Page 122 of 155 FirstFirst ... 2272112118119120121122123124125126132 ... LastLast
Results 1,816 to 1,830 of 2312
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I think she was joking. I also recall her giving a more serious interview where she assumed that the ASM movies were going to follow the comics' version of Spider-Man's love life and was happy to be playing a role in setting up that story.
    Yeah guessed that after a while.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

BANNED

Yes, keep in mind there's a whole sub-plot from ASM II with Mary Jane being set up left on the cutting room floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Yes, keep in mind there's a whole sub-plot from ASM II with Mary Jane being set up left on the cutting room floor.
    Too bad thanks to how badly the film tanked and due the fact they were focusing too much on Harry and Electro. Mary Jane never even really even got a mention in the film.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Too bad thanks to how badly the film tanked and due the fact they were focusing too much on Harry and Electro. Mary Jane never even really even got a mention in the film.
    They focused on Peter's biological father too much. **** Richard Parker.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    They focused on Peter's biological father too much. **** Richard Parker.
    Let's just say there was too many things going on at once to even include Mary Jane in the film.

Let's just say there was too many things going on at once to even include Mary Jane in the film.
    Let's just say there's no reason at all to do The Death of Gwen Stacy if you DON'T have Mary Jane around.

Let's just say there's no reason at all to do The Death of Gwen Stacy if you DON'T have Mary Jane around.

Okay that too but I bet they were banking on introducing Mary Jane in the next film if it didn't tank.

Okay that too but I bet they were banking on introducing Mary Jane in the next film if it didn't tank.
    Coulda, woulda, shoulda. The fact is these people messed up so much, and Mary Jane hasn't been in a Spider-Man movie in over 10 years. And I don't like it. And I certainly wouldn't bet on the people who trotted out "Gwen loved Peter, MJ loved Spider-Man" ship war memes to do right by MJ.

(They didn't do right by Spider-Man period, but I digress.)

Coulda, woulda, shoulda. The fact is these people messed up so much, and Mary Jane hasn't been in a Spider-Man movie in over 10 years. And I don't like it. And I certainly wouldn't bet on the people who trotted out "Gwen loved Peter, MJ loved Spider-Man" ship war memes to do right by MJ.

(They didn't do right by Spider-Man period, but I digress.)
    Sure it means nothing to talk about what could have and should have been. Considering that Sony is a company independent of Marvel Studios I doubt there is some sort of dark conspiracy centred on keeping Mary Jane out of any adaptations. Though Marvel Animation wants to introduce Mary Jane in their sub par cartoon. Nevertheless it is odd that they won't induce her in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. THye must be worried that if they do they must put Peter and Mary Jane back together somehow.

BANNED

THye must be worried that if they do they must put Peter and Mary Jane back together somehow.

Exactly. Despite the attempts of the last ten years to minimize MJ's importance, everyone recognizes what she means to the franchise and that she's Peter's undisputed endgame. She is still depicted as his wife across some continuities, as well as the mother of his child. When MJ is brought into the fold, the end of an era for Peter is not far behind...the day Charlie Brown kicks the football and hooks up with either Peppermint Patty or The Little Red Haired Girl (not much difference with MJ), and they can't have that until they feel the audience, and the story, is ripe for it...unless they get cold feet and decide to reboot for the 348488th time.

Sure it means nothing to talk about what could have and should have been. Considering that Sony is a company independent of Marvel Studios I doubt there is some sort of dark conspiracy centred on keeping Mary Jane out of any adaptations. Though Marvel Animation wants to introduce Mary Jane in their sub par cartoon. Nevertheless it is odd that they won't induce her in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. THye must be worried that if they do they must put Peter and Mary Jane back together somehow.
    She's in the PS4 game, but we're really not seeing her anywhere else these days (outside of comics). And I don't like it. It's been over 10 years since a Spider-Man movie had Mary Jane in it. That's ridiculous.

The level of marketing, revisionist history, idealization, and attention she receives at the expense of MJ, who organically earned her status as the woman who won, is repugnant at times.

