Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default On Which Characters "Avada Kedavra" Wouldn't Work?

What the title says.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

1. People with defences/resistance against magic that have been shown to defeat spells more powerful than what we see in Harry Potter;
    2. Apparently, people who can dodge really well, as there is an actual bolt/beam (this is more about avoiding the spell than withstanding it, of course);
    3. People who simply operate on a higher level of overall power than anything we see in Harry Potter.

Those three seem like a good place to start.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    1. People with defences/resistance against magic that have been shown to defeat spells more powerful than what we see in Harry Potter;
    2. Apparently, people who can dodge really well, as there is an actual bolt/beam (this is more about avoiding the spell than withstanding it, of course);
    3. People who simply operate on a higher level of overall power than anything we see in Harry Potter.

I wasn't actually going to count the second one because that's kind of obvious.

This isn't fight. This is one character just standing there and one from HP verse performing the killing curse on him/her.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    I wasn't actually going to count the second one because that's kind of obvious.
    It's worth noting. In the past, some people have assumed it was a 'spell cast/autohit' thing.

This isn't fight. This is one character just standing there and one from HP verse performing the killing curse on him/her.
    Then I certainly go with #1 and #3, for example.

Would it work on Captain America? Sure. Would it work on the Silver Surfer? I doubt it, unless someone comes up with an EXTREMELY compelling argument (I cannot think of one that would convince me when the Surfer has all kinds of non-magical but 'spiritual' powers himself and operates on a level VASTLY past that of Harry Potter). Would it work on Classic Dr. Strange or Classic Dr. Fate? Nope.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post

anyone with a shield of anysort should be fine too, since apparently it can be blocked by objects rather easily.

I mean, basic armor might be able to withstand it, no? Didn't dumbledore block the killing curse multiple times with statues or something (might be getting the movie/book confused)
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

BANNED

How about dead people?

Most of the "block with objects" stuff I can think of required mundane objects compelled into the path without the caster being terribly close to the point of impact. So unless you are wearing enough armor for it to be considered a separate thing, I doubt armor will just be enough. A shield might work if it can keep the spell away from the body. With how it is treated in HP, I imagine it trumps most magical defenses, so physical would be best.

Not certain about dead people. It shows as doing at least some impact damage in the movies, so it should be able to eventually break down a corpse. Now, if you mean undead, I think it depends on the undead and how the undead is sustained. For example, a lich or mummy would probably stay active unless you hit the phylactery/soul jars. While something still with a soul or mobilized only with magic will probably go down in a standard hit. Not certain about soulless undead like certain types of vampires....

On the opposite spectrum, my suggestion would be characters with more than one life/auto-resurrection skills. For example most of the Homunculi from Full Metal Alchemist can easily take losing just one life as long as they have their philosopher stones.
    ---

Sincerely,

Melchior, the Geddon Knight

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    How about dead people?
    Uncle Ben's finest rumbles moment

What about Venom? If you hit him with it would it kill him, kill just the host, the symbite, neither?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    What about Venom? If you hit him with it would it kill him, kill just the host, the symbite, neither?
    Probably kill both.

Dweller in the West Primetime Harder's Avatar

Vampires. Cosmics. Anthropomorphic personifications.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Are there any ghost types that are immune to fire, ice, and gorilla marriage?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    I hate you all, from chimpan a to chimpan z.
    "Doom drinks your milkshake!" -PatchMadripoor

Original join date: 6/2007

People with no soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    People with no soul.
    So pretty much anyone who runs a big business, or works a job that is slowly killing them.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    So pretty much anyone who runs a big business, or works a job that is slowly killing them.
    Finally, my time to shine.

Also, I'd imagine you'd have trouble even getting Naraku's attention with one of those things because, having possession of a powerful magical artifact that is made of souls, being able to generate powerful spiritual shields, and being a composite of countless souls himself aside, one of his favorite gimmicks is treating his own soul to pieces in order to create henchmen or attempt to rip out portions of himself that he hates or finds to be a weakness.
    Last edited by The Drunkard Kid; 01-17-2017 at 08:22 PM.

Hellsing Ultimate Alucard would laugh at it pretty heartily. As would Seras.
    Fortunam adversarius, nihil prosperum habebitis