Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

As someone who has never read Sonic regularly, a few spot issues years&years ago, I feel you long term Sonic fans are in a good spot with the IDW pickup.

If IDW does with Sonic as they did TMNT the creative teams could be granted a large amount of freedom to borrow from elements of the Archie years. The IDW TMNT has dipped across into the Archie run and adapted characters from there into the current TMNT Universe of story telling.
    Good luck to you Sonic readers!
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    As someone who has never read Sonic regularly, a few spot issues years&years ago, I feel you long term Sonic fans are in a good spot with the IDW pickup.

If IDW does with Sonic as they did TMNT the creative teams could be granted a large amount of freedom to borrow from elements of the Archie years. The IDW TMNT has dipped across into the Archie run and adapted characters from there into the current TMNT Universe of story telling.
    Good luck to you Sonic readers!
    SEGA is a lot more controlling over Sonic media than whoever holds the TMNT license. IDW likely won't be allowed the same freedoms.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Nickelodeon holds the TMNT license/property.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Yeah, Nick bought it from Mirage Studios, and then launched their own new cartoon (the whole reason they bought the franchise) to replace the then recently finished one that had been on 4Kids. Not having a comics department of their own, they sublicensed it out to IDW, giving them free reign.

Yeah, from what I have heard, technically IDW does have all the rights to use the Freedom Fighters and the characters post-reboot if they so wanted to. But, because Sega is still fairly hands on, it's all up to them if they decide they want to continue with them, or go full fledged reboot starting over with only game characters, which they might end up doing. So we'll just have to wait and see what the final decision is.

It'd also be a surprise to me if IDW doesn't try to make some sort of deal with Archie to get the publishing rights to Mega Drive - Overdrive, just because there are so many people (me included) who want that book so badly. And it's already finished.

Sonic writer Ian Flynn has been given a new job - he's writing Mighty Crusaders, a revival of Archie's Red Circle superhero line, starting in December.
    https://www.newsarama.com/35845-arch...-december.html

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Sonic writer Ian Flynn has been given a new job - he's writing Mighty Crusaders, a revival of Archie's Red Circle superhero line, starting in December.
    https://www.newsarama.com/35845-arch...-december.html
    Hopefully this works out better then the last time Archie had Flynn try and revive this series...

He's also rebooting Cosmo for them as well. Which hey, more Flynn projects the better! (They owe him after how much they've screwed him over this whole year)

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    He's also rebooting Cosmo for them as well. Which hey, more Flynn projects the better! (They owe him after how much they've screwed him over this whole year)
    Read: https://www.previewsworld.com/Articl...ublishing-Line
    I'm not familiar with Cosmo but he does sound like a replacement for Sonic.

Quote Originally Posted by Myetche View Post
    SEGA is a lot more controlling over Sonic media than whoever holds the TMNT license. IDW likely won't be allowed the same freedoms.
    Yeah, especially with those mandates that they started hitting Archie with late into their run like Eggman can't ever win, or no character can't show a great deal of emotion. I'm hoping mandates of that extreme won't happen with the IDW run.