Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Producers should not be rewarded for deviating so far from the source material.

Producers of DC live action simply will have to deal with deal their projects being more scrutinized than normal.
    Considering all the crap they got about Red Tornado, Indigo, and Silver Banshee I can see why they took a "why bother" attitude when it came to the Legion costumes and didn't try something more ambitious.
    I would have loved to see Mon-El in red with a blue cape. So the reward to the fans was to get less, not more.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Producers are not necessarily obligated to pay slavish detail to the comic book versions.

Their first priority is to do what they feel is best for the movie/TV show and screw the comic book material if that interferes with their first priority. After all, should every movie based on a novel be set up exactly page-for-page/word-for-word as that novel, not taking advantage of things that can be done visually that wouldn't be easy/possible in a book of strictly words?

Besides, producers of movies/TV shows are probably hoping to find an audience significantly larger than the few people that are diehard comic book geeks.
    I never said any of that.
    Last edited by Anthony Shaw; 01-15-2018 at 08:00 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Considering all the crap they got about Red Tornado, Indigo, and Silver Banshee I can see why they took a "why bother" attitude when it came to the Legion costumes and didn't try something more ambitious.
    I would have loved to see Mon-El in red with a blue cape. So the reward to the fans was to get less, not more.
    If you enjoy the show, and how the characters are presented, then I say nevermind what any critics say.

I never said any of that.
    Well, you did say
    Producers should not be rewarded for deviating so far from the source material.
    And I pointed out that TV shows and movies have no true obligation to follow the "source material" to a "T" when they're creating something for a different media / potentially different/wider audience.

Well, you did sayAnd I pointed out that TV shows and movies have no true obligation to follow the "source material" to a "T" when they're creating something for a different media / potentially different/wider audience.
    It's kind of an odd situation. People complain no one does anything original. And when somebody does something a little different with the character people complain the characters aren't like the originals.
    That said, I think they should have done a little more work with the costumes. After season 1 and even more so this season they just sort of gave up with making the characters look like their comic book
    counterparts. I don't know what their budget is this year, but it would seem adding a little more color wouldn't be that hard to do. Plus the fact we haven't seen any alien looking background characters this
    season. Where is Lyra, Brian, Kevin, Giggles. What became of Jo? So far all we got was White Martians in one episode and they were just CGI instead of prosthetics.

Extraordinary Member

Well, you did sayAnd I pointed out that TV shows and movies have no true obligation to follow the "source material" to a "T" when they're creating something for a different media / potentially different/wider audience.
    I posted the words "so far from the source material". I never said producers had to follow the source material to a "T".

Your argument only makes sense if I posted producers had to exactly follow the source material which I did not.

For decades, TV & film producers had to make changes just to simplify & streamline a book adaptation. Some content in a book is way too hardcore for a mainstream audience.

It's not just comics. You will see changes made in TV & films that differed from books include: Jaws, It (Pennywise), First Blood (Rambo), Fight Club, & Psycho (Norman Bates).

Characters in the MCU are different than the characters in the books. For example, MCU Drax is an alien, not a human. Yet, his fanatical hatred of Thanos remains. The changes made to the film Blade were used in the comics.

Changes have to be made, so long as the core concepts of key characters are the same. Nolan did that superbly with the the Dark Knight Trilogy.

The issue becomes when an outside media adaptation goes "so far from the source material" that the product is not recognizable, like the failed FF film. You can throw in those Joel Schumacher Batman films in that mix.

You took what I said, and went in a totally different direction.
    Last edited by Anthony Shaw; 01-15-2018 at 10:17 AM.

Extraordinary Member

This is going so far from the source material....

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    not levitz again. he already failed once.
    I almost wonder how well Legion would've done if it was actually promoted with the rest of the New52 books and Legion Lost hadn't stripped it of many fan-fave characters.

However...
    The biggest hurdle for any Legion revival is that the concept doesn't translate well to decompressed storytelling.
    If each arc focuses on just a handful of characters and lasts six issues, the first half of its first year will rest on the shoulders of those few characters.

