Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    At least hyperion pointed out the flaw of this book

They didnt do anything

Whatan interestong premise that was basically abandoned after one arc
    what bothered me about it is that it's the writer speaking through Hyperion. he's actually having Hyperion diss the team that he wrote as diss-worthy. Robinson is the one that had them "do nothing." He abandoned the concept. it'd be like me writing a Hank Pym solo series, have him be a complete **** to everyone he encounters, never have him win a fight, and have him retire from superheroism after pointing out that he's a **** and a loser; in the final issue.

Mighty Member

I jumped off the book, and it's a shame to read that it didn't get better. In my mind, Squadron Supreme is comic book royalty, so I can't say I'm not disappointed with both the pacing and overall direction. At least we got that Secret Wars tie-in, which I thought was really great. As unlikely as it is, with his failed ongoing and the failure of Squadron Supreme in the main marvel universe in general, I hope to see more Hyperion in the future, either in space where he can really let go or continuing his broship with Thor.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    I jumped off the book, and it's a shame to read that it didn't get better. In my mind, Squadron Supreme is comic book royalty, so I can't say I'm not disappointed with both the pacing and overall direction. At least we got that Secret Wars tie-in, which I thought was really great. As unlikely as it is, with his failed ongoing and the failure of Squadron Supreme in the main marvel universe in general, I hope to see more Hyperion in the future, either in space where he can really let go or continuing his broship with Thor.

I've been wanting this ever since. Just throw Hyperion into Thors book.

This title probably should've been written been y Hickman.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    what bothered me about it is that it's the writer speaking through Hyperion. he's actually having Hyperion diss the team that he wrote as diss-worthy. Robinson is the one that had them "do nothing." He abandoned the concept. it'd be like me writing a Hank Pym solo series, have him be a complete **** to everyone he encounters, never have him win a fight, and have him retire from superheroism after pointing out that he's a **** and a loser; in the final issue.
    Maybe they sort of were supposed to suck as a team though. They started off acting like a bunch of terrorists... maybe the author wasn't trying to actually idealize that sort of behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Maybe they sort of were supposed to suck as a team though. They started off acting like a bunch of terrorists... maybe the author wasn't trying to actually idealize that sort of behavior.
    maybe he should have said that so I wouldn't invest my money in the book.

https://news.marvel.com/comics/24769..._for_survival/

James Robinson:[I] In terms of the characters, their attitude is that they’ve all lost their own worlds and they’ve got to save this world no matter what. So at times that will put them often at odds with the Avengers. They aren’t always going to [do] the thing that you think is the right thing. And that quite frankly as the series goes on will lead to some of them questioning if they’re doing things the right way and others steadfastly believing that they are and that will lead to inner conflicts and everything else. The only ‘A’ in the title is in the word ‘squad’ but it’s an Avengers book that doesn’t have the Avengers as prominently in it so as a result I’m definitely making a point of making this a vital book that fits within the Avengers family and the Marvel Universe so I think that people might be surprised by that—that it isn’t one of those off the sideline ancillary books but it’s definitely a book in the heart of the Avengers universe.[/I]

James Robinson: They’re willing to do a lot of things that turn people off. They aren’t necessarily adverse to a degree of damage, collateral damage. They can seem a little cold blooded and ruthless but their idea is “we have a planet to save.” And if that means we have to sacrifice a few people to do it, we will. So they’re definitely at the darker end of the heroic spectrum; they are definitely at the darker end of black and white in terms of their motivation but we’ll see that there’s always elements that make their actions defensible and compelling and the threat they’ll face will definitely justify the means that they have to resort to.

would be cool if the BLur would meet the new characters from the new universe in the Ultimates book

Astonishing Member

If Marvel ever rebooted this.
    I would like to see the Squadron in an alternate reality where it's just them vs all of the Marvel villains.

The closest we should ever get to a Marvel vs DC book.

Quote Originally Posted by joebleau View Post
    would be cool if the BLur would meet the new characters from the new universe in the Ultimates book
    would he even want that, at this point? he was pressed into military service by Vogt.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    but why? it was Spectrum's grudge against Namor (she even went after the Inhumans, on her own). and Hyperion's the one who killed him (and those circus folk in his miniseries). all Nighthawk did was bail them out when Hammond and his SHIELD team embarrassed them. Nighthawk didn't threaten to kill Blur because he jumped ship. and did they all forget about Warrior Woman's defection and designs on taking over the planet? they wouldn't even know about it if Nighthawk hadn't investigated. I've never been so pissed off by a series.
    Robinson isn't that good of a writer & if you were to look up who some of his favorite marvel characters are. How he wrote Hammond vs the members of the SS isn't shocking at all.. One of the reason I dropped after issue & knew this was wrong creative team for this team.. A writer like Walker or Ewing or Bunn could do something with this group..

Mighty Member

I actually like James Robinson quite a bit, but I feel like he's very momentum based. He's like the Gladiator of comic book writers. Once he gets in that grove he's good, but if he trips or feels like he's about to trip everything falls apart. There are exceptions that meet somewhere in the middle, like his F4 run, but honestly if he still wrote it after that first arc I think it would have gotten better and better. His characters were good, the overall plot just didn't impress people. However, there were smaller things in it like the trial and Ben hanging around prison that glowed. So, being a momentum based writer, he needs time. The more time, the more issues, the better he gets, but the industry doesn't allow for that so much, and his comics often get cancelled because he doesn't find his footing fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Bossace View Post
    I wonder how long this "Permanent change" to Hammond will stay permanent
    It's intended to be permanent. When flamed on, it was nearly impossible to tell Johnny, Jim, and Toro apart. So first Toro was altered, by being revealed as an Inhuman and gaining a secondary mutation due to the terrigen cloud, and now Jim's been altered due to Nighthawk's attack.

Quote Originally Posted by 4sake Baned View Post
    Robinson isn't that good of a writer & if you were to look up who some of his favorite marvel characters are. How he wrote Hammond vs the members of the SS isn't shocking at all.. One of the reason I dropped after issue & knew this was wrong creative team for this team.. A writer like Walker or Ewing or Bunn could do something with this group..
    I'm good with anyone else writing Nighthawk in something. he and Tilda have found a temporary home in Avengers Occupy; for however long that lasts. I'm sure that Hyperion will do well because he's a former Avenger and a superman analogue. I don't expect to see much of Blur, Thundra, and Spectrum; at this point. I have no idea what will become of Warrior Woman or her alien army. I hope that they let Robinson use Hammond again. because he's clearly a huge fan of the character. he had a plan for altering Jim's powers but seemed to give little thought to wrapping up the Squadron's mission. Hype and Spectrum just had a spontaneous change of heart. and, depending on the timeline, Thundra just...gave up on making Hyperion her new mate. :shrugs:

Mighty Member

I loved this issue. I felt every character is better off than they were at the start of the book, and on to bigger and better things.

Except Nighthawk. He's still a dick.

Quote Originally Posted by Namor'sWrath View Post
    I loved this issue. I felt every character is better off than they were at the start of the book, and on to bigger and better things.

Except Nighthawk. He's still a dick.
    I'm glad that you have forgiven Hyperion for killing Namor and Spectrum kicking his head like a football.

and since no one is really talking about it, Ulysses' vision might have been correct. Nighthawk saw bad things happening when Hyperion and Namor got together; leading to some kind of devastating fight between Hype and Nighthawk. Hyperion tells him that he'll simply refuse to fight him. uhhhh, I don't think the marvel universe is that simple. heroes fight all of the time. Hyperion was fresh off of killing a former hero. and he's shown himself to be an easily jaded guy.