Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Resident of Central City RedWhiteAndBlueSupes's Avatar

Default Dc to Launch new Legion of Superheros Comic

What do you guys think about the New upcoming legion of Superheros comic announced by DC?
    As with the main "Rebirth" story, DC is playing the long game with the Legion of Super-Heroes. But plans are clearly set in place; at Baltimore Comic Con 2016, they revealed that one of the DC Rebirth panel would soon be writing Legion of Super-Heroes. That’s a choice of Dan DiDio, Tom King, Hope Larson, James Tynion IV, Paul Levitz, Keith Giffen, Dan Jurgens and Yannick Paquette. While I'd highlight Paul Levitz and Tom King — Levitz has been associated with the Legion for decades, while King gave a nod to Saturn Girl in Batman #9
    I'm all for it except Dan Didio better not be writing it lol.

Well someone like Paul Levitz or Keith Giffen would probably be a good idea as someone who has a lot of history on writing the Legion so if they were planning on bringing them back having one of their more well known Legion writers on the book might work.

On the other hand I also believe that Tom King would probably release a very cool Legion book if given the chance.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Bleh isn't LoSH an archaic concept? Please don't use nostalgia in your arguments otherwise.

Didn't Hickman say LOSH is his favorite comic of all time?

Maybe DC should get that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Bleh isn't LoSH an archaic concept? Please don't use nostalgia in your arguments otherwise.
    Superheroes are an archaic concept.
    As are superhero teams.

Doesn't mean they're not good or can't be good, though.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Resident of Central City RedWhiteAndBlueSupes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Superheroes are an archaic concept.
    As are superhero teams.

Doesn't mean they're not good or can't be good, though.
    yep no more archaic than a guy in cape and tights lol

Quote Originally Posted by RedWhiteAndBlueSupes View Post
    What do you guys think about the New upcoming legion of Superheros comic announced by DC? I'm all for it except Dan Didio better not be writing it lol.
    My guesses:

Dan DiDio
    (highlights: Omac, Phantom Stranger, DC Comics co-publisher) - -if this were New52, I'd say yes. If only because he has given himself the image of being someone who likes to take credit for doing things 'right' and putting his own stamp on things. But in the Rebirth era, I would have to say no. I think he's thankfully being reined in a bit. At least for the duration that Rebirth is successful. Not likely.

Tom King (highlights: Grayson, Batman, Omega Men) -quickly became a buzz worthy writer, with works like Grayson, Omega Men and Vision. And working on Omega Men showed that he can do sci-fi, even though it was still slanted from a military/espionage angle. However, he is kinda busy with Batman. And I personally think he belongs on a new Checkmate, Nemesis or Spyral series. Something that plays to his strengths. Slimly Possible.

Hope Larson (highlights: Batgirl, Ignatz award winner) -even though she's a buzz worthy creator, she doesn't fit the profile of Legion when looking at her past works. And considering the age of Saturn Girl and the suspected background, from what we've seen so far, and the build up they've given both Legion and JSA, I'd say no. Doubtful.

James Tynion IV (highlights: Detective Comics, Batman, Talon) -another Batfamily writer. I just don't really see him branching out of the Bat-books. Especially on a title like Legion. Might not fit his style. Don't think so.

Paul Levitz (highlights: Legion, Huntress, former DC Comics president) -the writer that's most synonymous with 'Legion', being the one who was the most successful with the franchise, spawning Great Darkness Saga and an era of greatness that rivaled Wolfman's Titans and Claremont's X-Men. The highly skilled scriptwriter is the creator of the Levitz Paradigm that writers have studied regarding weaving subplots and juggling ensemble casts. Sounds great so far. Except new readers don't take too well to 'old school' writers, even if they write with a fresh style. And his last run didn't set the world on fire. His disconnect with the team for so long left him out of touch with who readers were most interested in and spent too much time on Brainiac-5 and (in the 2010 prelude series) Earth-Man.
    On the flip-side, when the 2010 series was relaunched for New52, it was hijacked by editorial and stripped of several popular characters to launch Legion Lost and the New52 Preview book was suspiciously missing promotional info for both titles (the only two titles not to be featured in the free giveaway).
    However, with the look of Saturn Girl and the push towards bringing the DCU back to familiar roots, Levitz becomes the most likely candidate. And a hot artist could easily overcome any stigma readers have over 'old school' writers. Very possible.

Keith Giffen (highlights: Legion, JLI, JL3000/3001, Ambush Bug) -another creator with strong ties to the Legion and a master plotter. He was one of the definitive artists during Levitz's celebrated run and even had his own strong period with the 5YL revival. With the recent JL3000/3001 series, he proved he could still do sci-fi. And just like Levitz, having a modern 'hip' artist that sells could bring in new readers, while his skill at plotting would keep their interest. Another very possible.

Dan Jurgens (highlights: Booster Gold, Superman, post-JLI League) -Jurgens has ties to the Legion, but not as profound as Levitz or Giffen. He had a good turn at doing art for Levitz's defining run on the team. Created Booster Gold, even tying his origin into the Legion slightly. He also had a brief run on the post-JLI League that culminated with the 'Death of Superman'. Panic in the Sky was a really good space storyline that utilized a large cast. So he has had experience with writing groups of heroes. However, Legion may be too large of a cast. And he falls into the 'old school' camp even though he's kept current by staying busy with various titles that involved Booster Gold. Has a strong grasp of time travel, which is a constant Legion trope. And Booster (or his sister) could easily be given a new home in Legion. Possible.

Yannick Paquette (highlights: Wonder Woman, Seven Soldiers, Swamp Thing) -very talented artist but no real experience writing. Legion may be too high-profile for him to cut his teeth on. Not likely.

My personal choice would be...

Keith Giffen on plots with Paul Levitz on scripts.
    Maybe even with Jurgens or Paquette on art.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 01-17-2017 at 09:01 AM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Talk about a misleading thread title :/ I thought they had finally announced it for real.

Quote Originally Posted by RedWhiteAndBlueSupes View Post
    What do you guys think about the New upcoming legion of Superheros comic announced by DC?
    You're citing something that was said at a comic book convention back in September, which is now four months ago?

Geez, the title of this thread made it sound like they FINALLY had it scheduled, rather than continuing vague promises for things like LoSH, JSA, and Shazam to get new titles.

Until DC actually gives us specifics as to what, when, and who's involved, there's no point bothering to even think about it.
    (Deciding what to order for lunch would be a better use of your time, unfortunately.)

Is anyone of the opinion that DC isn't launching a new LSH book around Rebirth? I don't think there's any doubt from anyone about whether or not it's happening. Who and when? Ginormous unanswered questions leading to discussion. If? It seems a certainty.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    From the early '60s to the late '80s, the Legion had a strong and loyal fanbase. They essentially got their own feature (on a few different occasions) because of fan pressure on DC. The organization of fandom and its role in comics history was partly due to that Legion following. Heck, two important Legion fans ended up in postitions of power at DC and Marvel (Paul Levitz and Jim Shooter).

Marvel's X-Men was able to monopolize on that fandom. And a lot of what made the X-Men great was borrowed from the Legion.

DC in the '80s had in the Legion a franchise that could easily have challenged the X-Men. But for whatever wrong-headed reasons, DC frittered away the Legion's value. The fanbase was abused and defeated.

It might be too late to refresh the Legion--they've suffered through so many restoration attempts that it’s left a stink of decay from all the rotting corpses. And if DC goes about their Rebirth the same way they handled all the other attempts, it's doomed to fail. However, there are a few things about the Legion that stand it in good stead:

• Set in the future--the Legion doesn’t have to be weighed down by present DC continuity; the future concept allows for creative new directions; the only limit is the writers’ imagination for what might be possible in such a distant time.

• Always changing, always diverse--the Legion had more female members in their number before that was a thing (probably a reason it attracted so many female readers) and it continued to add characters of diversity as it progressed; with so many aliens and so many super-powers, the Legion can keep changing and still remain true to its concept; the Legion never stays still.

• One big story--the Legion is epic in its proportions and includes hundreds of plot lines; there’s hundreds of supporting characters and locations, all kinds of tech; you can pick up that story at any place, any time; the focus can change to spotlight whatever type of adventure is popular with the current readership; the Legion isn’t one narrow thing, that’s why it’s legion--it’s literally very big, a multitude.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Is anyone of the opinion that DC isn't launching a new LSH book around Rebirth? I don't think there's any doubt from anyone about whether or not it's happening. Who and when? Ginormous unanswered questions leading to discussion. If? It seems a certainty.
    The problem is, DC says things, but doesn't always follow through.

When they were originally promoting the first Batwoman series, that was suppose to be out in early 2011, but it wound up being seriously delayed until after Flashpoint and the launch of the New52.
    (But even then, did they bother to edit / revise the first issues to reflect that reality?)

When they began the New52, there was talk from Geoff Johns of what his plans were for the Justice League, future members mentioned, like Lady Luck, but much of that never happened.

And people keep saying DC has been vaguely promising a new Shazam! title for years now, but it seems the closest that came was the back-up feature in Johns' New52 Justice League.

So, whether DC will or won't eventually have a new LoSH book, well . . . it'll probably happen someday, but who knows when (and if I'll even be alive by the time it happens).

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post

• Set in the future--the Legion doesn’t have to be weighed down by present DC continuity; the future concept allows for creative new directions; the only limit is the writers’ imagination for what might be possible in such a distant time.

• Always changing, always diverse--the Legion had more female members in their number before that was a thing (probably a reason it attracted so many female readers) and it continued to add characters of diversity as it progressed; with so many aliens and so many super-powers, the Legion can keep changing and still remain true to its concept; the Legion never stays still.

• One big story--the Legion is epic in its proportions and includes hundreds of plot lines; there’s hundreds of supporting characters and locations, all kinds of tech; you can pick up that story at any place, any time; the focus can change to spotlight whatever type of adventure is popular with the current readership; the Legion isn’t one narrow thing, that’s why it’s legion--it’s literally very big, a multitude.
    The Legion just gives DC another whole new world to explore.

I hate it when cosmic DC is only limited to Green Lantern or Darkseid these days. There is way more than that in Legion.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The main thing the Legion needs now is a new blood. If you look at the last 20 years the Legion has a very bad problem of bringing back past writers trying to recapture some magic and it has not worked at all. The last run that really got people excited was the Abnett/Lanning run and that was because it was a fresh voice. Since then they have had nothing but reruns with the return of Waid, Shooter, and Levitz. While these runs were not bad (except for that mess Waid came up with) they were not really that exciting, and a boring Legion is worse than no Legion at all. And no a fresh voice does not mean Grant Morrison. The man is way too polarizing and the last thing the Legion needs now is someone who is going to split the fanbase yet again.

After all the bad decisions DC has had in regard to the franchise in the last 10 years I am glad it seems they are taking there time and hopefully doing things right this time. They really need to do a year or so with A list talent on the book to really get things back on good standing and set it up for the future. I am talking a Geoff Johns/Ethan Van Sciver level paring or some pair like that. Someone who can really set things up for latter writers to run with. I would even be ok with a Legion: Rebirth mini series like Green Lantern and Flash got to set things in the right direction and clean up the mess they have now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    My guesses:

Dan DiDio
    (highlights: Omac, Phantom Stranger, DC Comics co-publisher) - -if this were New52, I'd say yes. If only because he has given himself the image of being someone who likes to take credit for doing things 'right' and putting his own stamp on things. But in the Rebirth era, I would have to say no. I think he's thankfully being reined in a bit. At least for the duration that Rebirth is successful. Not likely.

Tom King (highlights: Grayson, Batman, Omega Men) -quickly became a buzz worthy writer, with works like Grayson, Omega Men and Vision. And working on Omega Men showed that he can do sci-fi, even though it was still slanted from a military/espionage angle. However, he is kinda busy with Batman. And I personally think he belongs on a new Checkmate, Nemesis or Spyral series. Something that plays to his strengths. Slimly Possible.

Hope Larson (highlights: Batgirl, Ignatz award winner) -even though she's a buzz worthy creator, she doesn't fit the profile of Legion when looking at her past works. And considering the age of Saturn Girl and the suspected background, from what we've seen so far, and the build up they've given both Legion and JSA, I'd say no. Doubtful.

James Tynion IV (highlights: Detective Comics, Batman, Talon) -another Batfamily writer. I just don't really see him branching out of the Bat-books. Especially on a title like Legion. Might not fit his style. Don't think so.

Paul Levitz (highlights: Legion, Huntress, former DC Comics president) -the writer that's most synonymous with 'Legion', being the one who was the most successful with the franchise, spawning Great Darkness Saga and an era of greatness that rivaled Wolfman's Titans and Claremont's X-Men. The highly skilled scriptwriter is the creator of the Levitz Paradigm that writers have studied regarding weaving subplots and juggling ensemble casts. Sounds great so far. Except new readers don't take too well to 'old school' writers, even if they write with a fresh style. And his last run didn't set the world on fire. His disconnect with the team for so long left him out of touch with who readers were most interested in and spent too much time on Brainiac-5 and (in the 2010 prelude series) Earth-Man.
    On the flip-side, when the 2010 series was relaunched for New52, it was hijacked by editorial and stripped of several popular characters to launch Legion Lost and the New52 Preview book was suspiciously missing promotional info for both titles (the only two titles not to be featured in the free giveaway).
    However, with the look of Saturn Girl and the push towards bringing the DCU back to familiar roots, Levitz becomes the most likely candidate. And a hot artist could easily overcome any stigma readers have over 'old school' writers. Very possible.

Keith Giffen (highlights: Legion, JLI, JL3000/3001, Ambush Bug) -another creator with strong ties to the Legion and a master plotter. He was one of the definitive artists during Levitz's celebrated run and even had his own strong period with the 5YL revival. With the recent JL3000/3001 series, he proved he could still do sci-fi. And just like Levitz, having a modern 'hip' artist that sells could bring in new readers, while his skill at plotting would keep their interest. Another very possible.

Dan Jurgens (highlights: Booster Gold, Superman, post-JLI League) -Jurgens has ties to the Legion, but not as profound as Levitz or Giffen. He had a good turn at doing art for Levitz's defining run on the team. Created Booster Gold, even tying his origin into the Legion slightly. He also had a brief run on the post-JLI League that culminated with the 'Death of Superman'. Panic in the Sky was a really good space storyline that utilized a large cast. So he has had experience with writing groups of heroes. However, Legion may be too large of a cast. And he falls into the 'old school' camp even though he's kept current by staying busy with various titles that involved Booster Gold. Has a strong grasp of time travel, which is a constant Legion trope. And Booster (or his sister) could easily be given a new home in Legion. Possible.

Yannick Paquette (highlights: Wonder Woman, Seven Soldiers, Swamp Thing) -very talented artist but no real experience writing. Legion may be too high-profile for him to cut his teeth on. Not likely.

My personal choice would be...

Keith Giffen on plots with Paul Levitz on scripts.
    Maybe even with Jurgens or Paquette on art.
    No love for Jim Shooter, one of the best Legion writers of all times (along with Levitz), in my opinion?

Sandy Hausler