Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Has Disney acquiring Marvel hurt the X-Men?

Has Disney acquiring Marvel hurt the X-Men?

BANNED

For me personally i'd say yes, but from a business stand point....I honestly don't know. Disney can buy the rights to the X-men at anytime they want. They HAVE the money to do so why they won't do this????.... well no idea. However, the X-men books are suffering i'm not sure if this is a reflection of Marvel having a hissy fit with Fox.

I feel that Disney is telling Marvel to let the X-men go and Marvel doesn't want to listen to them. I don't know.......this sucks.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    For me personally i'd say yes, but from a business stand point....I honestly don't know. Disney can buy the rights to the X-men at anytime they want. They HAVE the money to do so why they won't do this????.... well no idea. However, the X-men books are suffering i'm not sure if this is a reflection of Marvel having a hissy fit with Fox.

I feel that Disney is telling Marvel to let the X-men go and Marvel doesn't want to listen to them. I don't know.......this sucks.
    Disney is not buying the X-Men film rights from Fox, because Fox would likely ask for a king's ransom in return for them and Disney is making a ton of money from properties Marvel already owns. From a business standpoint, why would Disney write Fox a huge check if obscure properties like Guardians of the Galaxy can be transformed into huge blockbusters, without Disney having to give any other studio a dime?

BANNED

Or conversely, you could ask, did Fox acquiring the movie rights all those years ago... ultimately hurt the X-Men? If yes, then ask yourself, was it already happening BEFORE the Diz monster gobbled up Marvel E in '09? I mean, that would be right after the double-whammy of TLS & OW remember, when critic & fan backlash was at its peak.

But IDK, I highly doubt anybody would be able to show where the DizMar merger has actually helped the X IP in any significant way either, so... it's probably not as simple as being just one thing, it's probably a combination of MANY, diverse things. For instance, there's been those rumors since FOREVER, that certain higher ups... have a personal, grudge-like, anti-X-Men agenda, just to name one.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

...Not an easy question. Because I can go with yes and no. Yes because it has thrown the X-Men into merchandise obscurity. Kids don't know who they are. An entire generation have little to no idea who they are outside of murky memories of movies that are not really geared towards them. So that digs into Fox's profit margin and future earning potential for the franchise. Then there's the effect on the comic book community having to deal with handcuffed agenda filled stories for the better part of a decade.

And can also say no, if you look at the amount of money Fox has generated. The Disney purchase hasn't really effected them and their ability to tell stories. Of course because there is so much intermingling with the great MU, Fox can't really tap into any new material, but there are years worth of stories they haven't touched yet. They are only held back by their ability, or lack thereof, to market to a younger audience outside of commercials.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    https://media.giphy.com/media/127JeHZl15PRII/giphy.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    Or conversely, you could ask, did Fox acquiring the movie rights all those years ago... ultimately hurt the X-Men?
    No coz the early 00's with the first two X-movies (considered among the best in the genre) represented one of the most exciting times for an X-Fan. Everything across media rejuvenated the franchise, not just films. Be it Morrison's run in comics, Evolution in tv/animation and video game ubiquitousness of the characters. Mainstream hype was at an all time high for the brand when TLS and Origins were coming out. Granted Fox shot itself in the foot twice with those two flicks, but the brand as a whole would have bounced back almost immediately if not for the tragically limiting and stale status quo regression post No More Mutants! (all Marvel) and the DisMar merger.

BANNED

I would say what hurts comic X-Men now is the continued sustainability of their movies. If they tanked, then Fox would sell the rights back. But as long as they continue to be good enough to retain the rights, Marvel/Disney as a company has no real way of getting the rights back other than what they are doing now: degrade the value of the X-Men in comics, hoping it will create somekind of backlash against the movies, while pushing the Inhumans whenever they can to replace the X-Men simply to minimize their financial losses (because thats what this is about: money).

However if they get the live action rights back, I can see them rebuilding the X-Men into what it once was to them because they know what the franchise can do.

BANNED

No Marvel creating a successful MCU hurt the X-men. X-men weren't nearly as critical after that. Disney buying Marvel or not wouldn't have stopped Ike from crippling the X-Franchise after the MCU became dominate.

