Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gotham Cops

Back during the Golden Age, Detective McGonigle played a role in two stories from Batman #3 (Fall 1940).

But I don't know if he was ever used again after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    No love for Commissioner Akins? I actually preferred him to Gordon.
    And it looks like Michael Akins first appeared in Batman: Turning Points #5 (January 2001) in a story written by Greg Rucka.
    (Akins was Chief of Police then.)

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    . . . I really liked Dagmar Procjnow . . .
    Dagmar Procjnow was also a character Greg Rucka used in his Detective Comics run prior to Gotham Central.

It looks like her first (brief) appearance, where she's mentioned just by her last name, was in Detective Comics #747 (August 2000):

She then showed up in a few more issues of Detective Comics (these from the following issue, #748):

On the other hand, the Gotham City Police Department has also been home to cops like Lt. Arnold Flass, introduced in Batman #404 (February 1987) <"Year One" Part 1>

Needless to say, Flass and Gordon do not wind up being besties.

Does anybody know if Detective Charlie Fields made any appearances besides in Gotham Central #1 (Early February 2003) or the previews for that story?

He didn't exactly fare well from that unexpected encounter . . .

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Who're the best of the GCPD? Who don't you like?

Bock, Sawyer, Gordon... Those created for Batman comics, or like Bullock and Montoya ported in from cartoons or other comics... Who's had the best showings, who grabs you, who do you really not miss at all?
    Who are the members of the GCPD that have been appearing in new stories these days, like within the past +/-year or so?

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Lt. Stan Kitch was a member of the GCPD back in the 1990s.
    It looks like his first appearance may have been in Detective Comics #596 (January, 1989).
    I would have sworn he first appeared in Shadow of the Bat #1, and always thought the name was just Alan Grant being cute. You learn something new every day!

I have a soft spot for Kitch and Bock in particular. In both cases, we got to see their quirks up front and their characters evolved as they became recurring characters. They never felt like just a generic cop with a recurring name.

I found it a bit strange that Gotham Central never used either character. I guess Kitch never returned to Gotham after NML, but I think Bock stayed.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Billy_Pettit_001.jpg

I might be wrong here, but I am certain that William Pettit was a side character years before No Man's Land. Maybe not full on appearances, as S.W.A.T. are usually surprising absent in Gotham City, but I'm sure the name at least was around for quite a while.

He has one of my favourite story arcs from the whole NML. "He has a bullet for every man, woman and child in Gotham". Chilling stuff.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I would have sworn he first appeared in Shadow of the Bat #1, and always thought the name was just Alan Grant being cute. You learn something new every day!

I have a soft spot for Kitch and Bock in particular. In both cases, we got to see their quirks up front and their characters evolved as they became recurring characters. They never felt like just a generic cop with a recurring name.

I found it a bit strange that Gotham Central never used either character. I guess Kitch never returned to Gotham after NML, but I think Bock stayed.
    By the way, it appears at one point Kitch was partnered with Detective Caz Sallucci back in the 1990s.

from Batman Secret Files #1 (October 1997)

The earliest mention I seem to find for him might be in Detective Comics #673 (April 1994).
    Does anybody know if he was mentioned / showed up earlier than that?

from Detective Comics #673 (April 1994)

from Detective Comics #685 (May 1995)

Billy Pettit was first introduced as part of GCPD's S.W.A.T. team back in Man-Bat #1 (February 1996).

He continued to be involved into "No Man's Land", but then things went downhill for him.

taken from GCPD entry in Batman Secret Files #1 (October 1997)

taken from "Blue Boys" (GCPD) entry in No Man's Land Secret Files #1 (December 1999

Renee Montoya's first appearance in a Batman story was in Batman #475 (March 1992)

On the other hand, the Gotham City Police Department has also been home to cops like Lt. Arnold Flass, introduced in Batman #404 (February 1987) <"Year One" Part 1> . . .
    The "Year One" arc also was where Sarah Essen (later Sarah Essen-Gordon) was introduced, in Batman #405 (March 1987).

She's have a more active role in the story later on in that same issue, as well as in Jim Gordon's life before the end of that story arc.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Who are the members of the GCPD that have been appearing in new stories these days, like within the past +/-year or so?
    Gordon, Bullock, Bard, Montoya

Sawyer has moved back to Metropolis

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Gordon, Bullock, Bard, Montoya

Sawyer has moved back to Metropolis
    I got the impression from the recent Lois Lane series that Montoya was no longer in the GCPD.