Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gotham Cops

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Default Gotham Cops

Who're the best of the GCPD? Who don't you like?

Bock, Sawyer, Gordon... Those created for Batman comics, or like Bullock and Montoya ported in from cartoons or other comics... Who's had the best showings, who grabs you, who do you really not miss at all?
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post

Bock, Sawyer, Gordon... Those created for Batman comics, or like Bullock and Montoya ported in from cartoons or other comics... Who's had the best showings, who grabs you, who do you really not miss at all?
    I really miss the Rucka crew: Gordon, Bullock, Montoya, Bock, and Allen. Rucka can write one hellua crime story.

BANNED

Gordon has always been my favorite. In a way, I think he's more inspirational than even Batman. This is a man who believes in doing things by the book, through the system, for all its warts and flaws. He does this in an impossibly corrupt city with crooked cops for partners and mayors on the take. Where crime means stopping a superpowered clay-monster from wrecking havoc in an orphanage, or trying to stop a bank robbery where the crooks have jetpacks, laughing gas, and laser cannons. He is just a man. And not in the way Bruce Wayne is "just a man...but also an impossibly rich, impossibly smart super-sexy ninja/sherlock holmes/james bond/hairy-chest love god on the side natch". Here is a noble(but not perfect, as Year One showed us) aspirational character who risk his life for his upstanding moral beliefs, not because his parents were killed by crooks when he was a kid, but because its simply the right thing to do, and won't be turned to the side of injustice no matter how much the Joker tortures him or how many corrupt officials ban Batman/destroy the Batsignal or how easy it would be to just walk away from all of it.

I like Bullock a lot too, just because we need a prominent cop who also believes in doing the right thing, but he's not so sure about this Bat-freak person, who the heck gave him the right, ya know? Not a corrupt guy, just a real gruff exterior and a big fat cigar.

I liked Shotgun Smith quite a bit. The toughest cop in Gotham, preceding Bullock by a couple of years, had a pretty interesting backstory and made a good supporting character when Dixon brought him back in the Robin series.

I think I remember Rucka using him in an issue during his first 'Tec run.
    But are you the only metal that's liquid at room temperature?

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Any of them under Rucka's pen. Though Montoya is a great character.

who do you really not miss at all?
    Renee. (:<
    BB

I really like Montoya, but it's unfortunate she hasn't really been seen in the New52 yet. I even liked her taking on the role of The Question.

Quote Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC View Post
    Gordon has always been my favorite. In a way, I think he's more inspirational than even Batman. This is a man who believes in doing things by the book, through the system, for all its warts and flaws. He does this in an impossibly corrupt city with crooked cops for partners and mayors on the take. Where crime means stopping a superpowered clay-monster from wrecking havoc in an orphanage, or trying to stop a bank robbery where the crooks have jetpacks, laughing gas, and laser cannons. He is just a man. And not in the way Bruce Wayne is "just a man...but also an impossibly rich, impossibly smart super-sexy ninja/sherlock holmes/james bond/hairy-chest love god on the side natch". Here is a noble(but not perfect, as Year One showed us) aspirational character who risk his life for his upstanding moral beliefs, not because his parents were killed by crooks when he was a kid, but because its simply the right thing to do, and won't be turned to the side of injustice no matter how much the Joker tortures him or how many corrupt officials ban Batman/destroy the Batsignal or how easy it would be to just walk away from all of it.
    And then there's this. Gordan's the real superhero of the Batman mythos.

Quote Originally Posted by teej View Post
    I liked Shotgun Smith quite a bit. The toughest cop in Gotham, preceding Bullock by a couple of years, had a pretty interesting backstory and made a good supporting character when Dixon brought him back in the Robin series.

I think I remember Rucka using him in an issue during his first 'Tec run.
    It looks like that may have been in issue #755 (April 2001) during Jim Gordon's Retirement Dinner?

NOTE: Part of this was also posted in another thread.

Josie Mac first appeared as a back-up feature starting in Detective Comics #763 (December 2001).

She later appeared in Gotham Central (starting with issue #9, cover-dated September 2003).

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    It looks like that may have been in issue #755 (April 2001) during Jim Gordon's Retirement Dinner?

I miss Sasha so much...I know she's not a cop, and that she's technically back from Rucka's Wonder Woman run, but...she was such a great character.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

By the way, if by "Sawyer" we're talking Maggie Sawyer, she wasn't originally a Gotham City cop.

She was first on the force in Metropolis, as seen in her original appearance in Superman #4 (April 1987):

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Gordon. I love him so much.

Sarah Essen-Gordon. I still hate Joker for what he did.

Montoya - I love her as both Question and cop.

I liked Romy and the rest of the Gotham Central crew, too. Akins was okay, but he's too associated with War Games for me to love him.

It's funny that this thread was started during Batman Eternal, and so many cops have come back since then...
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Lt. Stan Kitch was a member of the GCPD back in the 1990s.

- from Batman Secret Files #1 (October 1997)

It looks like his first appearance may have been in Detective Comics #596 (January, 1989).

Back during the Golden Age, Detective McGonigle played a role in two stories from Batman #3 (Fall 1940).

But I don't know if he was ever used again after that.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Lt. Stan Kitch was a member of the GCPD back in the 1990s.
    It looks like his first appearance may have been in Detective Comics #596 (January, 1989).
    I would have sworn he first appeared in Shadow of the Bat #1, and always thought the name was just Alan Grant being cute. You learn something new every day!

I have a soft spot for Kitch and Bock in particular. In both cases, we got to see their quirks up front and their characters evolved as they became recurring characters. They never felt like just a generic cop with a recurring name.

I found it a bit strange that Gotham Central never used either character. I guess Kitch never returned to Gotham after NML, but I think Bock stayed.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!