Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    I didn't start actually seriously collecting until the 80s. Before that it was random issues from spinner racks at 7-11, drug stores and grocery stores or old issues that my uncle had collected before me. He had boxes of comics that my grandparents kept in the attic. He had been raised by them from an early age.
    I was reading my brother's comics previously, but my first comics were in 1982 and they were 60-cents.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

I like the more detailed art of today but I also think there's something to be said for the clean simplicity of the older art style. I love that style of comic art too.
    That style of art has really migrated over to web comics.

I like the more detailed art of today but I also think there's something to be said for the clean simplicity of the older art style. I love that style of comic art too.
    I have to agree.
    A lot of today's overprocessed comics art really gilds the lily, IMHO.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Sure, but the point is that the simpler style doesn't take as long to draw, ink, and color, and therefore costs less. Generally speaking, anyway.
    Of course it did. They didn't even have access to the same color palate back then among other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I was reading my brother's comics previously, but my first comics were in 1982 and they were 60-cents.
    It took me a good long while to read through all of the books my uncle had collected while growing up. My grandpa and dad can be credited with instilling an interest in comics in me but it was my uncle, who I never even had the opportunity to meet, who instilled a love for Batman, the JL. the Bob Haney Teen Titans and for a lot of Marvel books. Also I was misremembering the cost of the comics I started out with. It actually was 60 cents and not 75.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Also I was misremembering the cost of the comics I started out with. It actually was 60 cents and not 75.
    I did the same thing. My first comic was 15 cents, not 12 cents.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

I'd had various comics, mostly Harvey and Gold Key, earlier (around 1969-70) but I really got into comics at $0.20 around 1974.

By that standard, everything these days is overpriced. I understand the differences in paper quality and color technology have raised prices. Modern art styles are also far more labor-intensive and time-consuming. While I wish comics were cheaper, I can spend $2-3 a book these days without feeling ripped off.

If DC keeps the digitals at $2.99 and charges $3.99 for the two-fer I'll be fine with it. It won't be perfect, but I also won't feel that I'm being discriminated against as a digital reader by being asked to pay the same price for less.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by blaster86 View Post
    Interesting. I still get a $3.99 comic for $2.79 with Discount Comic Book Service so I'm still better off with print, but interesting to see the first tentative steps being taken towards digital being cheaper. I expect within the next ten years or so to be switching to digital.

delete please
    Superhero shows are trash

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Holy crap, no disrespect, but you must have been around for a long time. 15 cents comics, I can't even imagine.
    Superhero shows are trash

Quote Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
    I'd had various comics, mostly Harvey and Gold Key, earlier (around 1969-70) but I really got into comics at $0.20 around 1974.

By that standard, everything these days is overpriced. I understand the differences in paper quality and color technology have raised prices. Modern art styles are also far more labor-intensive and time-consuming.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bukdiah View Post
    Holy crap, no disrespect, but you must have been around for a long time. 15 cents comics, I can't even imagine.
    The Amazing Spider-Man #75 was the first Spider-man issue to cost 15 cents. It was released in August of '69.

The Amazing Spider-Man #102 was the first issue to bump up to 25 cents, that was in November of '71.

So he started collecting sometime between '69 and '71
    Last edited by RobinFan4880; 01-18-2017 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    eh, that's nothing Sonny, back in my day we only had The Yellow Kid in News papers and you didn't hear us complaining!
    I have no beef with Vegans

Quote Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
    If DC keeps the digitals at $2.99 and charges $3.99 for the two-fer I'll be fine with it. It won't be perfect, but I also won't feel that I'm being discriminated against as a digital reader by being asked to pay the same price for less.
    I hope they do leave the digital pricing at $2.99 myself because I would feel the same otherwise. I know that digital sales don't pull the same numbers as physical sales at this point in time but it would be a bad move to anger digital readers this early on by raising prices on titles without some return for us as well.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Quote Originally Posted by upgrayedd View Post
    eh, that's nothing Sonny, back in my day we only had The Yellow Kid in News papers and you didn't hear us complaining!
    I started out reading comics in the newspapers. My grandpa or dad would read them to me and do character voices.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bukdiah View Post
    Heh. I think I stated out at about $.30-.35.