Page 116 of 155 FirstFirst ... 1666106112113114115116117118119120126 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,740 of 2312

And now it seems this thread has degenerated into yet another OMD discussion/heated debate, nice....

Edit We so need a OMD Mega Thread.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by 2Thumbs View Post
    Please. They're just trying to appease the long time readers that they shit on a decade ago. They finally realized that the 'young readers' they were targeting with an immature Spidey dont buy comics. They do like they do with music and movies: Pirate them off the internet.
    And we know these things how?

Meanwhile, the readers who bought comics for a decade before OMD just got shit on and insulted with the 'yearly' placatations.
    Personally, I won't read or buy mainline ASM because of the OMD situation (the exception being the pre-OMD Epic Collections). Others find they can still enjoy post-OMD ASM on their own terms. Frankly, I think whichever method makes you happiest is the right oen.

RYV is just their latest cash grab attempt to get adult readers to buy Spidey comics again.
    In other words, I'm benefiting from their enlightened self-interest? (I don't really get the whole "They're just throwing us a bone" with the RYV series. We're still better off with an option than no options.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    And now it seems this thread has degenerated into yet another OMD discussion/heated debate, nice....

Yeah, back on topic please
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

We should call such an event "One More Derail" .

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    We should call such an event "One More Derail" .
    That is catchy
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Amazing Member

OMD completely changed the landscape of Spider-Man. It was one of the most divisive books in the history of comics. Most older readers hate it. A lot of younger ones, who didn't waste hundreds of dollars on a story and character that just ended up retconned, dont mind.

The reason I hate it is because I spent a decade and a lot of cash as a kid buying ASM comics... then Marvel decided that they didn't care about their readers. All that time, money, and investment was wasted. I haven't given Marvel a single red cent since.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    In other words, I'm benefiting from their enlightened self-interest? (I don't really get the whole "They're just throwing us a bone" with the RYV series. We're still better off with an option than no options.)
    Are you really benefiting though? Are you really better off with this limited run, alt universe, fanfiction? I'd say no. It's going to end soon, then we'll go back to having only the shit they're shoveling out in ASM. You'll get a sample of how ASM SHOULD have been, then you'll have nothing again. I small taste of the forbidden fruit, as it were.

It's insulting. They're hoping that the end of RYV will get you to go back to mainline ASM and start buying that rag again. It's a disgusting cash grab that I won't be a part of.

OMD completely changed the landscape of Spider-Man. It was one of the most divisive books in the history of comics. Most older readers hate it. A lot of younger ones, who didn't waste hundreds of dollars on a story and character that just ended up retconned, dont mind.
    I'm a younger guy and I don't like it given that it's so far removed from the stuff I like about the franchise. For others, it brings things closer in line with what they want, others could care less, and you know what? No one is wrong about what they like.

The reason I hate it is because I spent a decade and a lot of cash as a kid buying ASM comics... then Marvel decided that they didn't care about their readers. All that time, money, and investment was wasted. I haven't given Marvel a single red cent since.
    I think you've kinda missing the point of the stories in the first place and the reason that they ever had any value in the first place.

Are you really benefiting though? Are you really better off with this limited run, alt universe, fanfiction? I'd say no.
    Unlike you, I actually know what I'm better off having, so the answer is "yes," end of discussion (it might not be the same answer for you, but I'm not you, now am I?).

I'm also the last person you'd want to come at with the "al. universe so it's not good argument." My most favorite Spider-Man comic book series (actually series of all time) is Ultimate Spider-Man, an alt. universe series. I love the movies (well, not the Mark Webb ones, but that's another topic) and the cartoons, very much alt. universe. Heck, the MCU, the X-Men movies, the Wonder Woman movie, Batman cartoons, some of the stuff I like most in the superhero genre is completely, totally alt. universe. Being canon or non-canon has zero impact on whether the story is good or worth your time. If it's good or enjoyable, it's earned it's place in the franchise. (Now, the series can be bolted onto part of the 616 ASM series, due to sharing a common internal timeline, so if continuity must matter, it's there. But I digress.)

So what if it's short-lived? All things end eventually and if it's a fun ride while it lasts, I'll take it. I'll always have the trade paperbacks, at any rate. (And RYV cannot be fan fiction, since it's produced by the IP owners.)

It's going to end soon, then we'll go back to having only the shit they're shoveling out in ASM.
    In other words, no worse off then we were before RYV existed?

