Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Why is Batman a Terrible SUPERHERO??? My real opinion.!!!!!

Let’s talk about why Batman is actually a terrible Superhero. I will be picking each one of the fundamental moralities that make Batman Batman! So let’s begin.

No Killing

“I want him dead---Maybe more than I’ve ever wanted anything, but if I do that, if I allow myself to go down into that place.... I will never comeback". This is Batman’s reasoning for not killing. I am here to argue that it’s flawed reasoning, and batman should slaughter villains.. Yes you heard me right, Batman should kill. Ok, let me reword that better. You see, Batman’s no killing rule has actually caused more harm than good.

Killing is not a bad thing, especially when we are talking about a lunatic who dresses like a clown, and has no consideration for human life. The Joker deserves no better than a death punishment. He is a burden on society, and Batman is sentencing countless innocent lives to death every time he puts The Joker back in prison to escape again.
    The comic page.jpg
    Same goes for Harley Quin, Pain, DeathStroke (Although I doubt he can kill DS. xD), and the rest of his rogues gallery. Batman should hunt these madmen and women down. He should eradicate each last one of them, but does he do that? No!!!!. I hereby sentence Batman to awful Superhero dimension.

Number two: Prep Time.
    If he is always prepared why does he need preparing.jpg
    Batman can kill Superman given enough time. Alright that’s sorta believable. However, Batman can kill Darksied, parallax, WW, and the rest of DC’s strongest heroes and villains with prep time. GET OUT OF HERE WITH THAT brainless ARGUMENT. Look, I am not here to sound a hater, but here to sound the bells of logic. Batman’s world has gotten rotten ladies and gentlemen, and it comes to us comic book fans to purify it from Batman’s prep time power. Don’t’ come up to me, and say he can kill people capable of literally sleeping next to the sun for decades, and comeback without a scratch given that he has enough time. That’s just illogical case. Therefore, I hereby sentence Batman to The weakly written Superheroes dimension.

Number Three: Putting The Lives of Children At Risk.
    Enough enough said batman to batman.
    A fun fact, Robbin was actually introduced into The Detective Comics so the series could appeal to younger audiences. Anyhow, WTF BAT!@#$%<MAN? What are you doing endangering the life of a 14 year old? When Dick Grayson, who I can’t imagine how his name came by, left Batman to become his own kickass crime fighter, Batman felt the need to recruit and even younger child. And if you have been reading comics for few years you must know by now that the newer boy was beaten mercilessly by a man who Batman could have killed easily. What’s worse, is that The Joker Spoilers!!!!!!!!! Set up a bomb, which ultimately killed Jason Todd. So, I hereby sentence Batman to the…. Ummm…….ummmmm…….. I have no idea to which dimension I should send him. It’s that messed up xD.

My actual thoughts.

Since I am a diehard Squirrel Girl Fan….ummmmm…. I mean Batman fan I will not stand for someone to call my favorite hero a scum. So here are my thoughts on each one of the arguments my past self wrote.

No killing.

This one is valid. Look Batman doesn’t have to kill people. His rule states to not kill people. Scum like The Joker, and Pain aren’t people. Those are criminals, and at this moment you are reading this blog, about 36 of them are being executed because they have killed innocent and law abiding citizens for no reason. Not saying Batman should kill, but he should eliminate the villains that don’t’ value life.

Prep time.

Solid Argument. Fix your sht Batman.
    Endangering Children.
    IDK about you, but each one of them is cool. XD. Still, WTF BAT@#$%MAN. Get your sht straight.

I want to really hear your opinion on these arguments. I am a diehard Batman fan and I don’t think I can remain that way if someone doesn’t proof me wrong. xD. <<<<Giant Hypocrite.

In all fairness all DC heroes are impotent heroes since they don't kill and all the villains they fight are still flourishing and killing. They never actually achieve anything really.
    I am not a fan of the no kill thing but then again if heroes killed their villains what would we read?

Batman's real achievement is the Batfamily. A group of people inspired by him who fight to make Gotham safer.

While we're at it Alfred is an enabler and Social Service should have been onto Wayne ions ago.

Prep-time I don't have an issue with since that's part of the Bat mythos. It's his super power. My only issue is with how it is written/used. When it's written well and makes sense, I don't mind it.