Quote Originally Posted by JediKage View Post
    No Marvel creating a successful MCU hurt the X-men. X-men weren't nearly as critical after that. Disney buying Marvel or not wouldn't have stopped Ike from crippling the X-Franchise after the MCU became dominate.
    Conversely, Disney has aggressively capitalised on purchasing Marvel and pushed the Avengers and other MCU characters in particular real hard. Even in early 2012 before the first Avengers movie came out, Iron Man, Cap, Thor and Hulk merch was as ubiquitous as Disney fare. The marketing blitz definitely aided in that first movie breaking out the way it did. Otherwise until that point, other than Iron Man, all the other solo MCU movies had done just decent (Thor, Captain America) or disappointing (Incredible Hulk) business. And even IM2 disappointed compared to the first film. So nobody expected The Avengers to be that massive.

BANNED

Clearly the answer is yes. After Disney purchased Marvel, Disney/Marvel canceled new X-men cartoons, wasn't interested in promoting the X-Men and constantly pushed the X-Men aside. After the FF bombed, and X-Men: Apocalypse became mediocre, Fox and Disney have increasingly collaborated. Fox has the rights to Ego the living planet as a part of the FF franchise, yet they allowed Marvel to use Ego in the Guardians of the Galaxy film. Fox and Marvel made a deal on the tv rights, to allow Legion and another X-Men related tv show to air.

The rumors are now getting stronger that Fox and Marvel are working on a grand deal for the film rights. Like how Sony and Marvel share the Spider Man rights. Fox isn't going to outright sell the X-Men rights back to Marvel, but in order to make more money they are definitely willing to share.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Clearly the answer is yes. After Disney purchased Marvel, Disney/Marvel canceled new X-men cartoons, wasn't interested in promoting the X-Men and constantly pushed the X-Men aside. After the FF bombed, and X-Men: Apocalypse became mediocre, Fox and Disney have increasingly collaborated. Fox has the rights to Ego the living planet as a part of the FF franchise, yet they allowed Marvel to use Ego in the Guardians of the Galaxy film. Fox and Marvel made a deal on the tv rights, to allow Legion and another X-Men related tv show to air.

The rumors are now getting stronger that Fox and Marvel are working on a grand deal for the film rights. Like how Sony and Marvel share the Spider Man rights. Fox isn't going to outright sell the X-Men rights back to Marvel, but in order to make more money they are definitely willing to share.
    Ego? that was a normal deal with Marvel to change one character in Deadpool (Negasonic Teenage Warhead).
    Fox is willing to share? It looks that way. Maybe we will have X-men more similar to the comics somewhere.

about topic:
    Yes. Disney prefer to earns money and they can earn more if they will push other franchises.
    Are they a sole reason why X-men are less popular?
    No. Fox also helped with ignoring reasons why X-men were popular.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Xelossik View Post
    Ego? that was a normal deal with Marvel to change one character in Deadpool (Negasonic Teenage Warhead).
    Fox is willing to share? It looks that way. Maybe we will have X-men more similar to the comics somewhere.

about topic:

Yes. Disney prefer to earns money and they can earn more if they will push other franchises.
    Are they a sole reason why X-men are less popular?
    No. Fox also helped with ignoring reasons why X-men were popular.
    Yes. Singer's obsession with Xavier and Magneto mainly, and his new found obsession with Mystique was a big part of that. X-Men: Apocalypse did not focus on the younger characters like it should. Xavier should be in the background as a mentor, and the films could use a break from Magneto and Mystique. Fortunately the huge success of Deadpool and the mediocre performance of X:MA have shown Fox they need to move beyond the Xavier/Magneto/Wolverine, and Mystique obsession.

OML introduces X-23 to the films, and Deadpool 2 will introduce Cable and Domino. The X-Men franchise is getting better. New Mutants will have demon bear as the villain, and X-Men: 7 introduces Magik!

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Yes. Singer's obsession with Xavier and Magneto mainly, and his new found obsession with Mystique was a big part of that. X-Men: Apocalypse did not focus on the younger characters like it should. Xavier should be in the background as a mentor, and the films could use a break from Magneto and Mystique. Fortunately the huge success of Deadpool and the mediocre performance of X:MA have shown Fox they need to move beyond the Xavier/Magneto/Wolverine, and Mystique obsession.

OML introduces X-23 to the films, and Deadpool 2 will introduce Cable and Domino. The X-Men franchise is getting better. New Mutants will have demon bear as the villain, and X-Men: 7 introduces Magik!
    I thought Magik was in New Mutants?

In terms of merchandise and publicity yes.

But on the other hand is a business decision they can make more money with the products which they have the copyrights.

Besides it's not like Fox was doing a great job with the movies though something has changed and both sides seem to be trying to reach a kind of agreement.