Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Though in Rome and Juliet you didn't have one family trying to kill every single member of the other family without any remorse, sure the families didn't like each other but at least both families in that were shown as having made mistakes, unlike the Inhumans now whom Marvel seems to view as innocent saints...

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    They've spent a year and four months in the present, so they'd most likely stick with current lingo (especially as teenagers). Besides, in All New X-Men #13 (which I doubt you've read considering it's a gay Bobby extravaganza), Bobby says his dated "LGBT lingo" would be considered offensive today when he was flirting at the club.

"Which I doubt you've read considering it's a gay Bobby extravaganza" WOW, aren't you the prejudging/judgemental type. And why, dear person, would you assume I have A) Not read it because of it being a GAY EXTRAVAGANZA and B) I have an issue with Bobby being Gay? Please don't allow you biases to prejudice other people's opinions.

Now, that being said, even 16 months out, they still have been written like modern day kids (in a way that an adult thinks modern day kids speak) and not in a manner that would even imply they aren't from the current time line, which is sorta THE POINT with the O5 X-Men, so much so, even Romeo comments on it due to Bobby's choice of entertainment, so it's not out of the park to wonder why they don't also speak like they're out of time. Best example of that I would say would be the X-Men Evolution episode where Nightcrawler meets Forge. The writers have really never played with their out of the time line aspect in their behavior since they were brought to the present , we've just been given the lip service that they are. SHOW don't TELL.

And why does the lingo have to be "LGBT" specific. I'm assuming that even being LGBT he can also behave like a normal person would who's not in the time period they had previously spent the majority of their lives. SURELY LGBT issues aren't the only things he'd be capable of talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by anthony_lynch15 View Post
    I'm guessing the 1990's as that puts the older X-Men in their thirties.
    But I'm doubt the writers are even worrying about that anymore.
    No doubt they think the O5 have been here long enough to be absorbed in to the culture with only the occasional comical throwback comments.
    It's kinda sad though that they are dropping that because that was the one interesting aspect of the whole issue of bring them back in the first place. How would the original X-Men react and behavior in the modern world. Especially if you're still going to have the majority of them have their adult selves hanging around, seeing the contrast would have been insightful to the character as a whole (since it is still the same person just at different periods of time, but experiencing the same present events). Right now, writers are treating each version as completely different characters, which ends up making the younger versions seem out of character to their adult selves.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ebony View Post
    Romeo really didn't choose to not be involved in the fight. He was locked up because he has absolutely zero use in a fight so the Inhumans wanted him out of the way. Bobby is an Omega level mutant with a lot of combat capabilities. it's the equivalent of a bench player starting a fight with Lebron James and both of them being thrown out of the game. The lose of the bench player has little impact on the game's outcome.
    Teen Bobby is not nearly at the same level as his adult counterpart, who was there in IvX 2 btw, making Teen Bobby's participation unnecessary. It was also strongly implied by teen Beast that the X-folk already had a plan in place, which again we have already seen was executed just fine without the help of teen Bobby.

I can only guess at this point that the reason why they keep pushing Cyclops = Hitler angle is that when it is revealed that Frost played them all to get her revenge it makes her look awful and either kill her or make her go full on villain again at the end of this.

At this point Young Iceman's actions are irrelevant, i mean we know he shows up again in the coming team book with Jean and Magneto and the other O5 so he isn't out by any means. I can only assume they plan to have this becomes some sort of point of contention between them. Besides he wasn't entirely unjustified in his fears as his boyfriend could very well have been one of the victims of M or the demons of limbo, i say if they want to pull a Romeo and Juliet but without the tragic ending go for it, well written or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    I can only guess at this point that the reason why they keep pushing Cyclops = Hitler angle is that when it is revealed that Frost played them all to get her revenge it makes her look awful and either kill her or make her go full on villain again at the end of this.

At this point Young Iceman's actions are irrelevant, i mean we know he shows up again in the coming team book with Jean and Magneto and the other O5 so he isn't out by any means. I can only assume they plan to have this becomes some sort of point of contention between them. Besides he wasn't entirely unjustified in his fears as his boyfriend could very well have been one of the victims of M or the demons of limbo, i say if they want to pull a Romeo and Juliet but without the tragic ending go for it, well written or not.

Except even Emma's plan, while motivated by anger and revenge, is STILL sensible in relation to the problem they face and the lack of active action the Inhumans are taking towards it. It's literally self defense since if she doesn't try to destroy the stupid cloud, it'll either kill her and everyone she knows, or force her to leave the planet. Leave the planet. A bunch of aliens, basically, forcing you to leave the plant you were born on. The Skrulls would be proud.

Then Bobby is completely Irrelevant to this story and the issue we just read is of zero consequence or importance other than to show he's got a boyfriend he wants to run away with. If there's no impact to the decision he's shown to have made, then, what's the point of focusing the issue on him at all then?

