Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gotham Cops

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Default Gotham Cops

Who're the best of the GCPD? Who don't you like?

Bock, Sawyer, Gordon... Those created for Batman comics, or like Bullock and Montoya ported in from cartoons or other comics... Who's had the best showings, who grabs you, who do you really not miss at all?
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Who're the best of the GCPD? Who don't you like?

Bock, Sawyer, Gordon... Those created for Batman comics, or like Bullock and Montoya ported in from cartoons or other comics... Who's had the best showings, who grabs you, who do you really not miss at all?
    I really miss the Rucka crew: Gordon, Bullock, Montoya, Bock, and Allen. Rucka can write one hellua crime story.

BANNED

Gordon has always been my favorite. In a way, I think he's more inspirational than even Batman. This is a man who believes in doing things by the book, through the system, for all its warts and flaws. He does this in an impossibly corrupt city with crooked cops for partners and mayors on the take. Where crime means stopping a superpowered clay-monster from wrecking havoc in an orphanage, or trying to stop a bank robbery where the crooks have jetpacks, laughing gas, and laser cannons. He is just a man. And not in the way Bruce Wayne is "just a man...but also an impossibly rich, impossibly smart super-sexy ninja/sherlock holmes/james bond/hairy-chest love god on the side natch". Here is a noble(but not perfect, as Year One showed us) aspirational character who risk his life for his upstanding moral beliefs, not because his parents were killed by crooks when he was a kid, but because its simply the right thing to do, and won't be turned to the side of injustice no matter how much the Joker tortures him or how many corrupt officials ban Batman/destroy the Batsignal or how easy it would be to just walk away from all of it.

I like Bullock a lot too, just because we need a prominent cop who also believes in doing the right thing, but he's not so sure about this Bat-freak person, who the heck gave him the right, ya know? Not a corrupt guy, just a real gruff exterior and a big fat cigar.

I liked Shotgun Smith quite a bit. The toughest cop in Gotham, preceding Bullock by a couple of years, had a pretty interesting backstory and made a good supporting character when Dixon brought him back in the Robin series.

I think I remember Rucka using him in an issue during his first 'Tec run.
    But are you the only metal that's liquid at room temperature?

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Any of them under Rucka's pen. Though Montoya is a great character.

who do you really not miss at all?
    Renee. (:<
    BB

I really like Montoya, but it's unfortunate she hasn't really been seen in the New52 yet. I even liked her taking on the role of The Question.

Quote Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC View Post
    Gordon has always been my favorite. In a way, I think he's more inspirational than even Batman. This is a man who believes in doing things by the book, through the system, for all its warts and flaws. He does this in an impossibly corrupt city with crooked cops for partners and mayors on the take. Where crime means stopping a superpowered clay-monster from wrecking havoc in an orphanage, or trying to stop a bank robbery where the crooks have jetpacks, laughing gas, and laser cannons. He is just a man. And not in the way Bruce Wayne is "just a man...but also an impossibly rich, impossibly smart super-sexy ninja/sherlock holmes/james bond/hairy-chest love god on the side natch". Here is a noble(but not perfect, as Year One showed us) aspirational character who risk his life for his upstanding moral beliefs, not because his parents were killed by crooks when he was a kid, but because its simply the right thing to do, and won't be turned to the side of injustice no matter how much the Joker tortures him or how many corrupt officials ban Batman/destroy the Batsignal or how easy it would be to just walk away from all of it.
    And then there's this. Gordan's the real superhero of the Batman mythos.

Astonishing Member

There's good showings for a lot of them, thanks to Gotham Central. Bullock's always been my favorite.

I liked when Jason Bard was running around with Batgirl and she was running to be a senator. Shotgun Smith was great. Michael Lane became Azrael. Montoya, obviously. Maggie, yeah. Crispus.

I really liked Dagmar Procjnow because when I read Gotham Central I had like no idea how to pronounce her name and had to look it up. That sort of thing sticks in the memory.

I'm trying to think of an obscure one. Didn't Gillian Loeb turn out to be a one-time Black Glove finger? Ha! Didn't the Hangman murder Flass?

OH DUH.

It's Clancy O'Hara. DC should reboot him as a young Irish cop, all grim & gritty and fresh-faced.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Gordon really is one of the best, if not THE best, heroes in DC comics. He really is the epitome of the "everyman" hero, more so than any of the non-powered costumed vigilantes. His father-daughter dynamic with Barbara just makes it better.

After that, Bullock, Renee, Maggie and Sarah Essen are favorites as well.

BANNED

No love for Commissioner Akins? I actually prefered him to Gordon.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    No love for Commissioner Akins? I actually prefered him to Gordon.
    Akins was great, although he was more of a supporting role for the MCU detectives than a leading man in his own right. Part of me wants to be reading an upcoming issue of Eternal, and while Forbes is running his mouth about whatever, out of left-panel Akins just cuffs him.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

You know, why haven't we seen Renee Montoya in the New 52? She's not the Question anymore.
    Hope is not lost today. It is found.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Pretty much any of the characters listed are great and I'd love to see more (especially Montoya as a cop).

Is Sarah Essen dead in the New 52? If not, she'd be a welcome return.

I always liked Lieutenant Kitch. He was so by the book it was almost OCD, and his dealings with Batman were always fun.

I'd give a little love to Joe Potato, too.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    You know, why haven't we seen Renee Montoya in the New 52? She's not the Question anymore.
    Her picture was on what seemed to be a memorial wall in GCPD in an early Batwoman issue. Hopefully, this can be ignored.

My favorites have always been Gordon, Bullock, and Montoya.

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    If I remember correctly, one of the Eternal writers was asked if Montoya would show up there, but they said no, because they wanted to save her New 52 introduction for something else. It might have been Snyder, but I can't recall where I read that.