View Poll Results: Do You Consider Magneto A Hero Or Villain?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hero

49 46.23%
  • Villain

57 53.77%
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

oh really? how were human/mutant relations prior to Magneto's debut? you don't think Mystique assassinating Graydon Creed contributed? or how about Stryfe killing Charles Xavier? or the Weapon X program?
    Prior to Magneto mutants were more rumors than anything. There were some sights sure, but there were few and far between. maybe some people were nervous but that's it.

Then Magento shows up starts launching very public attacks while giving speeches about how mutants are destined to rule and replace humanity and issuing commands to a group with EVIL right there in the name. First impressions are really hard for people to get past and Magneto set the tone fro mutant and human interacts from then on.

Make it plain please... Silver Phoenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tazpocalapse View Post
    I consider him a victim of circumstances that fights for what he envisions as the best course for his people, mainly mutants but not all.I think he is a symbol for the saying. One mans terrorist is another freedom fighter.
    This. I agree.
    "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."- Jesus
    John 14:6

Make it plain please... Silver Phoenix's Avatar

Well...he is a victim of the holocaust which left an indelible mark on his psyche. He has fallen victim to the same mindset that tried to wipe out his race (Jews) and in turn, has tried to do the same to humanity.

I say Erik is an unfortunate villain who has tried to be a hero and do better but still hasn't conquered his demons. He is a villain because he hasn't figured out that mutants are human, and the human race as a whole is something worth fighting for, even if many of them hate and fear him.
    "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."- Jesus
    John 14:6

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Phoenix View Post
    Well...he is a victim of the holocaust which left an indelible mark on his psyche. He has fallen victim to the same mindset that tried to wipe out his race (Jews) and in turn, has tried to do the same to humanity.

I say Erik is an unfortunate villain who has tried to be a hero and do better but still hasn't conquered his demons. He is a villain because he hasn't figured out that mutants are human, and the human race as a whole is something worth fighting for, even if many of them hate and fear him.
    It's a double edged sword though. MU Earth never seems to run out of reasons to hate mutants and many have launched multiple genocide attempts against mutantkind.

Magneto doesn't hate humanity completely, he just wants mutants to be calling the shots. Charles wants equality, Erik wants superiority. Also, look at Magneto's family, including romantic partners. Magda, his wife and mother of Wanda, Pietro and Anya. Suzanna, Lorna's mother. Also Pietro and Crystal's hybrid daughter Luna. She was born completely human and had no powers. Magneto loved her anyway and was furious with Pietro when he learned that Pietro had exposed Luna to the Terrigen Mists, just to give her powers.

To quote Deep Space Nine...

Female Shapeshifter: Ironic, isn't it? The hunted now control the destinies of hundreds of other races.
    Odo: But why control anyone?
    Female Shapeshifter: Because what you can control can't hurt you.
    Odo: How do you justify the deaths of so many people?
    Female Shapeshifter: The Solids have always been a threat to us. That's the only justification we need.
    Last edited by nx01a; 01-17-2017 at 12:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

BANNED

Villain.
    In the early days when he was actually fighting the X-Men as one his primary goal was to 'take over the world!' and step on everyone who got in the way of that.
    As far as I can tell, his modern version has merely shifted shifted a bit due to the shortage of mutants leaving him with the simple option of sticking with the X-Men and stay alive. If the mutant race was to come back in a big way, I am pretty sure he'd be back to his old tricks soon enough... also I dont recall there being a big redeeming arc in his story for his past actions.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

I like the anti-villain thing, in theory, but I'm not sure what that actually entails.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    I like the anti-villain thing, in theory, but I'm not sure what that actually entails.
    Thanks, TVTropes!

"Magneto of X-Men fame is a Holocaust survivor who has taken "Never Again" to its extreme conclusion. A Well-Intentioned Extremist who has frequently shown kindness and mercy towards his rivals, most of his victims tend to deserve it, such as the angry mob responsible for the death of his family. He has done more than one Heel–Face Turn, and has a deep respect for arch-rival Charles Xavier.

Actually it's in-canon that Magneto had his truly villainous moments (he once tried to nuke New York For the Evulz) but they're attributed to madness from his tragic life events (Depending on the Writer; sometimes he is written as just an extremely high-functioning Sociopath who cares more about mutants as an abstract ideal than he does any actual flesh-and-blood mutant). After being artificially de-aged into a baby (and then later aged back to an adult) he was cured of it. And then relapsed (and was cured again, and relapsed again, because Status Quo Is God in comic books).

Presenting an interesting contrast to Magneto is his sometimes-Dragon, Exodus. Their goals (defending mutantkind and/or mutant supremacy) are virtually identical, so too are their methods, but while Magneto is a Mastermind type of leader who assembles and maneuvers his team with cold pragmatism, Exodus tends to be the Headstrong type of leader who is always at the forefront of every battle he leads a team into. Both characters have Charismatic leadership as a subtype, so rarely do either of them lack for followers."
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

My vote is that Mags tends to shift between anti-villain and anti-hero.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    A Well-Intentioned Extremist who has frequently shown kindness and mercy towards his rivals, most of his victims tend to deserve it, such as the angry mob responsible for the death of his family.
    That doesn't really hold up, though, does it? He's not well-intentioned most days. He's bitter, vindictive, cruel, manipulative, and egotistical on his best days.

And, he has repeatedly attacked innocents including conquering nations posing him no threat and enslaving people posing him no threats even excluding his major terrorist attacks, such as Fatal Attractions' EMP.

I think TV Tropes is giving him too much credit there.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

^ I think it's because we the audience and fans know TPTB have to make Magneto do evil things every now and again, so we don't forget he is a bad guy. But like Dr Doom, they want the audience to respect and admire him. Hence Magneto's several turns to good, and his most recent status of "not-so baddie". Hell, they even have Mags set to be the instructor of the time displaced O5 on X-Men Blue. Magneto who was/is their first and greatest villain in their time.

Villain, through and through.
    He might have been sympathetic to some people in universe, done heroic deeds like saving Kitty or showing there is more to him with his tragic past...
    Does't change the fact he's been a power hungry, racial supremacist at the same time, for DECADES, with a knack for cold-blooded murder and mass killing of innocents.
    Magneto is the embodiment of MUTANT FEAR to the MU denizens. Rightfully so.
    I don't understand this thread.
    He's a character with great depth, sure, but it doesn't change what he is. Would people ask whether or not Vader is a villain ? Or Hannibal Lecter ? They are great characters too, doesn't make them any less villains.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I see Magneto as a rebel. Not always agreeing with his points of view and definitely not always agreeing with his methods, but I do understand him and many times do agree in his opinions.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Unglaublich!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    he didn't steal someone's memories and leave them comatose.
    Shots fired!!

Magneto will always be what he believes the mutants need him to be hero, villain, anti hero, king, teacher, leader.

Lately think he's more closer to hero than villain but I'm not innocent know if necessary Magneto take the role of villain without thinking twice if that serves his purposes.