Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

It's known fact that almost everyone's goal is to make their comics into movie(s) or TV series. If Mike is on board, it's for couple of resounds: work recognition(which I can approve) and money(which I would choose too). No more no less. I personally wouldn't set my house on fire if there will be HB3. Mike didn't had much saying in secound movie to begin with. As he stated many times in conventions, especially about secound movie, that it belongs to Del Toro and he had very little to do with the story and production. And I liked HB1 for couple of resounds, but secound movie made me embarrassed with elements and direction it went. The fact that movie Liz is pregnant with Hellboy babies, brrrrr.
    Last edited by Markus; 01-27-2017 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    It's known fact that almost everyone's goal is to make their comics into movie(s) or TV series. If Mike is on board, it's for couple of resounds: work recognition(which I can approve) and money(which I would choose too). No more no less. I personally wouldn't set my house on fire if there will be HB3. Mike didn't had much saying in secound movie to begin with. As he stated many times in conventions, especially about secound movie, that it belongs to Del Toro and he had very little to do with the story and production. And I liked HB1 for couple of resounds, but secound movie made me embarrassed with elements and direction it went. The fact that movie Liz is pregnant with Hellboy babies, brrrrr.
    I think it'd be good to keep fact and assumption separate from one another, since for creative works or what drives artists it would matter what would actually be 'fact'.

I wouldn't want to be making any false assumptions, but what I take from mr Mike's interviews and info on the subject is that Hellboy is Mike Mignola's own thing, his creator-owned thing, being currently still running, as being comics primarily, because mr Mike is himself (primarily) a creator of comics.

When for 2004 a Hellboy movie became a possibility, in the hands of Del Toro, as specifically making an adaptation as particularly something of itself - thus separate from the comic, this was given the go-ahead, in the form of two very cool and seemingly well-received movies, to which a third installment might follow, for all I know.

I believe mr Mike has often stated himself to being a comics creator and as such having created Hellboy, with owning it independently. Hence Hellboy is creator-owned instead of being a studio or publisher property. I believe mr Mike has been happy to work at publisher property stuff, but nonetheless he still created Hellboy specifically as being his own thing - a comics thing.

I believe this is why the Hellboy movie was developed as being a thing of itself - separate from what the comics are:
    because it would be important that the movie adaptation, placed in the hands of an inspired filmmaker such as Del Toro, would come together as being to suit its own medium and means of storytelling the most. The same as how comic Hellboy was specifically made as fitting the comics medium.

And with the movie(s) as standing alone, the Hellboy comic can still run and become developed both as enjoyed with no bother.

Plus both the comic as well as the movie (to an extent) can be profound creative endeavors, without one necessarily being a mere reworking of the other, due to being 'their own thing' so much.

I don't know if the third movie is never made, or either if it is ever made.
    But a 'reboot' or version proving closer to the comic seems totally unlikely to me, since to my understanding it was a condition to be met with creatively, that a movie would need being something of itself more rather than proving a mere reflection of the comic - because the comic itself would be its own representation best.

It seems this thread started due to Del Toro tweeting some little tease recently, and that's all.
    I like both movies and obviously the pregnancy seems by far the most impossible prospect ever - apparently Del Toro really likes to tease !
    Last edited by Kees_L; 01-29-2017 at 08:35 AM.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

Quote Originally Posted by Kees_L View Post
    It seems this thread started due to Del Toro tweeting some little tease recently, and that's all.
    I like both movies and obviously the pregnancy seems by far the most impossible prospect ever - apparently Del Toro really likes to tease !
    Ohhh - can I try to interpret why this thread was started? I can at least give it a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Killercroc357 View Post
    Ohhh - can I try to interpret why this thread was started? I can at least give it a guess.

I thank you for starting this thread and I bid you welcome to the forum.

Eventhough I personally don't tweet I would much like to see a third Del Toro Hellboy movie.

Whereas I think eventhough stuff like Liz's pregnancy would purposefully prove an impossible prospect much, for a filmmaker like Del Toro it would be easy to make a third movie great nonetheless.

Thinking about that I wondered what it could be like. And immediately I was hearing flappy projector noises with seeing Perlman as Hellboy watching a hearthfire.
    Like he was getting on in age, plus almost feeble-like, as if he was either sick or at least troubled. He was talking to the fire, almost like it was his wife he was meaning to address.
    But before I knew it a dark commanding voice violently took over Hellboy's state of mind. Rasputin. With Hellboy being in the fire, or emerging from it to be precise.
    With Rasputin commanding: "You cannot escape your destiny, you *are* what is your destiny" And then: "I summon you. Ragnarok claims you".
    And indeed Hellboy is shown emerging from fire, like its '44 all over again. But now he's at Ragnarok, like a magic battefield capturing him, trapping him inescapably.
    Rasputin's voice apparently morphs, turning into Death, the Winged Angel, with the teeth. Going: "You are alone". And: "Darkness can claim your beloved, steal away your babies, as Ragnarok will come - for it *will* come". Then the trailer ended, showing only the words "Soon in theaters near you" or some such.
    Then surprise encore flashes: bam: a dragon, bam: a masked and cloaked ghost, bam: Liz holding shopping bags with going: "we need to get our sh#t together". Bam: a humunculus suited up agent (with no pants) going: "I'm the new guy". Last flash bam:
    Lobster Johnson holding his fingers up finnicky... Pretty cool, I thought.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 01-29-2017 at 10:42 AM.

