Page 8 of 155 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast

Jean and Scott being married would not only fit the flavor of the book but offer an interesting potential dynamic between the Summers and the Parkers .

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    If Jean's married to Logan than this universe instantly drops it's numbers on it's awesomeness.
    Well, it's all a theory based on one picture that could mean just about anything and the comment that Jean is married. There's no concrete evidence that the picture is supposed to be about Cyclops hitting on MJ (and to be honest, given the books family-friendly tone so far, I'd be a little surprised if they went that way). There's also no indication of whom Jean is married to. For all we know, it could be a brand-new character.

Also, if the X-Men in this series are supposed to emulate the '90s comics, wouldn't that suggest the classic triangle; Cyclops and Jean and item with Wolverine being the rival? (To be fair I'm not overly invested in either relationship so I really don't care which way things swing; I'm mostly a movies guy and found the Cyclops/Jean/Wolverine triangle easily one of the most underwhelming parts of the films. Also, being more familiar with with the X-Men: Evolution cartoon, when I think of X-Men love stories, I'm thinking of the unrequited feelings Rogue had for Cyclops in that show. But that's just me.)

My inner Cyclops fan wants to... do a lot of things. But because this isn't the place and the debate is very old, I'll just say this:
    Fair enough. However...

1. About leaving his wife and kid. It's complicated. I'm not saying what he did was right, but things weren't as simple.
    I do understand that the reason for this plot twist was to get restore the status quo and was against the intents of the writer who married Cyclops off in the first place, so it's wasn't really a character decision. But, seriously, stabbing your family in the back for an old girlfriend? That's pretty bad.

2. The affair with Emma. Jean wasn't a saint either. She was throwing herself at Logan. Scott was also under depression after being possessed by Apocalypse. Still doesn't make it justified, but there were other factors.
    I see.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    (Although, given that 616 Cyclops abandoned his first wife when Jean came back and later had an affair when married to Jean, the guy doesn't exactly have a clean record for faithfulness.)
    If psychics were real, what Emma did to Scott would be considered a form of sexual assault, if not rape.

Why is Scott on the hook for this with readers when Jean, during the same run but before the Scott/Emma thing, flat out propositioned Logan?

BANNED

Huh, that would be changeup.

If it's what we're thinking, that raises a few questions, specifically if the X-Men know who team Spider-Man really is, or at least if Spider-Man and Spinneret are married or are an item. I mean, they are working with a kid, so the team being a family isn't exactly a stretch. (Although, given that 616 Cyclops abandoned his first wife when Jean came back and later had an affair when married to Jean, the guy doesn't exactly have a clean record for faithfulness.)
    Okay but a few points:

Scott abandonned his wife temporarily and then tried to go back to her but she'd disappeared

It's not about Scott abandonning anyone he happens to be married to. He abandonned his wife for Jean specifically. He wouldn't cheat on Jean (which is why Morrisson's runw as such bullshit in that department)

It wasn't like his marriage to Madalyne was healthy. Very quickly after his teenage sweetheart died he fell in love with an exact look alike who had some similar personality traits to Jean, to the point where he truly believeed her to be Jean and they go married in like less than a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    If psychics were real, what Emma did to Scott would be considered a form of sexual assault, if not rape.
    I never actually read the whole story, but I have seen pages and descriptions and whatnot. As I understand it, Cyclops was a willing participant.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Why is Scott on the hook for this with readers when Jean, during the same run but before the Scott/Emma thing, flat out propositioned Logan?
    That's a really interesting question. I didn't even know that Jean was doing her own thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidercide View Post
    Okay but a few points:

Scott abandonned his wife temporarily and then tried to go back to her but she'd disappeared

It's not about Scott abandonning anyone he happens to be married to. He abandonned his wife for Jean specifically. He wouldn't cheat on Jean (which is why Morrisson's runw as such bullshit in that department)
    Huh? I'm not sure I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidercide View Post
    It wasn't like his marriage to Madalyne was healthy. Very quickly after his teenage sweetheart died he fell in love with an exact look alike who had some similar personality traits to Jean, to the point where he truly believeed her to be Jean and they go married in like less than a year.
    I though the idea of Prior being a Jean Grey clone was a retcon and not the original intent. Interesting point, but still the guy was married twice and both wives were given the infidelity treatment at one time or another. Didn't the authors take a step back and think how this would affect how readers saw the character?
    Last edited by WebLurker; 02-17-2017 at 11:59 PM.

I never actually read the whole story, but I have seen pages and descriptions and whatnot. As I understand it, Cyclops was a willing participant.
    Arguments can be made from both sides. It can be said that Scott was fully responsible and acted on his own accord, and it also can be said that Emma took advantage of Scott during a low period of his life. In the end, it wasn't as black and white as both the sides make it out to be.