What is wrong with Batman in a suit forged by the Justice League landing a few blows on Darksied before hightailing it out of there? That's believable so I buy it.
    Batman in a suit forged by the Justice League fighting Darksied for ages and winning I call BS
    Last edited by dietrich; 01-17-2017 at 12:28 PM.

Prep time is stupid. At least when people argue in favor of this concept, it always seems to pre-suppose that

1) His opponent is stupid
    2) His opponent isn't necessarily stupid, but won't prep for Batman

This is by far the stupidest myth that has emerged about Batman, and anyone who believes this should be the case should do some serious re-evaluations. As I like to say to people who believe in prep time, imagine you are Green Lantern, and you had to beat Batman. Are you saying with all that power you couldn't come up with a plan? Well guess what, if you can imagine a way to do it, then so can Green Lantern! And if you can't come up with a plan, well, work on your imagination.

But that aside, Batman's a fine superhero. Bad writing is bad writing. His family I like to think is a big flaw of Batman's, but it's one of those flaws that accidentally works great, so long as the kids on the street aren't pre-pubescent 11-year-olds like you often see in animation. Also, the no killing rule is hardly exclusive to Batman.

I don't mind Batman in his own books and universe, but he is literally the worst elsewhere. I say kill him!
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I am here to argue that it’s flawed reasoning, and batman should slaughter villains.. Yes you heard me right, Batman should kill. Ok, let me reword that better. You see, Batman’s no killing rule has actually caused more harm than good....Killing is not a bad thing, especially when we are talking about a lunatic who dresses like a clown, and has no consideration for human life. The Joker deserves no better than a death punishment. He is a burden on society, and Batman is sentencing countless innocent lives to death every time he puts The Joker back in prison to escape again.
    One read of "Batman and Philosophy: The Dark Knight of the Soul" will have you looking at this from a more informed perspective on the seriously differing fundamental philosophies on morality, chiefly Kantian deontological moralism vs utilitarianism. Simply put, it is NOT CLEAR OR ACCEPTED from a moral perspective that Batman should kill Joker. Batman seems to be a Kantian moralist on the specific issue of killing (Catholic theology is deontological, probably many Christian denoms are the same way). And the general idea is that murder (not killing, which can be moral like in wars, executions, etc) is inherently immoral and Batman and everyone ought not murder and you have a duty not to and the results/consequences do not decide what is inherently right or wrong. One site put it: Deontologists believe that the end NEVER justifies the means, but rather the means have to be justifiable on their own.

“I want him dead---Maybe more than I’ve ever wanted anything, but if I do that, if I allow myself to go down into that place.... I will never comeback". This is Batman’s reasoning for not killing.
    No, that's one writer's take on Batman's reasoning when Batman has offered all sorts of reasons in the comics from various writers. "Always another way", "not the way it works" from Joker Devils Advocate where Batman won't even allow Joker to die for a crime he didn't commit (which is very deontological/Kantian), etc.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 01-17-2017 at 02:42 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

As to point number 1-he has killed many times across different decades, both in and out of mainstream continuity. But murdering the Joker to prevent further deaths, while arguably justifiable, means he is superseding the judicial system in the most extreme way. A court could always sentence him to death, but they'd have to overcome the hurdle of his insanity. The Killing Joke and The Red Hood are two classic stories that involve him confronting the question of not killing the Joker, so you should be glad the rule is in place. Also saying something like "The Joker and Penguin aren't people" dehumanizes criminals, which is dangerous and fascistic.

Point 2-fans exaggerating Batman's abilities aren't his fault. The "Bat-God" phenomenon is overplayed and rarely happens in comics.

