Default So J'onn J'onzz of Mars, and John Jones of Earth

I'm enjoying very much the current Martian Manhunter limited series. But one thing I just want to make sure I understand.

J'onn J'onzz of Mars, its teleported to Earth, and just happen to run into a Earth guy named John Jones right as he was dying?

I think (not sure) that this is once again a new take on J'onn's origin, but am I nuts that I think its incredibly far fetched that he'd meet a dude from another planet with a similar sounding name???

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    I'm enjoying very much the current Martian Manhunter limited series. But one thing I just want to make sure I understand.

J'onn J'onzz of Mars, its teleported to Earth, and just happen to run into a Earth guy named John Jones right as he was dying?

I think (not sure) that this is once again a new take on J'onn's origin, but am I nuts that I think its incredibly far fetched that he'd meet a dude from another planet with a similar sounding name???
    It’s a modern retelling of his original origin. John Jones was also a Detective, which J’Onn would take his place.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

It was 1955 story telling. Stories and details were very different in those days.

Don't get me wrong, I can look past the coincidence, just wanted to make sure I had it correct. I like to think of it as "cosmic destiny" or the like.

Amazing Member

If you want to think of it as being tighter than coincidence, maybe their similarities drew J'onn to him, his telepathy acting subliminally? Maybe not the intent, but passable, and if it helps you to enjoy the story, sure, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post

You think thats crazy ? The Black Condor is raised in the wilderness by birds in the Russian steppes, gets re-educated in a month and within minuites of entering his first American city meets his identical double (whom isn't related to him) and after his immediate death via gang takes his identity. This guys a US Senator btw

Retired

J'Onn J'Onzz taking the identity of an identical human called John Jones is a retcon. In the original story, the Manhunter from Mars morphs into a human form and muses that his name could be "John Jones" because it sounds similar to his Martian name. He then walks the Earth and decides to become a police detective, upon which he enters a police department and applies for the job. It's a bit remarkable that he got hired on as a detective right away, but given his wide range of powers not that incredible.

Of course it's funny that his Martian name is so similar to a common Earth name. But it's not any different than Katar Hol happening to have a name that sounds a lot like Carter Hall.

The more incredible thing to me was the Kirby Fourth World books where godly beings had names that were similar to Earthly names--like Steppenwolf, Desaad and Kanto.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    J'Onn J'Onzz taking the identity of an identical human called John Jones is a retcon. In the original story, the Manhunter from Mars morphs into a human form and muses that his name could be "John Jones" because it sounds similar to his Martian name. He then walks the Earth and decides to become a police detective, upon which he enters a police department and applies for the job. It's a bit remarkable that he got hired on as a detective right away, but given his wide range of powers not that incredible.

Of course it's funny that his Martian name is so similar to a common Earth name. But it's not any different than Katar Hol happening to have a name that sounds a lot like Carter Hall.

The more incredible thing to me was the Kirby Fourth World books where godly beings had names that were similar to Earthly names--like Steppenwolf, Desaad and Kanto.
    TBF Kanto implies Apokalips watches earth and steals their culture.