And I say that as a Spider-Gwen fan and as someone who doesn't mind other, stronger interpretations of Gwen.
    I kind of have to agree.
    Saying "I want to see Mary Jane in a Spider-Man film" shouldn't be a controversial statement. I didn't say what "role" she should have in it. I know this thread being the RYV Appreciation thread points at a certain thing, but I never said that. At this rate, we might not see Mary Jane in a Spider-Man film until they make that Spider-Gwen film they so obviously want to do (which... yeah...).
    I've also though to myself that it's more likely we'll see Mary Jane in the Ghost Spider Marvel Rising short then in Marvel's Spider-Man.

I'm really not keen on the idea that audiences next major exposure to MJ in animated form is going to be the "Em Jay" version.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    The early 2000s Spider-Man show I know had a couple direct-to-DVD films, and the original intention was for there to be a couple of those for Spectacular, but that was a different time. I do think with Marvel Rising coming out, I feel a RYV film in that sort of vein could work very well for them.
    I can't recall those 2000's DTVs. Was that for the MTV cartoon?

I think Sony is more likely to do something with RYV for their Spider-Verse films then Marvel Animation is, which as Kevin brought up is probably the best chance we have to see Mary Jane in a movie at this point.
    Which I think is the biggest missed opportunity, and one of the reasons I loved Spectacular, because they handled the civilian life perfectly and made great use of all of those characters.
    And they didn't have to give most of them costumes or powers to keep them relevant.
    And regarding Peter and MJ getting together in Spectacular, I feel like Gwen dying is the only way that could work, just because they made her and Peter too likeable that I honestly can't think of another way they would stop having feelings for each other. Not to mention MJ herself was playing matchmaker for them two for most of the series.
    I agree.

I think there would probably have been some relationship issues once Peter and Gwen got together, but Gwen would have needed to die for them to progress Peter onto someone else in my opinion (especially if Weisman was saying true to the comics).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think there would probably have been some relationship issues once Peter and Gwen got together, but Gwen would have needed to die for them to progress Peter onto someone else in my opinion (especially if Weisman was saying true to the comics).
    I already responded to this a page ago:

People change as they get older, you don't always retain your feelings for your first major sweetheart and you move on.
    By believing Peter and Gwen would stick by one another, you are basically buying into the same idealized notions that inform loads of Gwen fans.

If somebody wanted Peter and Gwen broken up without killing Gwen, they have a little built-in mechanism called reality to draw inspiration from.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 06-07-2018 at 12:13 PM.

Exactly. Despite the attempts of the last ten years to minimize MJ's importance, everyone recognizes what she means to the franchise and that she's Peter's undisputed endgame. She is still depicted as his wife across some continuities, as well as the mother of his child. When MJ is brought into the fold, the end of an era for Peter is not far behind...the day Charlie Brown kicks the football and hooks up with either Peppermint Patty or The Little Red Haired Girl (not much difference with MJ), and they can't have that until they feel the audience, and the story, is ripe for it...unless they get cold feet and decide to reboot for the 348488th time.
    I wonder how many of the movie going crowd even care for that when they practically help Marvel keep them apart by showing up to Homecoming as a result it became a hit and further encouraged Marvel to keep Mary Jane and Peter apart. Not that it stopped Dan Slott from dropping the sadly unrealised hints of the marriage returning in Secret Wars 2015. You'd think Go Down Swinging could have been that story though where they do get them back together.

She's in the PS4 game, but we're really not seeing her anywhere else these days (outside of comics). And I don't like it. It's been over 10 years since a Spider-Man movie had Mary Jane in it. That's ridiculous.
    I guess as long as it does not touch their precious Marvel Cinematic Universe Marvel is more than happy to use her any adaptations. After all there's been a lot off corporate synergy on Marvel's side to match the MCU probably in the hopes that they can get the movie audience to buy their stuff. That seems to be the pattern I'm seeing anyway.

I already responded to this a page ago:

By believing Peter and Gwen would stick by one another, you are basically buying into the same idealized notions that inform loads of Gwen fans. If somebody wanted Peter and Gwen broken up without killing Gwen, they have a little built-in mechanism called reality to draw inspiration from.
    I said there would probably be some relationship issues, like there were in the comics, which is how I see Weisman handling it.

Reality is all well and good but there's a lot of different kinds of relationships to draw on from reality, and you have even more freedom in fiction (especially Superhero fiction).