View Poll Results: Do You Consider Magneto A Hero Or Villain?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hero

49 46.23%
  • Villain

57 53.77%
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    He's quite a bit older than that. 70 puts his date of birth a few years after WWII.
    You're right his age is between 90-100 years old considering he was 10 or more when he went to the concentration camps, but he has the body of a 40 years old men, pretty similar to Captain America.

I still don't think that makes him unsuitable for having a normal relationship with a young woman.

Exclamation

Regardless of how you guys feel about Magneto dating Rogue, it happened!

Both were consenting during their relationship, one is a 90 year old man in a 40 year old's body, making it about as bad as Wolverine dating someone in their 30s, with the added creep factor of everyone having seen him as an wrinkly old man already.

Can we get past this and all agree that seeing Professor X pine for teenage Jean is definitely the creepiest lust of all the X characters, hands down? I just started reading the vintage comics and I just can't get past this fact. Eeugh!
    Last edited by KFrosty; 01-21-2017 at 12:03 AM.

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Space Colony "Londenion", Side 1 (in-character)

From the very start, "X-Men" was never meant for kiddie consumption?

I was fully introduced to the X-line by TAS, only then did I start hunting down the comics. But reading Xavier from the first run issues (via omnibus, and only since 2015) was a shocker. I stopped following the print way before Joe q cut down the titles, so I've never experienced deadly genesis etc bar online summaries.
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

Thank GOD for X'97. Cautious about "From the Ashes". Please no more Blue vs. Orange.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    Rogue is always absorbing folks' power and doing bad shit and regretting it later. lol.
    Isn't that what she does?
    Not really. That was true in 80s or 90s but right now(like 2006 and later)?

she regretted absorbing Mystique in X-men 207 and that's all?

Quote Originally Posted by Xelossik View Post
    Not really. That was true in 80s or 90s but right now(like 2006 and later)?

she regretted absorbing Mystique in X-men 207 and that's all?
    I don't have a lot of knowledge on the character, so I won't argue you.
    But the few times I have read her, she absorbs their powers, and does some bad things (though, temporary), and regrets the damage done afterwards.
    In #206 (which is so strange you mention #207), which I just read the other night, she absorbs Spiral's power, mucks things up, and regrets things once she becomes herself again.
    I mean, I'm not talking about life altering things, but I thought one of the things about her was that was one of her struggles?
    I don't know much about her, that's why I asked the question at the end.
    And I am being nice, so please be nice to me. Just about everytime I am nice here, I end up regretting it later because people are mean.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar Spun Sorceress View Post
    Sounds about right, in my opinion, but I am mostly only a 1980's X-Men fan. ��

She did alter Carol Danvers life pretty significantly though. ��
    Thank you.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by KFrosty View Post
    Regardless of how you guys feel about Magneto dating Rogue, it happened!

Both were consenting during their relationship, one is a 90 year old man in a 40 year old's body, making it about as bad as Wolverine dating someone in their 30s, with the added creep factor of everyone having seen him as an wrinkly old man already.

Can we get past this and all agree that seeing Professor X pine for teenage Jean is definitely the creepiest lust of all the X characters, hands down? I just started reading the vintage comics and I just can't get past this fact. Eeugh!
    Technically, she was 'brainwashed'. This was both written on panel and the writer confirmed it was happening. The Xavier thing was creepy, but at least he never acted on it. If he had, I probably would have stopped reading, but it quickly disappeared so chalked it up to stupid silver age stuff.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    I don't have a lot of knowledge on the character, so I won't argue you.
    But the few times I have read her, she absorbs their powers, and does some bad things (though, temporary), and regrets the damage done afterwards.
    In #206 (which is so strange you mention #207), which I just read the other night, she absorbs Spiral's power, mucks things up, and regrets things once she becomes herself again.
    I mean, I'm not talking about life altering things, but I thought one of the things about her was that was one of her struggles?
    I don't know much about her, that's why I asked the question at the end.
    And I am being nice, so please be nice to me. Just about everytime I am nice here, I end up regretting it later because people are mean.
    I am sorry. I didn't think that I am mean.
    You were talking about Uncanny X-men 206. I agreed with You that Rogue in previous century was exactly like You described.
    This century?
    Rogue said something about absorbing Mystique in X-men 207 (not Uncanny X-men).
    Rogue said that she will be questioning herself after calling Utopia for help in X-men Legacy 260-265 (i don't remember which issue that was). This was never mentioned later.