You'll get a sample of how ASM SHOULD have been, then you'll have nothing again. I small taste of the forbidden fruit, as it were.
    Not really. I'll still have new ASM Epic Collections, Spider-Girl Complete Collections, the whole Star Wars line, X-23, and any other amount of back issues of stuff on my "to get" list. I'll be fine. (Besides, there's no official word on RYV being canceled, so why borrow trouble from tomorrow?)

It's insulting. They're hoping that the end of RYV will get you to go back to mainline ASM and start buying that rag again. It's a disgusting cash grab that I won't be a part of.
    I'm not planning to add ASM to my pull list anytime soon, even if RYV was canceled (I'd just funnel that money into other comic series I like). I really don't get why you're trying to ruin other people's enjoyment of this. You don't like it? Fine, okay. But just because it's not doing anything for you doesn't mean that other people can't get like it or find it worth their while. So what if RYV was meant to be a short-lived cash grab? No one's forcing you to buy it and for some of us, it's been nothing but a good thing.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Amazing Member

I'm not trying to ruin RYV for anyone. I'm just pointing out facts. RYV's is a disgusting attempt to get back on their reader's good sides after alienating many of them with OMD. If that's something you want to fall for, fine. If I read it, I'd probably enjoy it.

However, after reading it, I'd realize that none of that story will ever be mentioned or expanded upon again, and the only Spidey I'll be left with is the shitty, garbage, post OMD 616 ASM. It would just be more hurtful than enjoyable in the long run.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I hate this argument. Marvel didn't personally burn every comic you own. They didn't because they didn't care about readers, they did it because they wanted to try new stories after years of the marriage status quo. I'm not defending Marvel and I hate it just as much as you, but this is a bad way to go about the argument.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I hate this argument. Marvel didn't personally burn every comic you own. They didn't because they didn't care about readers, they did it because they wanted to try new stories after years of the marriage status quo. I'm not defending Marvel and I hate it just as much as you, but this is a bad way to go about the argument.
    Then they should have done it better. Have them have a falling out, get a divorce, something. Dont just retcon 20 years of continuity.

The WAY they did it showed that they didnt care about their fans just as much as WHAT they did.

And even JMS says his work was 'retconned out of existence.'
    Last edited by 2Thumbs; 04-24-2018 at 05:46 PM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Then they should have done it better. Have them have a falling out, get a divorce, something. Dont just retcon 20 years of continuity.

The WAY they did it showed that they didnt care about their fans just as much as WHAT they did.

And even JMS says his work was 'retconned out of existence.'
    That much, I can agree with. A simple divorce or otherwise falling out could have easily been done, and the stress caused by Civil War would have given them the perfect excuse. Would have been a lot better, and a lot more realistic, for those who care about such things, than just having a literal Faustian pact retcon the previous twenty years of stories and invalidate all the work JMS did getting Peter and Mary Jane back together.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    That much, I can agree with. A simple divorce or otherwise falling out could have easily been done, and the stress caused by Civil War would have given them the perfect excuse. Would have been a lot better, and a lot more realistic, for those who care about such things, than just having a literal Faustian pact retcon the previous twenty years of stories and invalidate all the work JMS did getting Peter and Mary Jane back together.
    But they didnt. Because they dont care. And they havent given us a decent Spidey story since.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

But they didnt. Because they dont care. And they havent given us a decent Spidey story since.
    I'm a mixed bag on that. A lot of the stories have been interesting, with potential to be good, but I look at them all and say, "How many of these really needed Peter Parker to be single and ready to mingle? What did Peter being unmarried (and otherwise unattached) to Mary Jane really improve in any of these?" My answer? Nada. Zip. Zilch. Nothing. It was entirely and utterly unnecessary and done only to satisfy certain people at Marvel who hated the idea of a married Spider-Man, especially hated the idea of him being married to Mary Jane, and aren't gonna let it go now that they've gotten what they wanted, character consistency be damned, pardon the pun.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I'm a mixed bag on that. A lot of the stories have been interesting, with potential to be good, but I look at them all and say, "How many of these really needed Peter Parker to be single and ready to mingle? What did Peter being unmarried (and otherwise unattached) to Mary Jane really improve in any of these?" My answer? Nada. Zip. Zilch. Nothing. It was entirely and utterly unnecessary and done only to satisfy certain people at Marvel who hated the idea of a married Spider-Man, especially hated the idea of him being married to Mary Jane, and aren't gonna let it go now that they've gotten what they wanted, character consistency be damned, pardon the pun.
    Many of them, Superior especially, could have been much, much better.

Instead we got garbage for the last decade.