Page 12 of 155 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member Fearless Heart's Avatar

That Venom pic is awesome! Is it safe on this forum to say that I love Venom? It's not looked upon kindly in other places. I'm super stoked for this!

Quote Originally Posted by Fearless Heart View Post
    That Venom pic is awesome! Is it safe on this forum to say that I love Venom? It's not looked upon kindly in other places. I'm super stoked for this!
    Classic Venom is still one of my favorite characters of all time.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    For the Spiderpool fans(friendship speaking but deadpool will still have a man crush), would it be cool to see Wade Daughter Ellie have a team up with Annie, sorta like Super Sons.
    That would be fun, especially since the DP2099 arc revealed what Ellie's mutant power is --- upon dying, she basically regenerates a new body at the same age she was when she first manifested her power.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Fearless Heart View Post
    Why wouldn't it be? I'm not afraid to say I like Spider-Man 3, which has a very small fanbase.

I like Venom, too.

BANNED

This Ryan Stegman "Five Minute" Sketch video has an interesting thumbnail. It's an extension of the Venom illustration posted earlier, and it looks like this may prove to be an in-the-works preview of the cover to Renew Your Vows#9

https://twitter.com/RyanStegman/stat...78670782324737

Why wouldn't it be? I'm not afraid to say I like Spider-Man 3, which has a very small fanbase.

I like Venom, too.
    Some fans dislike classic Venom because think that their motivation is too lame and doesn't make sense and there is that whole "Lethal Protector" thing that happened in the 90s. Honestly i think that his motivation is more like poorly explained than anything else and the fact that his motivation doesn't make sense, is kind of the point (he is esentially an hypocrite that put blame of all his misfortunes to other people instead of him. kind of an opposite to Peter's guilt).

Spectacular Member Fearless Heart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post

I like Venom, too.
    The Cape explained it.

I was just joking since a lot of folks hate him and anything to do with symbiotes. I liked Spider-man 3 too!

That is one amazing piece of art! Thanks for sharing it with us, Miles To Go. And yeah, I think what turned off a lot of people from symbiotes was the overexposure in the 1990s. Kind of like how people got sick of Wolverine, who is an otherwise great character, because of his constant overexposure.

BANNED

Double teaming Ivan Ooze

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post

Double teaming Ivan Ooze
    Whoo, yeah. That brings back memories.

Stegman is pretty much my favorite Spider-artist of the past 5 years. He brings such dynamism and charm to Spider-characters.

Looking forward to 90s X-Men!

BANNED

This is pleasing news

http://www.comicsbeat.com/marvel-ret...iverse-titles/

In the passage that will probably get the most talk, Gabriel just flat out says that readers turned up their noses at the continuing diversification of their line:

We saw the sales of any character that was diverse, any character that was new, our female characters, anything that was not a core Marvel character, people were turning their nose up against. That was difficult for us because we had a lot of fresh, new, exciting ideas that we were trying to get out and nothing new really worked.

It was the old things coming back in that time period, three books in particular, Spider-Man Renew Your Vows, that had Spider-Man and Mary Jane married, that worked. The Venom book worked and the Thanos book worked. You can take what you want out of who might be enjoying those three books, but it is definitely a specific type of comic book reader, comic book collector that really liked those three series.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Might as well start an argument. Yes, it is pleasing that Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows is getting the praise and attention and sales it deserves. It is unpleasing, however, that this is a byproduct of the overall refusal of the comic book fandom to, if not accept change, then at least give change a shot, to try out the unfamiliar and unusual. What this is saying is that the contemporary comic book readership/fandom would prefer things to remain the same as they always were, even if it comes at the expense of growth and the price of stagnation as an industry. This says that at its core, the comic book fandom and readership fears change, fears the different, fears the unfamiliar and unusual, which is ironic given that the most popular superheroes from Marvel, the X-Men, are more-or-less an allegory for what happens when fear of difference and unfamiliarity runs unchecked.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Might as well start an argument. Yes, it is pleasing that Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows is getting the praise and attention and sales it deserves. It is unpleasing, however, that this is a byproduct of the overall refusal of the comic book fandom to, if not accept change, then at least give change a shot, to try out the unfamiliar and unusual. What this is saying is that the contemporary comic book readership/fandom would prefer things to remain the same as they always were, even if it comes at the expense of growth and the price of stagnation as an industry. This says that at its core, the comic book fandom and readership fears change, fears the different, fears the unfamiliar and unusual, which is ironic given that the most popular superheroes from Marvel, the X-Men, are more-or-less an allegory for what happens when fear of difference and unfamiliarity runs unchecked.
    I don't think that has to be viewed as completely negative.

I think a lot of fans would definitely prefer that their heroes or favorite characters remain recognizable and as themselves as fans continue to follow them on their journey, and that growth for those characters feel logical and organic without downplaying or radically changing those heroes.

Like, Renew Your Vows to me feels like a far more natural continuation of the story of Spider-Man, maybe outside the Superhero family dynamic, then most of what's being done with Peter currently in the actual, in-continuity, books. The Peter Parker in RYV certainly feels more like Peter Parker then the guy swinging around in billion-dollar, glowing, Spider-Suit right now.

The Queenpin status quo that Black Cat is currently saddled with was also partially justified as a means of preventing the character from being "stagnate," and you and I both know we would much prefer a more familiar Black Cat then the one gracing the pages of Marvel comics these days.

Now, it's a shame if this also means readers don't try diverse and different books, but I also don't think fans embracing the more traditional should be seen as a bad thing out-of-hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think that has to be viewed as completely negative.

I think a lot of fans would definitely prefer that their heroes or favorite characters remain recognizable and as themselves as fans continue to follow them on their journey, and that growth for those characters feel logical and organic without downplaying or radically changing those heroes.

Like, Renew Your Vows to me feels like a far more natural continuation of the story of Spider-Man, maybe outside the Superhero family dynamic, then most of what's being done with Peter currently in the actual, in-continuity, books. The Peter Parker in RYV certainly feels more like Peter Parker then the guy swinging around in billion-dollar, glowing, Spider-Suit right now.

The Queenpin status quo that Black Cat is currently saddled with was also partially justified as a means of preventing the character from being "stagnate," and you and I both know we would much prefer a more familiar Black Cat then the one gracing the pages of Marvel comics these days.

Now, it's a shame if this also means readers don't try diverse and different books, but I also don't think fans embracing the more traditional should be seen as a bad thing out-of-hand.
    Fair enough. In greater context, the passage so quoted appears more like an attempt to blame the consumer base for being "too bigoted and rigid" to accept new, more diverse characters, and that's a pretty ugly thing to say about the majority of comic fans/readers. Plenty of other reasons for Marvel to not be doing so well sales-wise, like the overemphasis on crappy events that pointlessly pit the characters against each other and kill them off or derail them for shock value and comics being increasingly overpriced for offering widely disliked or dissatisfying content, but to say it's just because the majority of the readership/fandom is a bunch of bigots who don't want to see female, minority, and/or LGBT characters on the covers of "their comics" . . . that's messed up. From the often-vitriolic commentary in forums like this and comments sections elsewhere, I can believe that would be true of a percentage of the readership, but not the majority of the readership.