That's a really interesting question. I didn't even know that Jean was doing her own thing.
    Yep. And the interesting thing is that Wolverine refused. Now that is what I call OOC behaviour.

Huh? I'm not sure I get it.
    Meaning Jean is special to Cyclops. Way too special. He married someone who looked exactly like his dead girlfriend. He wouldn't cheat on Jean. Actually, in character Scott wouldn't cheat on anyone. Chances of him cheating on anyone in character is exactly the same as Peter Parker cheating on anyone in character.

I though the idea of Prior being a Jean Grey clone was a retcon and not the original intent. Interesting point, but still the guy was married twice and both wives were given the infidelity treatment at one time or another. Didn't the authors take a step back and think how this would affect how readers saw the character?
    You really think writers give a crap about how Scott looks to readers? Half the guys at Marvel hate him for some reason.

Meaning Jean is special to Cyclops. Way too special. He married someone who looked exactly like his dead girlfriend. He wouldn't cheat on Jean. Actually, in character Scott wouldn't cheat on anyone. Chances of him cheating on anyone in character is exactly the same as Peter Parker cheating on anyone in character.
    And Spidey had "One More Day." Stuff like this happens, I guess, when authors have pet ideas they want to implement, regardless of the logic or lack thereof. My opinion? Don't let bad creative decisions ruin your favorite characters for you. After all, a comic series is just one piece of the franchise overall.

You really think writers give a crap about how Scott looks to readers? Half the guys at Marvel hate him for some reason.
    Have they said as much, or is this inferred from the stories being told?

Arguments can be made from both sides. It can be said that Scott was fully responsible and acted on his own accord, and it also can be said that Emma took advantage of Scott during a low period of his life. In the end, it wasn't as black and white as both the sides make it out to be.
    She's a licensed therapist who used her position to seduce a patient suffering from PTSD. She'd lose her license at the very least. There are explicit rules about this shit.

Add the psychic element and there's a whole other facet. (Problem here is that if one doesn't think the psychic element changes things, it lessens the impact of claiming a psychic affair is technically cheating.)

It was a one-off thing. Although there was the tension there throughout the run. But she flat out threw herself at him and he shut it down.
    Last edited by Tuck; 02-18-2017 at 10:20 AM.

I think Mom and Dad Spidey need to have a heart to heart talk with Annie about the whole "With great power goes great responsibility" schick . The girl needs to take things far more seriously... (Yeah, I was 8 years old too at one time...but sometimes even kids have to learn things always fun and games...)

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    I think Mom and Dad Spidey need to have a heart to heart talk with Annie about the whole "With great power goes great responsibility" schick . The girl needs to take things far more seriously... (Yeah, I was 8 years old too at one time...but sometimes even kids have to learn things always fun and games...)
    Given how comics tend to go, she'll learn for herself sooner or later and Mom and Dad Spidey will be there to help her through it and come to a greater understanding of what "with great power comes great responsibility" means.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

And Spidey had "One More Day." Stuff like this happens, I guess, when authors have pet ideas they want to implement, regardless of the logic or lack thereof. My opinion? Don't let bad creative decisions ruin your favorite characters for you. After all, a comic series is just one piece of the franchise overall.
    I don't.

Have they said as much, or is this inferred from the stories being told?
    Usually the stories he's in feels like writers taking crap on him. Apart from the guys like Joss Whedon and the subsequent runs after that like the Messiah trilogy where he was getting a push and getting a clear love from writers and Marvel's part. But then Schism, AvX, aftermath of AvX, ANAD where he's literally compared to Hitler... But maybe not anymore since they showed he didn't really do anything.

Also when you consider the whole Logan/Jean/Scott love triangle.

Or maybe Marvel truly loves him and it's the weird kind of love where they just put him through hell for no apparent reason. I've heard of this kind of love.

BANNED

Nate Stockman tweeted a pic of the Spider-Family from Issue Five

https://twitter.com/StockmanNate/sta...33107076358144

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Nate Stockman tweeted a pic of the Spider-Family from Issue Five

https://twitter.com/StockmanNate/sta...33107076358144
    Like it. Not only does it look good on it's own, it also looks like it stylistically matches Stegman's work, so it feels like it belongs.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Jean and Scott being married would not only fit the flavor of the book but offer an interesting potential dynamic between the Summers and the Parkers .
    Agreed! The Summers/Parker family has so much in common. They've dealt with evil clones. They've dealt with mad scientists. They've dealt with cosmic forces. They could really help each other. That could be its own comic. I'd buy it.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

BANNED

Looks like the X-Men crossover is more than one issue according to the May solits, the cover sees Peter tackling Magneto (back to his villanious ways as leader of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants)