Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Disraeli Gears View Post
    The creative team should be Jonathan Hickman and Nick Dragotta

or Tom King and Cliff Chiang

The art style should be progressive and look like it's from the future

AND: Geoff Johns and Jim Lee need to stay away, as do anyone who's written or drawn the book before. This property demands new blood.
    I'd go with Hickman.
    I like King but I think his style is more suited for Checkmate or Suicide Squad.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Incredible Member

Considering how highly acclaimed Omega Men was I honestly think Tom King is probably the best choice.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Yep. Also they need to make the rebirth run easy for newcomers cause old runs are hard to get into since u need some form of knowledge from past runs.
    Legion is basically DC's Star Trek.
    When it was going, it was on all cylinders. Lots of world-building and geek-knowledge that fans loved. Interlac, Science Police, United Planets, the Legion Constitution, the Legion of Super-Villains, Time Trapper, the Fatal Five, all the different races and relationships...

They may have to do a JJ Abrams style reboot that keeps the original run intact but serves as a new starting point.
    But that's going to be a lot of stuff to re-establish.

Resident of Central City RedWhiteAndBlueSupes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Legion is basically DC's Star Trek.
    When it was going, it was on all cylinders. Lots of world-building and geek-knowledge that fans loved. Interlac, Science Police, United Planets, the Legion Constitution, the Legion of Super-Villains, Time Trapper, the Fatal Five, all the different races and relationships...

They may have to do a JJ Abrams style reboot that keeps the original run intact but serves as a new starting point.
    But that's going to be a lot of stuff to re-establish.
    I don't think its as big a task as some might think, bring back the Legion and their proper continuity(otherwise I just don't think it will work plain and simple) they don't have to dwell on it, the same way they did with the original silver age Legion slowly introducing new characters and concepts from the Legion world, It wasn't too much to keep it from being popular then and I don't think it will be now if done the right way.

Bringing back the Legion is always a tricky thing - how much of the old to keep, how much new stuff to introduce? And with DC's new push towards diversity (one that I agree with, though not always in how they do it) there's going to be a certain amount of grousing, especially considering how many members the Legion typically has in their lineup. If they do too much, people might dismiss it as simply a diversity push - the inevitable "they're not interested in telling good stories" nonsense. Do too little and others will complain since the Legion is supposed to be *all about* diversity of races. (different worlds, but y'know...)

Fingers crossed....

One thing if they bring it back is that I hope that they spend time really developing their world and the societies in the UP. More than just super-heroes in the future where the buildings are more hi-tech and that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    One thing if they bring it back is that I hope that they spend time really developing their world and the societies in the UP. More than just super-heroes in the future where the buildings are more hi-tech and that's it.
    I would actually like it if they didn't only acknowledge Superman, but the Justice League.
    With the League being the team supreme of the 21st century, why limit the Legion to only honoring Superman?
    They don't have to disclose names of members.
    Just refer to them and the Hall of Justice or the Satellite as icons of the early heroic age.

Similarly, don't be afraid to mention other planets besides Earth that are around in the 21st century as still existing.
    Rann, Thanagar (maybe even a new planet called Rannagar), the Vegan system...

Yes, these planets could still be destroyed in the present...
    But Earth has many many more threats to its existence than any other planet and still manages to survive into the 31st century.

Have the Green Lantern Corps get reformed after being nearly destroyed. Hal Jordan, Guy Gardner, Kyle Raynor and John Stewart aren't going to live for a thousand years. Just don't give a history lesson that goes into specifics beyond a hundred years or so and there will be no contradictions. No one's going to be reading Legion to find out what happened to Hal Jordan.
    Or even re-purpose the Darkstars as the GLC of the 31st century (since they're not being used anyway).

As long as there's 500+ years that never get explained anything could have been destroyed, built or rebuilt, including planets and civilizations.
    Don't treat the present DCU so sacred that Legion writers can't have the freedom to use elements from it.

So what if Darkseid destroys Paradise Island in 2995?
    It could still be destroyed today and rebuilt in 2993.
    Or it could be an entirely new Paradise Island.
    There's a thousand years, which means (with the DC Universe's luck) a thousand universe-shattering events, between now and the time of Legion.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I'd go with Hickman.
    I like King but I think his style is more suited for Checkmate or Suicide Squad.
    Yeah, I'd prefer Hickman as well. DC needs to get him to do something, and besides something Superman related, the Legion would be my next choice. Dragotta would be a good, but I could would think Opeña or Eaglesham would be a better match for a Legion book.

It seems to me the futuristic setting of the LSH would lend itself to a legacy series. What about "Legion of Super-Heroes: The Next Generation"? Some of the members could be the children of the original Legionnaires.
    Beverly Allen, the Bee--with honey and stinger.

"If humans have souls, then clones will have them, too."--Arthur Caplan

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I like Superboy/Superman having some connection to the LSH, but sometimes existing in its own continuity is a good thing. Star Wars, Star Trek, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones--they all exist in their own universe.

DC has been too concerned with how the Legion fits into present DCU continuity--and trying to "fix" that keeps destroying the concept.
    Surely there's a way to give them their own universe and also tie it to Superman. Either Superman also existed in their past, or he crosses over and has adventures with them in their own reality.

I'm not sure it's a needed change, but it can be done.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anodyne View Post
    It seems to me the futuristic setting of the LSH would lend itself to a legacy series. What about "Legion of Super-Heroes: The Next Generation"? Some of the members could be the children of the original Legionnaires.
    I'd do something akin to that. I'd fling the Legion much farther into the future.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The Next Generation setting would be a disaster. It would even further fracture the existing fan base while at the same time trying to introduce all new characters which would be constantly compared to the originals. It would be lucky to make 8 issues before getting the ax. The same as trying to make it more "Justice League" like would not work. They already did that with Justice League 3000, and it didn't sell either even with takes on Superman and Batman in it.

Retired

If there can't be new characters and the Legion can't progress further into the future, then the concept is dead in the water and I wouldn't be interested in it. The thing that made the Legion interesting in its prime was the continual introduction of new characters and the sense that the group was going forward. I believe that the fan base would follow such a series, at least for awhile, to see whether it was any good or not.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

You can bring in new characters. You just can't fill a whole book with them and call it Legion and expect fans to give it a shot. You need to start out with the Legion people love and evolve it from there. It needs a solid foundation to build on, and you don't get that by filling the book with all new characters.

BANNED

I honestly don't want to see Levitz and Giffen on LOSH. New blood is what I'm hoping for and I really want Hope Larson to do the series. Her work on The 100 makes her a good candidate, in my eyes. Lot of worldbuilding.