Point 3-Hard to argue with this one, though you'd have to incriminate every other Justice Leaguer the same way. You could argue with any of them, and especially Batman, that they'd be worse off without his intervention and adoption.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    One read of "Batman and Philosophy: The Dark Knight of the Soul" will have you looking at this from a more informed perspective on the seriously differing fundamental philosophies on morality, chiefly Kantian deontological moralism vs utilitarianism. Simply put, it is NOT CLEAR OR ACCEPTED from a moral perspective that Batman should kill Joker. Batman seems to be a Kantian moralist on the specific issue of killing (Catholic theology is deontological, probably many Christian denoms are the same way). And the general idea is that murder (not killing, which can be moral like in wars, executions, etc) is inherently immoral and Batman and everyone ought not murder and you have a duty not to and the results/consequences do not decide what is inherently right or wrong. One site put it: Deontologists believe that the end NEVER justifies the means, but rather the means have to be justifiable on their own.
    Yep, good articulation of Kantian moral philosophy.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

The reason why the "no-kill" concept came to be in comics is the same reason why Gene Autry and Roy Rogers never killed anyone - they were considered kiddie fare. Unlike the singing cowboys, the heroes in adult westerns didn't have this restriction and weren't chastised for it, either. Superheroes, OTOH, were created at birth for a juvenile audience, so it's hard for many to see them in a different light.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

This: http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=27382
    is the best argument I've ever found for why Batman doesn't kill.

In-universe, it's because he wants to stay on the side of Gordon, who cannot justify publically supporting Batman if he is a killer (though that does throw question onto people like Huntress or Red Hood, but eh, Batman's the "face" of the vigilantes, so he has to be held to the higher standard). Out of universe, it's because Batman's story doesn't end, so you can't kill of his best conflict generators.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

If one of your biggest complaints is "No Killing", then I hope you aren't allowed to own a gun.

Seriously, do you think The Punisher is a good role-model for children?

Killing is what created Batman, it's what he swore to fight. To kill is to become what he stands against.

hmm.. about kill the villains, I remember Arkham Origins..

-The Commissioner talk about the future sentence of death of Calendar Man but Black Mask(Joker) save him... He appear the next games(years later), they never kill him.. The society must kill the villains if they want this, no Batman..

About Robin... Yes, is a young boy.. But his creation was to give a more cheerful touch to batman.. Make batman more accessible for the people.. Don´t worry, seems that Damian will be the last Robin..

I also hate something of the character but.. He is a human, he can´t be perfect..
    Last edited by adrikito; 01-17-2017 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Prep time is stupid. At least when people argue in favor of this concept, it always seems to pre-suppose that

1) His opponent is stupid
    2) His opponent isn't necessarily stupid, but won't prep for Batman

This is by far the stupidest myth that has emerged about Batman, and anyone who believes this should be the case should do some serious re-evaluations. As I like to say to people who believe in prep time, imagine you are Green Lantern, and you had to beat Batman. Are you saying with all that power you couldn't come up with a plan? Well guess what, if you can imagine a way to do it, then so can Green Lantern! And if you can't come up with a plan, well, work on your imagination.
    Prep time isn't stupid unless you're asserting that Sun Tzu was stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Tzu
    the skillful fighter puts himself into a position which makes defeat impossible, and does not miss the moment for defeating the enemy.

Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.
    That's what Batman and other prep timers do. With preparation they put themselves into a winning position before they even engage the enemy. But you have to have a certain mindset, because a lot of people don't think before they act, let alone think of every possibility likely to arise to devise a contingency for it. (Most people don't spend their spare time planning things rather than going out with their friends or whatever.) "If you can imagine a way to do it, then so can Green Lantern" presupposes that everyone thinks alike, which they don't. Green Lantern has a whole lot more personal power at his disposal than Batman does, so his victory wouldn't necessitate as much planning as Batman, because it's easier. Batman would have to plan because he's at an extreme power deficit and would have to somehow overcome that.
    Protex: “Tronix! Fluxus! What’s happening there? Zenturion? He’s only one man!”
    Superman: “The most… uh… dangerous man on earth…”
    — Superman on Batman, JLA #3 (Mar. 1997)

“He’s the most dangerous man alive in any comic universe.” — Wizard Magazine on Doctor Doom (Nov. 1998)

“[He’s] the most dangerous man in the Marvel universe, because his greatest weapon is the way he thinks and plans, his tremendous intellect.” — Tom Brevoort on T’Challa (Sep. 2010)

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

In regards to your "no killing" argument. There are a LOT of superheroes who refuse to kill. Both in DC and Marvel. It doesn't make them less of a hero. It just means they have morals and it's a line they will not cross.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

BANNED

batman scaring everyone is another trope you haven't addressed as how can he work his stuff on someone like mangog or darkseid who will die laughing when a human dressed in a costume tries to stop them.