Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I think Mike's making a big mistake. GDT's a terrific creator, and while someone else might make a new Hellboy movie or TV series or whatever that's closer to Mike's vision I severely doubt that it would be as... well, good.

I also think it's short-sighted, because leaving the trilogy unfinished and coming off Ron's beloved performance could poison the well for a reboot. If a non-GDT, non-Perlman reboot comes out in a few years people will be predisposed against it because of the goodwill the previous films have.

BANNED

what if mike just wants hellboy to remain a comic book property and feels another movie could taint it's image especially if he thinks It'd be bad

^Seems Mike's tweets point toward him wanting to get an all-new adaptation off the ground.

That is Mike's right as creator and owner of Hellboy, naturally (and it isn't lost on me how many comic creators have been denied anything like those rights through the years), but I think it's a bad choice. I'm not really interested in seeing a Hellboy movie that starts over and where Ron Perlman isn't Hellboy, at least not so soon after GDT's two films and especially not after the fact that that series didn't receive a proper ending. If they wrapped up the story with a Hellboy 3 then maybe a decade or so later I could see, sure, let's have a new go at it with new people and reboot, but now? Seems like a recipe for backlash.

BANNED

And Zac Efron as Hellboy

Fantastic Member

Oof. Welp, I guess I'm gonna play devil's advocate here but...

The Hellboy movies weren't that good. I don't mean compared to the excellent source material. I mean they weren't good period. Sure, they had their moments, but come on! I think giving the story a fresh start is a better idea than following up on the pregnant Liz, childish buffoon Hellboy, psychic for some reason Abe, hollowed out nonsense storyline that the films had been pushing. Sure GDT's films looked great, but comparing Hellboy to Pan's Labyrinth (GDT) or Indiana Jones (paranormal pulp adventure) or even some of the recent Marvel films (comics I guess?) makes the Hellboy movies smell like warmed up turds.

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    ^Seems Mike's tweets point toward him wanting to get an all-new adaptation off the ground.

That is Mike's right as creator and owner of Hellboy, naturally (and it isn't lost on me how many comic creators have been denied anything like those rights through the years), but I think it's a bad choice. I'm not really interested in seeing a Hellboy movie that starts over and where Ron Perlman isn't Hellboy, at least not so soon after GDT's two films and especially not after the fact that that series didn't receive a proper ending. If they wrapped up the story with a Hellboy 3 then maybe a decade or so later I could see, sure, let's have a new go at it with new people and reboot, but now? Seems like a recipe for backlash.
    I have a feeling after reading some of these posts and going back to his interview/update he has something in the works that Guillermo del Toro was not aware of. So the internet poll and Hellboy 3 attempt may have potentially disrupted those plans - or Mignola was making sure it won't with just one 'NO' to del Toro's attempts.

at least not so soon after GDT's two films

maybe a decade or so later I could see, sure, let's have a new go at it
    The Golden Army came out 9 years ago. It's a bummer for those that wanted a 3rd film, but we're at the place where starting over is acceptable, I think.

Or, you know, just leaving it as a comic series. Not everything needs to be a movie franchise.

I totally get why Mignola wouldn't want another one made. Especially because there's a distinct leap in quality between the movies and the comics. The movies are fun, but the characters are not even remotely the same. And because the movies are, well, movies, when the average person thinks of Hellboy, they only know the movie version. I can see why it would be upsetting for Mignola to be most well known for a character that he didn't really create. Especially when the one that he did create is really something special.

If they did reboot, I think it would be pretty cool to see something like the right hand of doom or the chained coffin trades adapted. I think if done right, a collection of short story's would be a great way to reintroduce (or introduce for the first time) the Hellboy from the comics.
    But as Joker said, not everything has to be a movie. I think it would be very difficult to top Mignola's visuals.
    Last edited by Gruagach; 02-25-2017 at 12:49 PM.

I think that maybe the reality of it would be kinda like what mr Mike Mignola's own response describes. The response that seems to entail how he and Del Toro would have drifted apart from one another in ways.

