View Poll Results: Do You Consider Magneto A Hero Or Villain?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hero

49 46.23%
  • Villain

57 53.77%
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Xelossik View Post
    Why? The could make a mistake.
    Yes i wanted to be a little caustic :P I hope that You will understand that:P
    I didn't want our discussion to veer into arguing. There's never any fun or point to that.

Rogue has 36 years of history this should be enough. Almost 1000 issues is of course less than Batman but how many issues hero need? 2000?
    Rogue and Gambit romance which lasted for 15 years. This is quite long.

I really don't understand why she should be "maybe". Please explain this to me.
    for me:
    Rogue also shouldn't be confused because she had full knowledge about manipulation forced upon her.
    She had Mystique in her mind (only Mistique and no one more) for some time.
    To me, Rogue is still a fairly "new" character, though I understand when you look at it in real time it is quite a long stretch. What is she supposed to be, age wise? 20? That's young. Still young enough to be confused. Again, she's PROBABLY straight, I just don't like it when people are so absolutely sure there's no room for error in their estimations.

And yes, this is comics, so everything IS possible.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by electr1cgoblin View Post
    I didn't want our discussion to veer into arguing. There's never any fun or point to that.
    Ok I understand this. I even respect that.

To me, Rogue is still a fairly "new" character, though I understand when you look at it in real time it is quite a long stretch. What is she supposed to be, age wise? 20? That's young. Still young enough to be confused. Again, she's PROBABLY straight, I just don't like it when people are so absolutely sure there's no room for error in their estimations.
    Rogue was 18 when she joined X-men in Uncanny X-men 171 (1981)
    In X-men 196 (2005) one guy said that he started his program after trying to find cure for Rogue and that was 7 years ago.
    RCO010_1469418385.jpg
    25 in X-men 196 after this:
    - Messiah War, leaving X-men and returing to X-men and being an X-man on Utopia Second Coming
    - 1 year as teacher after Second Coming and before Schism, mentioned in X-men Legacy
    - post Schism, pre Avengers
    - Rogue as Avenger plus 8 months time skip after Secret Wars.
    -8 months time skip
    Even counting only time when she was a teacher and time Skip rogue should be 27. realistically it should be almost 30

that's why there is a chance that Batman is gay
    Last edited by Xelossik; 01-22-2017 at 02:50 PM.

that's why there is a chance that Batman is gay
    Yes, though a MUCH lesser chance than Rogue. who is also more than likely straight.

BANNED

Yes, though a MUCH lesser chance than Rogue. who is also more than likely straight.
    Ok with me

^ There's nothing at all wrong with anything you said.

His opinion, my opinion, yours...it's all just opinion and ultimately it doesn't mean much. Nobody can take away any inspiration or feelings you have about any character with pure data.

People get protective of "their" stuff (even though these characters are everyone's). Don't despair because of others' weaknesses.

I'm sorry if the discussion upset you.

p.s. your username is cool as hell.
    Last edited by electr1cgoblin; 01-22-2017 at 04:14 PM.

A lot of the serious fan talk around here does not seem inclusive excepr to cishet males.

It can be extremely sexist, heteronormative (almost to the point it is heterosexist).

Men constantly silence and push women out of discussions when it comes to this hobby.

It gets exhausting, sometimes, trying to have a voice that counts.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

Confused about what?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    I wouldn't know. I have not read it.
    Are u serious? Just angry no reason, huh? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEsta View Post
    Are u serious? Just angry no reason, huh? Lol
    oh, hehehehehe.
    Except I am not angry.

I was not arguing actual books.
    Did you even read the exchange that led up to that?
    Or are you just trying to mock me for no reason, except that you can, bro?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar Spun Sorceress View Post
    I basically mentioned that the Rogue of the 1980's with her decidely butch style meant something to me and even though I stated that I do not read X-Men anymore and haven't since I was little really; I get bombarded with "evidence" to essentially prove me wrong. Too effectively rationalize my feelings about the character away with "data".

Why?

Why can't I have this?

What the **** is wrong with what I said?

Why couldn't you just ignore it if you didn't like it?

God forbid if one gay girl found something inspiring in "your precious characters" dude, because as you keep trying to established; they are yours and not mine.

Seriously.

I ****ing hate this hobby.
    A lot of the serious fan talk around here does not seem inclusive excepr to cishet males.

It can be extremely sexist, heteronormative (almost to the point it is heterosexist).

Men constantly silence and push women out of discussions when it comes to this hobby.

It gets exhausting, sometimes, trying to have a voice that counts.
    I don't think this has to do with gender, a lot of comics book fans are just too defensive of their favorite characters and just get super pissed when there's a different opinion about them that's all, and also the boards are not always good to transmit the tone which was something expressed.

