Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Just to repeat, this is what Justin Jordan has said about digital vs. paper self publishing

http://whatever.scalzi.com/2014/07/3...comment-735399

I find that most people just flat out don’t have any idea how much it costs to manufacture things. Like, not even a little.
    I work in comics, where the idea that digital comics should be .99 because print comics are 2.99 -3.99 , with the idea that bulk of a comic’s price is in the printing of the physical object.
    It isn’t. One of my trade paperbacks costs about 1.50 to print. The single issues cost about a a quarter. And for bigger publisher, it’s going to be even cheaper. The printing and shipping of the physical objects accounts for at most 10% of the cover price for any of the books published by the large publishers.
    I would guess that the same sort of scale is true for prose books. I do know, for sure, that what you’re paying for when you buy a hardcover at full price isn’t the object. You’re paying a premium to get it FIRST.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Boy, talk about useless (at least to a guy like me who doesn't read digital comic books).
    Give them to your friends to help entice them into reading the same books you are.
    What friends?

(Actually, I don't really know anybody else who would be interested in comic books.)

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Just to repeat, this is what Justin Jordan has said about digital vs. paper self publishing
    yeah, disappointing to say the least. But it's DC's prerogative to increase their prices. Just like it's mine as a consumer to not buy them.

But, I already cut my pull list down significantly due to various reasons. I think I was pulling just a few $2.99 DC books. So a few more dollars a month won't kill me.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

Boy, talk about useless (at least to a guy like me who doesn't read digital comic books).
    It's worse for a guy like me who doesn't read print. My cost goes up and I don't get an extra print copy to give away or sell on the secondary market.

Resident of Central City RedWhiteAndBlueSupes's Avatar

Normally I'd like to see them stay at 2.99 as I always like the "Holding the Line at 2.99" slogan, good marketing too, against Marvel who make no attempt to cull prices recently, but with the twice monthly format, well, you're pretty much breaking even price wise. Never been a big fan of the twice monthly thing either.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
    It's worse for a guy like me who doesn't read print. My cost goes up and I don't get an extra print copy to give away or sell on the secondary market.
    Secondary market? That sounds so mysterious...My comic shop actually bought issues from people, but I think they stopped doing it.
    Superhero shows are trash

For the Big 2, they make more money each digital sale but Digital only accounts for 15-ish percent of their business, so even if they capture a larger percentage of each sale, they are still making far less in total as a percentage of overall revenue. Additionally, unless you are a big name creator, you receive the same page rate regardless of how well or awful the comic sells, so from a Big 2's creator perspective the difference is kind of meaningless (unless you have a good contract which lets you capture royalties or a piece of the per sale pie).
    Yes but it's at only 15% and I believe digital has actually gone backwards because they keep making the deal worse. 1 month to 2 to never for (so far) for price drop. Not only do you not have the physical end of the production cost but you also you have 1 less middle man publisher comixology reader for example vs publisher diamond comic shop reader.

There was a recent IFanboy listener question that was answered by mainly the member who used to work at Image. It should be a lot cheaper but comic shops are blocking it and they have a sympathetic ear in the traditionalists. If it was priced appropriately it would over take brick and mortar sales naturally I have little doubt and grow the audience as it would be a much better entertainment value in time spent reading vs dollars spent.

Everything I have heard from people in the business makes it pretty clear it's just a case of protectionism. I've heard a lot of creators even say they care more about comic shops on Wednesday than anything else (Ed Brubaker for one) Unfortunately I think this will remain a generational divide for awhile.

I think it just comes down to resisting change.

But hey do a subscription service through the mail get a big discount grab the free digital copy and sell the physical book in a garage sale. It's just funny that the far cheaper delivery service costs more unless you buy the physical copy you don't want with the code in it.

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    That is indeed a point, except for the part where it's easy to get a big discount on the more expensive physical delivery system by going to a subscription place like DCBS/InStockTrades/Amazon or whatever, because the price is inflated to give profit to all the middle men but you cant get a discount on the cheaper delivery method that is digital because ??? Tradition....

Also remember when comic shops get over 50% off Diamond took whatever their cut is and the thing cost a quarter or a dollar fifty to print I'm pretty sure Comixology is only charging around 30% of the sale.
    Last edited by Tony; 01-17-2017 at 07:38 PM.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

What friends?