Thanks for the kind greeting. And you have my full attention on this script idea. Especially as soon as you said 'Lobster Johnson'.

We shall see in the next few weeks what comes of these meetings between del Toro, Perlman and Mr. Mignola. I really want to see a renewed franchise that allows the wider Hellboyverse (including the B.P.R.D. standalone stories) to end up on the big screen. But if a smart studio was looking this over, they could go both small and large screen, and have these productions play off of one another. I think that would be so much great Mignola material.

X-Files demonstrated how nuts people are for the paranormal and folklore topics. Now add the characters we all love, and you add even more excitement.

Thumbs up

DANG!!!!

Hellboy 3 Not Happening Says Del Toro

Fans hoping for a third Hellboy movie from the original creative team, it's sad to say, but you will not be getting your wish. Despite a grassroots campaign that saw director Guillermo del Toro and star Ron Perlman both come out publicly with the desire for a Hellboy 3 just weeks ago, which got significant response from fans on social media, the director broke the news Tuesday morning that it was definitely not happening.

The tweet has a sense of true finality and defeat to it - it's clear del Toro was willing to make this movie as a passion project (meaning he likely would've made little to no money on it), but something major is standing in the way. With the finality, it sounds like either the studio or the rights holder, creator Mike Mignola, have nixed it completely - though that's merely informed speculation. When del Toro posted in January about the possibility of meetings, he said the meetings would be with Perlman and Mignola (though studios would of course also have to be involved); as del Toro and Perlman have both expressed public interest, it must be one of the other two parties that's not interested.

This had to have been a studio decision. Would Mike Mignola really not want the movie story to be wrapped up for fans of the character?

Quote Originally Posted by Killercroc357 View Post
    This had to have been a studio decision. Would Mike Mignola really not want the movie story to be wrapped up for fans of the character?
    As a fan I would want any creator or maker being fully behind / 100% committed to a finalized product or adaptation (as from its developmental stages). Because why not?

So if such isn't to be the case for a third GDT Hellboy movie, I can feel relieved and even thankful this movie isn't made.

If only because I'm as enamored with these particular comics (and stickers, figures, t-shirts, or lunchboxes) that all did get made into becoming as particularly swell and inspired as they all typically have been appearing to me.

I'm sure any creative both as also GDT himself would agree.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 02-21-2017 at 10:11 AM.

I don't know that Mignola has the ability to stand in it's way. He signed the film rights away, have they reverted back to him? I have no idea.

I do know that at least a few years ago when asked about 3, he stressed that he had no say over if it would get made or not. It was up to the studio.

I'm sure he'd be happy to have it made so that he could finally stop being asked about it, at the very least.

Third movie is not gonna happen... Thank you space worm! Better stick with comics as comics in dire need for readers in general sense. I'm up for reboot, series or animation, but not third movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I don't know that Mignola has the ability to stand in it's way. He signed the film rights away, have they reverted back to him? I have no idea.

I do know that at least a few years ago when asked about 3, he stressed that he had no say over if it would get made or not. It was up to the studio.

I'm sure he'd be happy to have it made so that he could finally stop being asked about it, at the very least.
    From what I know the GDT Tweet about HBIII not getting made is real. Because on Facebook just now I saw mr Mike comment on how a French/Monaco news article-thingy about his response was pretty much correctly formulated.

I don't and shouldn't presume to know how the rights actually work.
    But I'm under the impression mr Mike Mignola is and remains creative owner and does have final say whether or until a certain project like the Hellboy GDT movies is actually given the go-ahead or not.
    At least according to these (aforementioned) comments and news bits a HBIII is not happening because not all parties could get behind it.

Maybe because of the Hellbaby twins, but I don't know.
    I keep picturing this gag strip type-of-thing, about Perlman as Hellboy making a long face amid on the one hand GDT going
    - "OK so lets say Liz gives birth to these darling twins..."
    And on the other hand there are AWK! and RRR-K! noises coming from the creator almost fully under-panel, going:
    "Twins! Demon twins! Forcryingoutloud! Who survives that!? Not anyone pyrokinetic, and cranky/morning-sick, surely! Think of the pain, all the blood - who comes back from that or how does such end well?! With utter doom not even half underway?"
    And GDT: "But this is "Hollywood mang, it's gonna-..."
    Perlman Hellboy: "Aw crap..."

It's a bummer but also not I find. Because thankfully we're getting the comics, with anyone fully behind those.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 02-21-2017 at 11:26 AM.

That whole, Liz is pregnant with Hellboy twins, is just cringing. The secound movie was disappointing to say the least. I like Johann in it, effects and costumes/makeup work. The whole romance and trops is just too much to handle and can't be compered to original source even little.

http://www.slashfilm.com/hellboy-3-is-dead/

It does sound like Mignola wasn't super sold on doing another

BANNED

feels like Del Toro isn't allowed to do anything anymore....

Quote Originally Posted by Skinkie View Post
    http://www.slashfilm.com/hellboy-3-is-dead/

It does sound like Mignola wasn't super sold on doing another
    I did not see that coming. I thought they were fairly tight, and the internet vote thing would just help to motive the three people to talk further - not cause a point of friction.

That's just silly if this became an issue a phone call was not placed in advance.