Ultimate Member

I wonder how much if at all Bobby's decision or hesitation to make a decision will come back to haunt him...

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Then Bobby is completely Irrelevant to this story and the issue we just read is of zero consequence or importance other than to show he's got a boyfriend he wants to run away with. If there's no impact to the decision he's shown to have made, then, what's the point of focusing the issue on him at all then?
    Bobby is completely irrelevant to a story about Bobby?

The character's actions are not and were likely never going to make a difference to the events of IvX. I seriously doubt anyone was expecting him to. The point of the story was to show how Bobby would react in this particular situation, it's more concerned with character beats than "relevancy" to the overall plot of an event occurring in a separate title. The "impact" is the emotional payoff.

Congrats. Finally a writer has made me once again like Cyclops post Schism, because this (Cyclops was hitler for wanting to get rid of a cloud that was murdering all of us, like any sensible, rational person would want to do) has finally smashed down my walls on how smug I had felt he was being written. SO yeah, way to go.
    Same here. I haven't liked Cyclops in years, but Marvel has done the impossible and made me turn around on him due to this insane writing. This might be over the top, but I almost feel like this entire thing is an instance of gaslighting. Marvel is telling me that Cyclops is Hitler, but by destroying the DEATH CLOUD he saved lives. Not a single Inhuman will be hurt by losing it. Now we have Bobby arguing that destroying the DEATH CLOUD will negatively impact Inhuman culture, even though keeping it will mean a death sentence for his entire species in two weeks!

I haven't posted here in years (in fact I had to re-register since my old account was wiped when the forums were reset), but I had to get this off my chest. That's how much I disliked this issue/storyline.

"Which I doubt you've read considering it's a gay Bobby extravaganza" WOW, aren't you the prejudging/judgemental type. And why, dear person, would you assume I have A) Not read it because of it being a GAY EXTRAVAGANZA and B) I have an issue with Bobby being Gay? Please don't allow you biases to prejudice other people's opinions.

Now, that being said, even 16 months out, they still have been written like modern day kids (in a way that an adult thinks modern day kids speak) and not in a manner that would even imply they aren't from the current time line, which is sorta THE POINT with the O5 X-Men, so much so, even Romeo comments on it due to Bobby's choice of entertainment, so it's not out of the park to wonder why they don't also speak like they're out of time. Best example of that I would say would be the X-Men Evolution episode where Nightcrawler meets Forge. The writers have really never played with their out of the time line aspect in their behavior since they were brought to the present , we've just been given the lip service that they are. SHOW don't TELL.

And why does the lingo have to be "LGBT" specific. I'm assuming that even being LGBT he can also behave like a normal person would who's not in the time period they had previously spent the majority of their lives. SURELY LGBT issues aren't the only things he'd be capable of talking about.
    I wouldn't say I'm judgmental by the way you responded to my "LGBT lingo." I didn't make it specific to that. Once again, if you read the story, Bobby says his cultural touchstones for how to be gay are crazy dated. And he brought that up because he was in a gay club. All-New X-Men #13 (also wasn't the Point™ of the O5 kids to show Scott the error of his ways?).

Quote Originally Posted by Til View Post
    Same here. I haven't liked Cyclops in years, but Marvel has done the impossible and made me turn around on him due to this insane writing. This might be over the top, but I almost feel like this entire thing is an instance of gaslighting. Marvel is telling me that Cyclops is Hitler, but by destroying the DEATH CLOUD he saved lives. Not a single Inhuman will be hurt by losing it. Now we have Bobby arguing that destroying the DEATH CLOUD will negatively impact Inhuman culture, even though keeping it will mean a death sentence for his entire species in two weeks!

I haven't posted here in years (in fact I had to re-register since my old account was wiped when the forums were reset), but I had to get this off my chest. That's how much I disliked this issue/storyline.
    This arc is going to go down in infamy for being stupid.

It's getting a little boring and sad how Marvel is constantly trying to just make the X-Men look bad, like villains, and they target some big names just to demonize them. They did and still do it with Cyclops (let the poor guy rest in peace), they're going to do it to Emma, and be sure that probably Storm or other big X-Men is going to be next.

Which is kinda sad, considering how big the X-Men fan base is and how little they actually care about the part of their audience that sadly chose to like the group they don't have the movie rights of. But oh well, glad that I stopped giving that resentful teenage girl that is Marvel my money some time ago.

Then if the story doesn't make a difference to IvX then what did I buy a comic with IvX in Huge lettering (so much so, the actual title of he book has to be found by looking around on it). And surprisingly, the previous tie in books from other titles actually were relevant to the overall story as a whole. You said "Teen Bobby's participation(was) unnecessary" to the plot of the cross over, I'm saying, if I'm buying an ALL NEW X-MEN book that is part of the IvX crossover, then I sorta expect whatever happens in the page to have an importance in some way to the plot, especially since it's a team book and not a solo.

Iceman solo doesn't come out until after this event.