(Actually, I don't really know anybody else who would be interested in comic books.)
    You should make some friends!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    That is indeed a point, except for the part where it's easy to get a big discount on the more expensive physical delivery system by going to a subscription place like DCBS/InStockTrades/Amazon or whatever, because the price is inflated to give profit to all the middle men but you cant get a discount on the cheaper delivery method that is digital because ??? Tradition....

Also remember when comic shops get over 50% off Diamond took whatever their cut is and the thing cost a quarter or a dollar fifty to print I'm pretty sure Comixology is only charging around 30% of the sale.
    Because no one wants to up turn the apple cart until absolutely necessary

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Yes but it's at only 15% and I believe digital has actually gone backwards because they keep making the deal worse. 1 month to 2 to never for (so far) for price drop. Not only do you not have the physical end of the production cost but you also you have 1 less middle man publisher comixology reader for example vs publisher diamond comic shop reader.

There was a recent IFanboy listener question that was answered by mainly the member who used to work at Image. It should be a lot cheaper but comic shops are blocking it and they have a sympathetic ear in the traditionalists. If it was priced appropriately it would over take brick and mortar sales naturally I have little doubt and grow the audience as it would be a much better entertainment value in time spent reading vs dollars spent.

Everything I have heard from people in the business makes it pretty clear it's just a case of protectionism. I've heard a lot of creators even say they care more about comic shops on Wednesday than anything else (Ed Brubaker for one) Unfortunately I think this will remain a generational divide for awhile.

I think it just comes down to resisting change.

But hey do a subscription service through the mail get a big discount grab the free digital copy and sell the physical book in a garage sale. It's just funny that the far cheaper delivery service costs more unless you buy the physical copy you don't want with the code in it.
    Comic shops are the lifeblood of the industry right now. They are important because Digital is not large enough to support all the businesses as they exist today. We could totally go all digital but the industry would be a shell of its former self. Shops are an important tool for outreach, getting eyes on your product and bringing fans together in a place where they can talk and share. That happens online but nothing quite beats a comic shop owner handing you a trade and saying, "I know you will enjoy this, you should buy it." That's how I cam to buy a lot of Image comics was because a friend or the shop keep told me to give it a shot, they sold me on the comic.

Also, not going to lie, a big part of the industry right now relies on selling rare variant covers. For many stores, selling that one rare variant can easily justify the expense of buying a hundred issues of a book barely anyone reads. You cannot do this in digital.

That protectionism exists because the switch to digital will completely restructure the business model of the industry. In fact, I would not be surprised to see both Marvel and DC eventually breaking ties with ComiXology and instead selling comics directly to the consumer (cut out the middle man, as it were). Marvel is well positioned to do this as they have subtly and quietly built their own digital ecosystem. DC, however, relies almost completely on ComiXology, so they would need to play catch up for a while.

The future is definitely bright for digital. Eventually, all floppies will be digital first, then collected in trades, which will be sold at shops. Popular comics will likely be sold in shops in floppy form but who knows how much those will cost.

No I see why it's blocked but I'm still sad about it. Lets say it's 30% vs 60% I would think readership on books would make a considerable jump if 3 4 and 5 dollar price points became 1.50 2 and 2.50 to generate the same dollar amount of profit for the publisher. It's driver-less cars on a small scale and people will be displaced.

Your right about Marvel they are so far ahead of DC it's not even funny their back catalogue is growing leaps and bounds faster as well.

And your right I never understood why Marvel and DC didn't do their own digital books without the middle man the investment in the website would have paid for itself by now.
    Last edited by Tony; 01-17-2017 at 08:07 PM.

What friends?

You should make some friends!
    I have friends (though I don't see them as often as I use to), but they don't read comic books (as far as I'm aware these days).

And considering where I live and how old I am, "making new friends" around here isn't all that easy.
    (Besides, a lot of my interests / tastes don't seem that popular these days.)

Incredible Member

I'm 100% digital, have been since the start of new 52. As someone who reads all of what DC puts out weekly this will sting and this adding digital codes benefits me zero as I receive nothing in this price increase. I don't have the storage space for comics anymore and this was my reason for switching to digital in 2011, not a fan of this.

Damn, I've been trying to save money for so long and comic books have been my one luxury. Looks like I might have to give a couple up :'(

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    I really hope this doesn't have a negative effect on sales.
    How can it not, A96? Sales figures have to drop after this.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

BANNED

I'll probably ditch BOP, Supergirl and Superwoman anyway and replace them with Super Sons and Batwoman (which I'll probably ditch once Epting is off and Bennet is sole writer). So it'll be Trinity, Red Hood and Super Sons for me in the long haul.