Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default Superman issue #15 discussion (spoilers)

NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M FREAKIN' TALKIN' ABOUT!! YOU'RE GOT DAMN RIGHT YOU'RE SUPERMAN!!!!!

That's basically my thoughts coming out of this issue. However to elaborate a bit more (if I must), Tomasi and Gleason's promise of a big fun multiversal Superman blowout have really started to pay off. Issue #14 was a surefooted start, but issue #15 heads off into a mad dash. Tomasi and Gleason ARE WRITING SUPERMAN. I can't stress that enough. I'm always giving them credit for what they do with Clark's voice, but got damn it, they took it up to the next level.

I don't want this post to spoil anything for you guys (but best believe I'm going the f@#k up in once we get a convo started!) but just know that it's a fast moving, Superman flexin', rip snorter of a good time.

I physically NEED issue #16 now!

BANNED

The solicit was way off.

New Super-Man didn't even appear in this issue.

Explains why they may be actually meeting over in the pages of New Super-Man not too long from now.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Explains why they may be actually meeting over in the pages of New Super-Man not too long from now.
    I think some rewrites may have taken place, even the cover doesn't match up.

When the issue was solicited, it was with art by Doug Mahnke, but he didn't do any of the art in this issue. With this issue ending with 'Supermen at War', I think the next issue will reflect the solicit for issue #15.

BANNED

As for the issue, I thought it was good with a truly great moment in that of the Jorge Jimenez splash page.

I likely would have preferred the previous issue if not for that splash page, especially with the bit with Superman at the camp fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    I think some rewrites may have taken place, even the cover doesn't match up.

When the issue was solicited, it was with art by Doug Mahnke, but he didn't do any of the art in this issue. With this issue ending with 'Supermen at War', I think the next issue will reflect the solicit for issue #15.
    You're right. We didn't get any of the Jon and Kathy stuff we were supposed to. I think I'm actually pretty sad about that, if I'm honest. Stuff had and absolute bast with the issue though, and the camp fire scene was my favorite part too.

It was also really funny/great (on a few levels) to see Calvin and Overman square off lol

Always Rakzo

Thought this was once again solid but ONCE AGAIN pretty decompressed with a plot that progresses at a pretty slow pace and the Multiverse aspects are not explored in a deep enough manner.

Sook and Jimenez were the strongest pencillers and Benes was the weakest, he's not bad but some of his character proportions were off.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I can understand why rewrites took place, there was a lot of continuity to get right and there was such a limited space to do it all in just three issues. Plus they had to prepare for superman rebirth, so they didn't have time to do all the fun interactions crossovers like this normally bring.

I really enjoyed this issue still though, only problem I may have is the inconsistent art. But they did the best they could I suppose. Really enjoyed this issue and how only Superman of Earth 0 was the one who stood and sacrificed himself to handle the problem. Showing the difference between him and the other supermen.

BANNED

Is this a new villain?

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    You're right. We didn't get any of the Jon and Kathy stuff we were supposed to. I think I'm actually pretty sad about that, if I'm honest.
    Being three months out, solicits will be very reliable but not 100% accurate. The Feb solicits at this point show

SUPERMAN #16
    Written by PETER J. TOMASI and PATRICK GLEASON • Art by DOUG MAHNKE, JORGE JIMENEZ and others • Cover by RYAN SOOK • Variant cover by ANDREW ROBINSON
    Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
    “MULTIPLICITY” finale! Superman, New Super-Man and Justice Incarnate make their last stand against their multiverse-spanning foe, and the Man of Steel discovers another clue to the truth of his existence.
    On sale FEBRUARY 1

SUPERMAN #17
    Written by PETER J. TOMASI and PATRICK GLEASON • Art and cover by SEBASTIAN FIUMARA • Variant cover by ANDREW ROBINSON
    Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
    “DARK HARVEST”! Jon and Cathy go deep into the woods of Hamilton to find a horror that hungers for the new Superboy!
    On sale FEBRUARY 15

And they still goof in giving this issue's cover to #16, while #17 has no cover.

It was also really funny/great (on a few levels) to see Calvin and Overman square off lol
    I did love that.

Ah, so Jon's thing is its own issue.

This has been the best story-arc of Rebirth so far. I love the alternate universe thing. And no Jon for 2 issues is a big plus!

Some of these alternate Supermen and Justice League members are pretty cool and/or funny. Ragman the Mummy- "It's time to wrap you up!" (May have been a version of The Flash. Anyone else think the Green Lantern on that world may have also been that world's Spectre?), the Demon Superman who speaks in Tolkieneseque rhythm, etc. I liked that at least two Supermen had high collars. "The Justice League of Assassins" and the way they got wiped out, Batman's head shot clean off laying next to him, etc. (I wonder who the Raj Al-Ghul was on that world?). Lex Luthor: Green Lantern!

I noted that the JLoA Superman had his skin all burned off and just muscle, with an "S" carved into his chest. Any chance that could somehow be Superboy Prime, or just a coincidence?

The return of the Monitor's ship was Infinite Crisis was cool- and the artwork made it look the same, we weren't just *told* it was the same ship (Though we were told). I thought one of the background people looked like at least an alternate Alexander Luthor at one point, but they never referenced that, so maybe he wasn't.

One world just looked like it had the Batman Beyond and Superman Beyond Batman and Superman, but I guess they were running out of ideas.

I like that the bad guys keep no-selling SuperDad as a Superman. "Who are you?". LOL.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Beyond is Earth 12, it's been officially a part of DC canon for years now.

Other than the inconsistent art, this issue was really good.
    #MagnetoWasRight

Incredible Member

The only thing I missed: How did they know the villain's name was Prophecy?