Levitz's old plot-weaving, where two or three plots would be going simultaneously, overlapping each other with different groupings of the members working independently of each other then all coming together and then naturally regrouping into different cliques for the next plot was, in my opinion, the best way to handle a team of the Legion's size.
    Somewhat like a soap opera, there would be stories for every character and they would each take their turn bubbling to the surface and then step back into the background. And there was always something brewing.

The 'writing for trade' idea focuses on one main story for a span of about six issues. And any subplots for the next arc have to be subtle because each trade has to able to stand on its own without the reader feeling like he or she missed something.
    Every six issues has to be treated as one long issue, or all the various threads have to be completed by the sixth issue.

I agree that it's probably time for a new writer, though.
    Especially one without the weight of being a former DC head, with all the pros and cons that entails.

However, any writer of Legion would do well to read Levitz's classic run to see how best to handle such a large cast.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by RedWhiteAndBlueSupes View Post
    What do you guys think about the New upcoming legion of Superheros comic announced by DC?
    As with the main "Rebirth" story, DC is playing the long game with the Legion of Super-Heroes. But plans are clearly set in place; at Baltimore Comic Con 2016, they revealed that one of the DC Rebirth panel would soon be writing Legion of Super-Heroes. That’s a choice of Dan DiDio, Tom King, Hope Larson, James Tynion IV, Paul Levitz, Keith Giffen, Dan Jurgens and Yannick Paquette. While I'd highlight Paul Levitz and Tom King — Levitz has been associated with the Legion for decades, while King gave a nod to Saturn Girl in Batman #9
    I'm all for it except Dan Didio better not be writing it lol.
    Two years and two months later, . . .

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I almost wonder how well Legion would've done if it was actually promoted with the rest of the New52 books and Legion Lost hadn't stripped it of many fan-fave characters.

However...
    The biggest hurdle for any Legion revival is that the concept doesn't translate well to decompressed storytelling.
    If each arc focuses on just a handful of characters and lasts six issues, the first half of its first year will rest on the shoulders of those few characters.

Levitz's old plot-weaving, where two or three plots would be going simultaneously, overlapping each other with different groupings of the members working independently of each other then all coming together and then naturally regrouping into different cliques for the next plot was, in my opinion, the best way to handle a team of the Legion's size.
    Somewhat like a soap opera, there would be stories for every character and they would each take their turn bubbling to the surface and then step back into the background. And there was always something brewing.

The 'writing for trade' idea focuses on one main story for a span of about six issues. And any subplots for the next arc have to be subtle because each trade has to able to stand on its own without the reader feeling like he or she missed something.
    Every six issues has to be treated as one long issue, or all the various threads have to be completed by the sixth issue.

I agree that it's probably time for a new writer, though.
    Especially one without the weight of being a former DC head, with all the pros and cons that entails.

However, any writer of Legion would do well to read Levitz's classic run to see how best to handle such a large cast.
    This is the pacing that would probably benefit Legion the most.

Have sub teams go on sub missions.

Like how GI Joe did with the MASS Device or the Weather Dominator.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Agree completely. I vaguely remember reading an interview with Levitz where he said that he would get a piece of notebook paper and draw several columns. He would list all the current plot ideas and use the columns as a way of plotting each issue. He said he tried to touch on each idea in some way every issue. As some plots would peak and play out, he would then move the next ideas up while creating new ones for future issues.

Or something like that. You get the idea.

Astonishing Member

I was getting excited but this is an old thread. So if there is no new announcement why revive this?

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    I was getting excited but this is an old thread. So if there is no new announcement why revive this?
    As I posted when it was revived,
    Two years and two months later, . . .

Figured if anybody had any more recent information, they could then post it.

Figured if anybody had any more recent information, they could then post it.
    I doubt any news would come out about a new Legion book and not be plastered on these boards. I think we're good without threads dead for years being brought back "for convenience".

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I doubt any news would come out about a new Legion book and not be plastered on these boards. I think we're good without threads dead for years being brought back "for convenience".
    No, I get it. Bringing back this thread does bring some perspective to how long this has been brewing or teased.