at the time), and I like that they did use it to advance the next story (MJ's overconfidence of taking them down is a reason she's willing to test-drive what turns out to be the Venom symbiote), but I agree that if they wanted her to be one to do it, it was given way too little time and not set up well enough to be a satisfying ending for that specific story.
    They weren't mentaly connected, it was just Emma using Cerebro, and the only time there was any connection was when Emma said "Magneto, kill them" and that was all, so there's no real excuse, it would've been **** even if Peter himself was the one who did it, Magneto is too tough to be defeated so easily by someone on Spidey's level unless he was attacked by surprise, which wasn't the case, and this isn't the first time RYV nerfed villains considering how easily Sandman was defeated in issue#4 (Admitedly that one may be justified with 6 pairs of web shooters), then how easily Rhino was defeated in issue#10, it was a pretty shitty thing in RYV and Magneto's just happens to be the most ludicrous one.

I have a lot of conflicting feelings about that X-Men arc.

They weren't mentaly connected, it was just Emma using Cerebro, and the only time there was any connection was when Emma said "Magneto, kill them" and that was all, so there's no real excuse, it would've been **** even if Peter himself was the one who did it, Magneto is too tough to be defeated so easily by someone on Spidey's level unless he was attacked by surprise, which wasn't the case, and this isn't the first time RYV nerfed villains considering how easily Sandman was defeated in issue#4 (Admitedly that one may be justified with 6 pairs of web shooters), then how easily Rhino was defeated in issue#10, it was a pretty shitty thing in RYV and Magneto's just happens to be the most ludicrous one.
    Magneto had the "glowey eyes of being mind-control" at the time, and they both went down when Frost was TKOed, so I think they were connected at that time.

It was specifically mentioned in-story that having MJ and Annie as partners was the reason that Spidey was able to handle Sandman that effectively.

Rhino, as I recall, was sucker-punched and not expecting Spider-Man to fight him in the first place, much less be so brutal. Also, as I recall, it's been long established that an angry Spidey means that he effectively levels up in powers (by way of loosing his normal restraint).
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Magneto had the "glowey eyes of being mind-control" at the time, and they both went down when Frost was TKOed, so I think they were connected at that time.
    Yes, and that was when she was talking with him mentaly, any page before that shows that she was doing everything alone, unless she thought that for some reason it'd be a good idea to be mentaly connected with Magneto to the point if anything happens with her he'll be knocked down alongside her if she's hit, when there was no need to, it's still bullshit either way.

It was specifically mentioned in-story that having MJ and Annie as partners was the reason that Spidey was able to handle Sandman that effectively.
    I know, I'm just not sure if that would be enough "normaly" since this story has blatant villain nerfs.

Rhino, as I recall, was sucker-punched and not expecting Spider-Man to fight him in the first place, much less be so brutal. Also, as I recall, it's been long established that an angry Spidey means that he effectively levels up in powers (by way of loosing his normal restraint).
    Not expecting Spidey to fight him doesn't mean Rhino wouldn't fight back, and Rhino is far stronger than Spidey to the point he also used to fight the Hulk, so he should take more than some punches to be knocked down by brute force. Pissed off Spidey indeed means he doesn't hold back as much/stops holding back, but him becoming strong enough to just defeat anyone with brute force just because of that? That's **** writing.

Yes, and that was when she was talking with him mentaly, any page before that shows that she was doing everything alone, unless she thought that for some reason it'd be a good idea to be mentaly connected with Magneto to the point if anything happens with her he'll be knocked down alongside her if she's hit, when there was no need to, it's still bullshit either way.
    Yeah, I found that part confusing, since I was partially wondering if Frost had double-crossed Magneto at first.

I know, I'm just not sure if that would be enough "normaly" since this story has blatant villain nerfs.
    Maybe?

Not expecting Spidey to fight him doesn't mean Rhino wouldn't fight back, and Rhino is far stronger than Spidey to the point he also used to fight the Hulk, so he should take more than some punches to be knocked down by brute force. Pissed off Spidey indeed means he doesn't hold back as much/stops holding back, but him becoming strong enough to just defeat anyone with brute force just because of that? That's **** writing.
    I thought in context it worked, but mileage may vary.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Annie doodle from Stegman at C2E2

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Annie doodle from Stegman at C2E2

And to this day Stegman will be one fo the few great artists left in Marvel who was assigned to a once great book while many of the others are being wasted on garbage books.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he