Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    And here I thought the years from 2000 to 2004 were part of the 21st Century.
    2000 is part of the 20th century, as was most of the reboot era you babble about.

That is correct. Today, DC only has 14 ongoing titles that manage to sell above 30,000 in the direct market and several of those will be dropping below that point in the next month or two. However the Legion is something there's clear demand for. It's one of the things constantly brought up alongside Captain Marvel and JSA. And you want to talk about comic book buying habits having changed? The last time the Legion was successful WITH Superboy was the early 80's.
    You're obviously not interested in a conversation, you just want to argue. The point made was that I think the Legion could sell a book today without a Super character in the title or as the major character. What sold 20 years ago may or may not sell today. I don't know what will you. You sure as hell don't know. I do know that that reasoning of prior success is invalid for today's books, though.

Now someof us could have a conversation about Super characters and the Legion. We could discuss the various Superboys or the thought that DC had thought about this with the Supergirl and the Legion run. But you've shown nothing that indicates you're up for that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    2000 is part of the 20th century.
    I was actually unaware of that. Thank you for that information. However, please don't refer to this single factual error on my part when I say...

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    as was most of the reboot era you babble about.

You're obviously not interested in a conversation, you just want to argue. The point made was that I think the Legion could sell a book today without a Super character in the title or as the major character. What sold 20 years ago may or may not sell today. I don't know what will you. You sure as hell don't know. I do know that that reasoning of prior success is invalid for today's books, though.

Now someof us could have a conversation about Super characters and the Legion. We could discuss the various Superboys or the thought that DC had thought about this with the Supergirl and the Legion run. But you've shown nothing that indicates you're up for that.
    ...I love it when people on this forum try to take some sort of false intellectual high ground, as you also did earlier with your remark about having a "Polite, grown up conversation". I honestly find it hilarious.

For the sake of keeping this from getting overly bitter, I suggest we stop replying.

...I love it when people on this forum try to take some sort of false intellectual high ground, as you also did earlier with your remark about having a "Polite, grown up conversation". I honestly find it hilarious.

For the sake of keeping this from getting overly bitter, I suggest we stop replying.
    I'm cool. See, the poster I was responding to is someone who has a long history of Legion fandom here and a deep knowledge of the franchise. You had also just pissed him off and now I can see why he responded to you like he did. To be clear, it was a moral high ground I took. I still stand by my assertion that you're unwilling to take part in a conversation about the characters and your snark annoys those of us who do.

. . . Today, DC only has 14 ongoing titles that manage to sell above 30,000 in the direct market and several of those will be dropping below that point in the next month or two.
    But, again (as I've pointed out in other threads), the numbers for the "direct market" (if they come from Diamond) are just what comic book shops are willing to order, not necessarily what does/could actually "sell" to actual buyers of comic books. And as more people slowly switch to digital and/or trade collection-waiting instead of individual issues, how much of the market do those numbers from Diamond actually represent?
    (Also, do places that do all the mail-order comic book services here in the U.S. get included in those numbers from Diamond?)

However the Legion is something there's clear demand for. It's one of the things constantly brought up alongside Captain Marvel and JSA.
    Are there actual numbers proving how much demand those titles would actually have? Or is the evidence more anecdotal based more on the people who constantly talk about those franchises on forums like this?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Montressor View Post
    Thanks for this, DC.

Now just make sure that a teenaged Kal El is a part of this team, as they help train him and prepare him for his destiny (out of a sense of honor to his legend). Please.

As a kid I did not appreciate the idea of Superboy. It was only after the Crisis--with its loss--did I look back, and as the years went on began to love the concept. He's Superman, goddamit. He has a city in a bottle. He has a super-powered dog. And as a teen Superman hung out with cool kids from 1000 years in the future.

Make it so.
    I feel the exact same way as you do.

Extraordinary Member

Superboy willingly subjected himself to mind wipes during the Bronze Age, so I think a feasible medium can be found between adventuring in the future, and living in Smallsville.

On a side note: what are the odds that Cosmic Boy's male stripper outfit will ever see live action?
    Last edited by Anthony Shaw; 01-13-2018 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Superboy willingly subjected himself to mind wipes during the Bronze Age, so I think a feasible medium can be found between adventuring in the future, and living in Smallsville.

On a side note: what are the odds that Cosmic Boy's male stripper outfit will ever see live action?
    What are the odds of seeing any form of Cosmic Boy in live action? So far all we are getting is Saturn Girl and Brainiac 5 and the only reaction to them is to criticize and complain. So if all the producers are
    getting is constant complaining and ridicule, what is the incentive to do anything more?

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    What are the odds of seeing any form of Cosmic Boy in live action? So far all we are getting is Saturn Girl and Brainiac 5 and the only reaction to them is to criticize and complain. So if all the producers are
    getting is constant complaining and ridicule, what is the incentive to do anything more?
    I don't know what they'd do with Cosmic Boy given how they're handling Mon-El, what with him being a founder/leader of the Legion.

It's why I'm also not expecting Lightning Lad to show up.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't know what they'd do with Cosmic Boy given how they're handling Mon-El, what with him being a founder/leader of the Legion.

It's why I'm also not expecting Lightning Lad to show up.
    It looks like Livewire will be fulfilling the role of Lightning Lad in the Supergirl episode after this one.

BANNED

It looks like Livewire will be fulfilling the role of Lightning Lad in the Supergirl episode after this one.
    Was confused for a second because when I think Garth, I think Livewire.

But yeah if you're right, this train wreck just keeps getting worse.

Was confused for a second because when I think Garth, I think Livewire.

But yeah if you're right, this train wreck just keeps getting worse.
    Well, I don't expect Livewire to be joining the Legion, if that's what you're worried about...

100% - it's already happened. All three founders were on Smallville.

I'm not impressed with the current execution, but I'll wait and see how it turns out.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

They did all 3 of the founders on Smallville and no one really complained. The reason Super girl gets do much blowback is because they keep making dumb choices.

Extraordinary Member

Producers should not be rewarded for deviating so far from the source material.

Producers of DC live action simply will have to deal with deal their projects being more scrutinized than normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Producers should not be rewarded for deviating so far from the source material.

Producers of DC live action simply will have to deal with deal their projects being more scrutinized than normal.
    Producers are not necessarily obligated to pay slavish detail to the comic book versions.

Their first priority is to do what they feel is best for the movie/TV show and screw the comic book material if that interferes with their first priority. After all, should every movie based on a novel be set up exactly page-for-page/word-for-word as that novel, not taking advantage of things that can be done visually that wouldn't be easy/possible in a book of strictly words?

Besides, producers of movies/TV shows are probably hoping to find an audience significantly larger than the few people that are diehard comic book geeks.