Page 52 of 155 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Interesting "Shrug of God." I wouldn't mind in and of itself (given that the idea of the Ultimate versions of those characters getting married and raising a family gets a thumbs up from this reader). However, if that were the case, how would we explain that the backstories we see are from the 616 comics, not the Ultimate ones (for example, Harry Osborn's death was not via Green Goblin on a helicarrier, Peter and MJ's first meeting is the blind date in college, not in early childhood, etc.).
    True....but maybe there is some truth being told in jest here? Perhaps even if they're not allowed to convey it on the page or go too far "there", Marvel writers do sort of headcanon RYV Peter and MJ as being versions we grew up loving...that's what I got from the deja vu incident in 2016 from Slott

Also keep in mind that one of Bendis' long-running story arcs in Jessica Jones involves reality-displaced people who remember entirely different lives and are now living equally different ones.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 08-27-2017 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    True....but maybe there is some truth being told in jest here? Perhaps even if they're not allowed to convey it on the page or go too far "there", Marvel writers do sort of headcanon RYV Peter and MJ as being versions we grew up loving...
    Maybe. They do seem to regard RYV as the series that marriage fans should go to, so I think that they see it as the old school Spider-Man at least figuratively. Although, what would Marvel's disposition on the pre-OMD 616 and RYV Spider-Man characters have to do with the Ultimate versions' final fates or current statuses?

...that's what I got from the deja vu incident in 2016 from Slott
    Do we know for sure what that was about yet? I know the popular opinion was that Slott was seeding something for the future (and while I don't like his work or what he thinks Spider-Man should be, I do respect his playing the long game with his writing). However, I'm very suspicious that it was just a plug for the RYV miniseries.

Also keep in mind that one of Bendis' long-running story arcs in Jessica Jones involves reality-displaced people who remember entirely different lives and are now living equally different ones.
    I'm not familiar with that Jessica Jones story.

For what its worth, Spider-Verse seems to imply that the RYV universe predates the Secret Wars incursions (the RYV Spider-Man guest-starred in a tie-in that set-up the original mini). If that's the case and the main RYV ongoing is the same world as the original mini, how could the RYV Parkers be the Ultimate ones with new lives and memories, since they were existing at the same time in their own realities?

BANNED

Do we know for sure what that was about yet? I know the popular opinion was that Slott was seeding something for the future (and while I don't like his work or what he thinks Spider-Man should be, I do respect his playing the long game with his writing). However, I'm very suspicious that it was just a plug for the RYV miniseries.
    Or a tease for the ongoing series, since it would have been set in stone by that point and Dan simply could have wanted to give it a "hook" for readers of his own stuff if they were curious. He's hinted in the past there could be a crossover one day so I would not rule out seed-planting ahead of time.

For what its worth, Spider-Verse seems to imply that the RYV universe predates the Secret Wars incursions (the RYV Spider-Man guest-starred in a tie-in that set-up the original mini). If that's the case and the main RYV ongoing is the same world as the original mini, how could the RYV Parkers be the Ultimate ones with new lives and memories, since they were existing at the same time in their own realities?
    That's a good point, and a key example of Bendis not paying attention to any continuity outside his own bubble, which is why I think he was only agreeing with the theory in jest...but it did lead me to think that, as Slott indicated in Power Play, that maybe the Marvel bullpen do have similar theories that tie RYV with whatever is going on in the mainline stuff, or will down the line.

That said, the eight year time skip does confound things a bit...does that mean RYV now takes place long after any future mainline event to come? Or is their Earth serving under one of those strange time dilation principles where events occur a lot faster and things are acclerated? Could be something went wrong with restructuring the reality and Reed might need to fix it.

Or a tease for the ongoing series, since it would have been set in stone by that point and Dan simply could have wanted to give it a "hook" for readers of his own stuff if they were curious. He's hinted in the past there could be a crossover one day so I would not rule out seed-planting ahead of time.
    Good point, although it would've been pretty long-range foreshadowing, since I think that comic was printed months before the RYV continuation was announced.

That's a good point, and a key example of Bendis not paying attention to any continuity outside his own bubble, which is why I think he was only agreeing with the theory in jest...
    I suppose it could be metaphorically true.

...but it did lead me to think that, as Slott indicated in Power Play, that maybe the Marvel bullpen do have similar theories that tie RYV with whatever is going on in the mainline stuff, or will down the line.
    Well, RYV is represented in the Venom-Verse event, so it is starting to play a bigger role in the larger publishing lines. Guess it remains to be seen if that happens again.

That said, the eight year time skip does confound things a bit...does that mean RYV now takes place long after any future mainline event to come? Or is their Earth serving under one of those strange time dilation principles where events occur a lot faster and things are acclerated? Could be something went wrong with restructuring the reality and Reed might need to fix it.
    I'm kind of suspicious that they won't worry about that when writing future stories. Besides, they could pull the Narnia rule about how much time passes between two worlds for interdimensional travelers if they wanted to explain it.

I'm not familiar with that Jessica Jones story.
    First arc, current volume. She meets a man who remembers being in another universe. Unfortunately, it's not on Marvel Unlimited due to being Parental Advisory.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    First arc, current volume. She meets a man who remembers being in another universe. Unfortunately, it's not on Marvel Unlimited due to being Parental Advisory.
    So, the series being written right now (were she's separated from her family)?

That is correct.

Fantastic Member

Is RYV MJ in any venom verse stuff yet?

Thumbs up

I might just drop this series soon if that is indeed the case. The main attraction of RYV for me was Peter and MJ being together, them as a crime fighting couple was an added bonus. *Sigh* Oh well, it was good while it lasted.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I might just drop this series soon if that is indeed the case. The main attraction of RYV for me was Peter and MJ being together, them as a crime fighting couple was an added bonus. *Sigh* Oh well, it was good while it lasted.
    They were talking about the current volume of Jessica Jones. RYV hasn't really changed (until the time skip with the new creative team as a part of Legacy.)

I think Bendis was joking around when he posted something silly in response to a question about Ultimate Peter and MJ being RYV Peter and MJ.

Mighty Member

That had to do with Jessica Jones story
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RD! View Post
    Is RYV MJ in any venom verse stuff yet?
    She will be in present in part one coming out next week.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    They were talking about the current volume of Jessica Jones. RYV hasn't really changed (until the time skip with the new creative team as a part of Legacy.)

I think Bendis was joking around when he posted something silly in response to a question about Ultimate Peter and MJ being RYV Peter and MJ.
    Good to know, I was worried there for a minute. *whew*
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

ROFL, easy mistake to make when Marvel make us this paranoid about Peter and MJ's all too rare stability.

The eight year timeskip, if anything, only reinforces the fact that without any devil dealings, OOC writing and reality warps, Peter and MJ really are built to last. It further casts the mainline versions in a worse light than they already are.

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    She will be in present in part one coming out next week.
    Let's hope she doesn't get too lost in the shuffle, I at the very least would like to see her address her family and then have this event addressed in this month's RYV, especially when we're only two issues away from the end of the current "era"

Good to know, I was worried there for a minute. *whew*
    Yeah, I was talking about the Jessica Jones series.