And about X-men comics, honestly, the amount of material there is, it's just insane, it's understandable if people didn't catch up with all of it, a lot of stuff is bad, some stuff is contradictory, ambiguos, whatever. There's no issue for not reading all of it, really.

This thread derailed as hell, It all started because I pointed out that Carey doesn't deserve being basically called a perverted man for pairing Rogue with Magneto during his run, which was pretty good that's all, sorry xD

And anyone can feel whatever they want for their characters, it's their own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by lollie_poppy View Post
    I don't think this has to do with gender, a lot of comics book fans are just too defensive of their favorite characters and just get super pissed when there's a different opinion about them that's all, and also the boards are not always good to transmit the tone which was something expressed.

And about X-men comics, honestly, the amount of material there is, it's just insane, it's understandable if people didn't catch up with all of it, a lot of stuff is bad, some stuff is contradictory, ambiguos, whatever. There's no issue for not reading all of it, really.

This thread derailed as hell, It all started because I pointed out that Carey doesn't deserve being basically called a perverted man for pairing Rogue with Magneto during his run, which was pretty good that's all, sorry xD

And anyone can feel whatever they want for their characters, it's their own opinion.
    I do not think this falls on any one single person.
    For me, personally, I was just pointing out a truth.
    Most of the time, anyone who is not a cishet male, is overlooked, dismissed, erased, set aside, insulted, ignored, alienated, or argued whenever they state an opinion, or attempt to discuss comics.
    It happens. A lot.
    You may not think it does, but it does.
    And I am not claiming it is done maliciously, or even knowingly, but that almost makes it suck more.
    It is either such habit, ingrained, or all "in how you raise 'em" to the point that they do not even know they are really doing it.
    Or maybe they do?
    I don't know.

Like, there is literally nowhere safe for women to talk in this hobby, where they can feel like they are part of the discussion.
    Like what they say matters, too.
    I am here because, well, got sick of rape threats in comic groups on fb, and on various pages.
    But, I am often dismissed, or I witness parts of discussions here that let me know I would not be welcomed to join in.
    Because it is dudes discussing it.
    So, insert myself, but then guys argue me for inserting myself in places.
    Last edited by Cold Water; 01-22-2017 at 07:29 PM.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Hmmm. This is a tough one. I think he falls into more anti hero vs villain. I just cant see him as either so I couldn't vote.

Like, there is literally nowhere safe for women to talk in this hobby, where they can feel like they are part of the discussion.
    Like what they say matters, too.
    I am here because, well, got sick of rape threats in comic groups on fb, and on variousome pages.
    But, I am often dismissed, or I witness parts of discussions here that let me know I would not be welcomed to join in.
    Because it is dudes discussing it.
    So, insert myself, but then guys argue me for inserting myself in places.
    Seriously, rape threats? I know this happens but wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar Spun Sorceress View Post
    I basically mentioned that the Rogue of the 1980's with her decidely butch style meant something to me and even though I stated that I do not read X-Men anymore and haven't since I was little really; I get bombarded with "evidence" to essentially prove me wrong. Too effectively rationalize my feelings about the character away with "data".

Why?

Why can't I have this?

What the **** is wrong with what I said?

Why couldn't you just ignore it if you didn't like it?

God forbid if one gay girl found something inspiring in "your precious characters" dude, because as you keep trying to established; they are yours and not mine.

Seriously.

I ****ing hate this hobby.
    If Rogue is gay to you thats great. I found her an inspiration because I was a tomboy and Rogues short haircut was always my favorite look for her. Never cared for the Southern belle look.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 01-22-2017 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chia Head View Post
    Seriously, rape threats? I know this happens but wow.
    Yes.
    If you are a woman, who has a different opinion, in comics, in a comics group, or public page, on fb, it quite often ends in rape threats.

But, of course, it is not just comics.
    It happens in other discussions, too, but it happens in comics.
    Quite a bit.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

To me, Rogue is still a fairly "new" character, though I understand when you look at it in real time it is quite a long stretch. What is she supposed to be, age wise? 20? That's young. Still young enough to be confused.

"Young enough to be confused"?

You're confused, dude. Or, offensively ignorant.

And, "a fairly new character"?

No.

I don't care how old you are, Rogue has been around awhile now.

You're seventy years old, or you're forty, you can't sell a twenty year old car as "new."

If you're saying that, you, yourself, are stuck in the past and haven't noticed the last several decades going by, that's fine, but that's you. The rest of the world has experienced, realtime, actual time passing.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)