I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Default Raven #5 preview and discussion (Spoilers!)

http://www.cbr.com/raven-5/

So, I am actually really enjoying this series, because it looks at questions of religion and philosophy in a non-dismissive way. This issue did a really good job at looking at the question of family, with all the kids and their experiences, and Raven's adoptive family, in a way you don't normally see.

Anyone else reading and enjoying this title?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

BANNED

I feel like it's a bit heavy handed in some places, like the blob finally being ready for Raven when her cousin shows up, and quite bumpy overall in this issue; first it's 'oh no auntie finally found out Raven's a superhero' and then 'oh yeah they are rooting for her' and then back to 'oh no they just saw her go full demon on television'. Also I have some difficulty caring about her school friends simply because not enough time has dedicated during the series to Raven's interactions with them in favor of her banging her head against the wall of white.
    Finally, the blob itself, I sort of get why it's a non-character, because it means Marv doesn't have to spend a lot of time on it. But on the other hand I am kinda disappointed about the lack of a real villain for this, since most great hero stories (I think) are defined by the hero and the villain interacting with each other somehow.

That said, I am interested in seeing how this eventually wraps up in the next issue... hopefully without Raven standing on a mountain of corpses the blob has left behind. Actually I kinda hope that with the stakes now being established, the actual encounter will be brief and the rest of the issue will resolve where Raven will go from here in regards to her school mates, her family and whatever shape the law-enforcement decides to take.

Oh and we should perhaps mark this issue as the first time since Flashpoint (or TT #18 where she reappeared) where Raven has gone full demon.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    I feel like it's a bit heavy handed in some places, like the blob finally being ready for Raven when her cousin shows up, and quite bumpy overall in this issue; first it's 'oh no auntie finally found out Raven's a superhero' and then 'oh yeah they are rooting for her' and then back to 'oh no they just saw her go full demon on television'. Also I have some difficulty caring about her school friends simply because not enough time has dedicated during the series to Raven's interactions with them in favor of her banging her head against the wall of white.
    Finally, the blob itself, I sort of get why it's a non-character, because it means Marv doesn't have to spend a lot of time on it. But on the other hand I am kinda disappointed about the lack of a real villain for this, since most great hero stories (I think) are defined by the hero and the villain interacting with each other somehow.

That said, I am interested in seeing how this eventually wraps up in the next issue... hopefully without Raven standing on a mountain of corpses the blob has left behind. Actually I kinda hope that with the stakes now being established, the actual encounter will be brief and the rest of the issue will resolve where Raven will go from here in regards to her school mates, her family and whatever shape the law-enforcement decides to take.

Oh and we should perhaps mark this issue as the first time since Flashpoint (or TT #18 where she reappeared) where Raven has gone full demon.
    Probably true, but I'm invested in the character work.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    http://www.cbr.com/raven-5/

So, I am actually really enjoying this series, because it looks at questions of religion and philosophy in a non-dismissive way. This issue did a really good job at looking at the question of family, with all the kids and their experiences, and Raven's adoptive family, in a way you don't normally see.

Anyone else reading and enjoying this title?
    I like the fact that #5 seems to move the storyline along a little faster than #4 which I thought was too much of a wheel spinner.I would also hope that she isn't totally successful in saving every one because it would eliminate the learning curve she needs to go through at this point in her life. Of course I'm assuming here that DC has plans for the character beyond the stuck in the mud tie ins with Teen Titans. We can only hope.