Rogue had control over her powers and was more adult than in 80s/90s.
    She absorbed (permanently) Sunfire powers- it was against her will, she was heavily wounded and couldn't move. Different person move her hand.
    She also permanently absorbed Wonder man powers but that was also against her will.
    When she ignored Cyclops orders? she clearly said that she think that she made correct decision.
    and in Uncanny Avengers vol3? She rarelly makes bad decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by nnelg View Post
    Most of my life he has been a villain. Or at the very least opposed to the X-men. I think he shouldn't be a X-man. He should have his own team. A brotherhood maybe. But he doesn't need to be a villain. Just not on the X-men.
    Pretty much exactly the same for me.
    Batman - Daredevil

X Gon' Give It to Ya Dum Dum Dugan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    Technically, she was 'brainwashed'. This was both written on panel and the writer confirmed it was happening. The Xavier thing was creepy, but at least he never acted on it. If he had, I probably would have stopped reading, but it quickly disappeared so chalked it up to stupid silver age stuff.
    The Xavier thing was actually brought up again in the 90s by Onslaught.

And where did Carey or the characters say she was brainwashed?

Astonishing Member

The issue right after AoX, when she said she had a whole bunch of fake memories for Legacy in her head and she couldn't tell the difference between them. And Carey said the reason behind the nazi story in the same issue was that magneto knew she was being influenced by the fake memories and he didn't want to 'take advantage' so was trying to push her away, but when that didn't work, 'for some reason', (Carey's quote) he changed his mind about taking advantage. When Gage took over her, he said the memories were still going strong, just like Frenzy.

The issue right after AoX, when she said she had a whole bunch of fake memories for Legacy in her head and she couldn't tell the difference between them. And Carey said the reason behind the nazi story in the same issue was that magneto knew she was being influenced by the fake memories and he didn't want to 'take advantage' so was trying to push her away, but when that didn't work, 'for some reason', (Carey's quote) he changed his mind about taking advantage. When Gage took over her, he said the memories were still going strong, just like Frenzy.
    Thank you! And you folks saying she has only had a few minis apparently missed X-Treme, Legacy and now she's the main in the UA ongoing. I'd hardly say she "isn't popular".

I know they both had memories from the "Age of X" timeline, but where did anyone use the term "brainwash" or say that Magneto took advantage of Rogue?

And Mike Carey specifically said "Rogue is still very much her own woman and she made the decision that felt right to her. I think it’s important to stress that. She might be experiencing psychic echoes, but her feelings are her own and her life is her own. So in answer to your second question, I’d say, emphatically, yes — whatever else is going on in her mind, the attraction is genuine."

Quote Originally Posted by uebersoldat View Post
    Thank you! And you folks saying she has only had a few minis apparently missed X-Treme, Legacy and now she's the main in the UA ongoing. I'd hardly say she "isn't popular".
    So now you like Legacy? Weren't you just trying to argue that Carey was a dirty old man?

And those examples you listed were ones where Rogue was a part of a team/ensemble, they weren't solo titles. Her one ongoing solo only lasted twelve issues.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lollie_poppy View Post
    You're right his age is between 90-100 years old considering he was 10 or more when he went to the concentration camps, but he has the body of a 40 years old men, pretty similar to Captain America.

I still don't think that makes him unsuitable for having a normal relationship with a young woman.
    This is one of the dumbest gimmicks on this board. The age thing of Magneto...look...Wolverine is older than Magneto so what the hell is he doing pining after a Storm or Jean or Domino. Why is it forgotten that Xavier was obsessed with wanting to bang 16 yr old Jean? Lol. And let's forget any relationship with Thor or Steve Roger's is ridiculous if age is some true factor that is destroying the comics spectrum...just deal with that fact that Rogue wanted to have sex with Magneto in the Savage Land and even dreamed of him leaving his cause to marry her in Magneto War #1. So get a grip and get your mind right. The crying over this subject is ridiculous. Magneto is the most charismatic mutant of all time..of course Briar, Isabelle, and Rogue are gonna be drawn to him. Wake up. What's unrealistic is how someone like Uniscone didn't come on to him when she clearly loved him beyond the definition of normal.