Like how mr Mike himself would be seeing the whole Twitter poll towards some star-lit dinner thing be exemplary to what he himself wouldn't want to base movie-development-talks on. As if he would more rather prefer actual communications as dedicated to be bringing things into fruition properlike.

But it would be a little hard to assume any type of stuff about it, when nobody else except for the parties involved attended.

Plus only creators like mr Mike and Del Toro could uncandidly talk what to create and what not to create, because they'd be the only such ones for this case in point.

Also, any do-over "reboot" could become a thing but none such would be part of any doing a third movie, being the case in point.
    But yeah.
    I can feel relieved and thankful this movie isn't made, since apparently it needed it.

I surely would have liked another movie as good as the other ones, but apparently this one isn't it - since it looks like it got comic-creator-veto-ed. And 'as a fan' I can be cool with that.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 02-26-2017 at 08:32 AM.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    The Golden Army came out 9 years ago. It's a bummer for those that wanted a 3rd film, but we're at the place where starting over is acceptable, I think.
    But GDT's fanbase has done nothing but grow during that time, and the theoretical third film has been routinely teased or otherwise brought to the forefront of pop consciousness. I know we all think the comics are tops, but comics (sadly) are a niche, and to most people the HB films are seen less as adaptations and more as installments in the GDT canon. That isn't fair, but I think it is realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Kees_L View Post
    I surely would have liked another movie as good as the other ones, but apparently this one isn't it - since it looks like it got comic-creator-veto-ed. And 'as a fan' I can be cool with that.
    The thing that really bums me out the most is that the various crumbs we've gotten about the plot have made me think that the third film would have been the best: insect-based angels, HB having one good kid (ugly) and one evil kid (angelic looking), and the whole beast of the apocalypse end of the world stuff... plus it just helps that the series would have a ending. They'll always be that bummer element; ending on an unresolved cliffhanger leaving a bad taste in your mouth for forever.

... irony of ironies: I wouldn't mind if GDT just got the story out there as something other than a film like... maybe a comic?
    Last edited by Angilasman; 02-26-2017 at 11:20 AM.

The thing that really bums me out the most is that the various crumbs we've gotten about the plot have made me think that the third film would have been the best: insect-based angels, HB having one good kid (ugly) and one evil kid (angelic looking), and the whole beast of the apocalypse end of the world stuff... plus it just helps that the series would have a ending. They'll always be that bummer element; ending on an unresolved cliffhanger leaving a bad taste in your mouth for forever.

... irony of ironies: I wouldn't mind if GDT just got the story out there as something other than a film like... maybe a comic?
    While I can amiably agree the crumbs you so aptly share here do sound interesting indeed,

(I hadn't heard of those but only am aware of the first two movies their content),

but to my taste Hellboy, as being potentially The Ultimate Bringer of Doom for Mankind and Beyond, would seriously never choose to become a parent, because Doom.
    Nor either Liz, however much she might wish to become a Mom, why would she, if with Hellboy the Apocalypse could well be more than imminent?

If for an inter-species relationship (between demon and human) a pregnancy would prove possible at all, as in possible to live through the delivery of no less than twins. (I'm no expert but for some >Biblical< interpretations angels or Cherubi have no repro organs to speak of. Then again it could be demons have four. I pretty much doubt demons would have bellybuttons. Maybe they'd want to, but it hardly appears they'd ever have the chance to be inside wombs in the natural way.)

Bottom line is it makes sense to me how a creator(-owner) would see other storytelling angles more workable or less testy in the eyes of whatever possible audiences at least. Not to say I would be knowing anything whereas this would be just all conjecture (except for perhaps the bellybutton stuff).
    But I don't think Hellboy and Liz could simply be having twins myself since to me it wouldn't make a lick of sense, as to me it seems one giant can of worms (which are hermaphrodytes, yet without bellybuttons I'd wager).
    Last edited by Kees_L; 02-27-2017 at 07:36 PM. Reason: length.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper