Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    It's intended to be permanent. When flamed on, it was nearly impossible to tell Johnny, Jim, and Toro apart. So first Toro was altered, by being revealed as an Inhuman and gaining a secondary mutation due to the terrigen cloud, and now Jim's been altered due to Nighthawk's attack.
    I kind of always found it hilarious how hard it was to tell Jim, Toro, and Johnny apart, but at the same time i'd be really interested to see Jim and Toro working together again and trying to figure out how to collaborate with their different powersets.

Unfortunately i think Robinson is the only writer who would maybe be interested in tackling that and I'm not a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    but why? it was Spectrum's grudge against Namor (she even went after the Inhumans, on her own). and Hyperion's the one who killed him (and those circus folk in his miniseries). all Nighthawk did was bail them out when Hammond and his SHIELD team embarrassed them. Nighthawk didn't threaten to kill Blur because he jumped ship. and did they all forget about Warrior Woman's defection and designs on taking over the planet? they wouldn't even know about it if Nighthawk hadn't investigated. I've never been so pissed off by a series.
    Agreed.

The whole series felt limited, sloppy and borderline directionless as time went on. Seemed like no other writer cared about revisiting the Incursions or beating that dead horse, so there was no one to bounce off storylines with or even acknowledge Namor's death. And then even the issue of isolating Namor (and then Black Bolt) as the culprit but ignoring others like Dr. Strange, who while possessed murdered all her friends and doomed her planet either way at that point, or Doom or Thanos, etc.. just points more to the limitations from jump. Hence after the initial splash, we're left with weirdworld plot digressions and whatever the Warrior Woman angle was.. before having to quickly put all the pieces back together (namely Namor/Atlantis) before disbanding the team, b/c no one was buying the book.

The premise and interviews made you think we would see collaboration / team ups / conflict with other Avengers teams to solve big issues. I would've preferred if he'd scrapped the whole Incursions/Namor culprit angle and just moved forward with this being a premier team that the world embraces but the Avengers teams are wary of because of their methods. And pushed to see if Waid, Ewing, Spencer, Bendis, etc would be more receptive with including/mentioning them here and there.

Though I don't feel the premise of the team ever really got off the ground, in a way I do consider this a satisfying finish to the book.

They alll managed to let go of their issues and find a place for themselves on their new earth. And they all seemed satisfied. Ideally it would be nice if a few of these lose threads would be picked up elsewhere (apart from Nighthawl, who we know already found his life boat), but if this is the last we see of any of them they at least all got relatively happy endings.

Quote Originally Posted by Bossace View Post
    I wonder how long this "Permanent change" to Hammond will stay permanent
    hopefully, not very long. i wish people would stop messing with Jim. just let him be for awhile and not mess with him. no change in powers or job title.

anyway, this book was... well after awhile it kinda went off the rails. it felt like Robinson had one pitch and didn't think about the other 14 issues: superteam compromised of multiverse survivors kill Namor.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Maybe they sort of were supposed to suck as a team though. They started off acting like a bunch of terrorists... maybe the author wasn't trying to actually idealize that sort of behavior.
    If Robinson was redeeming the SS over the series, so they drop there surveillance of the Super Teams, that is one thing, but the premise was sound to my mind. Who says the super heroes are responsible in Pleasant Hill or Civil War 2? With the Divide opening up the way it has, the Squadron were set up to reign in the heroes as the Ultimate Secret Police. I liked the idea, as false as it was, that the SS held the higher ground, and took action as they perceived was neccesary. With Hydra Cap about to appear, the world needs another set of eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
    Agreed.

The whole series felt limited, sloppy and borderline directionless as time went on. Seemed like no other writer cared about revisiting the Incursions or beating that dead horse, so there was no one to bounce off storylines with or even acknowledge Namor's death. And then even the issue of isolating Namor (and then Black Bolt) as the culprit but ignoring others like Dr. Strange, who while possessed murdered all her friends and doomed her planet either way at that point, or Doom or Thanos, etc.. just points more to the limitations from jump. Hence after the initial splash, we're left with weirdworld plot digressions and whatever the Warrior Woman angle was.. before having to quickly put all the pieces back together (namely Namor/Atlantis) before disbanding the team, b/c no one was buying the book.

The premise and interviews made you think we would see collaboration / team ups / conflict with other Avengers teams to solve big issues. I would've preferred if he'd scrapped the whole Incursions/Namor culprit angle and just moved forward with this being a premier team that the world embraces but the Avengers teams are wary of because of their methods. And pushed to see if Waid, Ewing, Spencer, Bendis, etc would be more receptive with including/mentioning them here and there.

Hey remember the preview issue where they were assessing all the Avengers team that would be after them after they did "what as necessary"

And then they got stomped by the UA

then stomped by Adam

then stomped by SHIELD

this is the worst "super powerful" team i've ever seen lol
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
    Agreed.

Certainly killing Namor set the tone very well. Where it went after that didn't back up the brutal methods they used. That was as big a kill as the Hulk kill.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Though I don't feel the premise of the team ever really got off the ground, in a way I do consider this a satisfying finish to the book.

They alll managed to let go of their issues and find a place for themselves on their new earth. And they all seemed satisfied. Ideally it would be nice if a few of these lose threads would be picked up elsewhere (apart from Nighthawl, who we know already found his life boat), but if this is the last we see of any of them they at least all got relatively happy endings.
    As the allegorical Justice League of DC, does Nighthawk find a niche as strong as Batman? Are we comfortable that Hyperion is Marvels Superman? The other members don't seem to match their counterparts as well. Hell they even killed the counterpart of Aquaman, Namor.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    I'm glad that you have forgiven Hyperion for killing Namor and Spectrum kicking his head like a football.
    Namor's fine. No harm, no foul. Spectrum seems to have gotten over her temper tantrum too!

Mighty Member

So what does Hammond actually DO now? Give people cancer?

Quote Originally Posted by Namor'sWrath View Post
    radiation form of heat? he microwaves them or something?

(but in reality, yes, he would give people cancer lol)
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

I suppose his powers are similar to X-Ray on the U Foes, except he's not intangible. Basically shoots lasers and Flies.

I imagine in a practical sense his powers are mostly the same in practice, just not visually fiery.

Now that I think about it, Firestars powers I believe are more microwave radiation than actual fire so he's probably just like her (though sometimes her powers are visually fiery too).

BANNED

Well for a series franchise that started to deconstruct the superhero myth long before watchmen and civil war they had the right intent but lacked the proper execution a common trait in marvel these days. A super team to police the other super teams and ready to dirty their hands would have filled a nice niche in marvel universe especially now when superheroes are more and more turning to supervillain behaviour latest examples being cap hydra ben reilly black bolt but they lost a clear direction after namors execution and kept floundering leading to the team disbanding. Seems SS is the team which always ends up disbanding after 12-20 issues. Well at least this time it is not due to a war betwen nighthawk and hyperion although they were hinting at it and it looked like nighthawk was going to be the heavy this time but they rightly deemed it unwise to hoist another hero vs hero event.
    Last edited by theoneandonly; 01-19-2017 at 06:55 AM.

BANNED

Well maybe he could give red skull or even hydra cap cancer to even up the score for captain marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Hey remember the preview issue where they were assessing all the Avengers team that would be after them after they did "what as necessary"

And then they got stomped by the UA

then stomped by Adam

then stomped by SHIELD

this is the worst "super powerful" team i've ever seen lol
    They performed OKAY against the Uncanny Avengers... even though they lost.

But yeah... once Adam essentially cumberstomped the entire team by himself, it was obvious the notion of them being some sort of Avenger busting super team was pretty much out the window.

Really that's not shocking though... Squadron Supreme's have been getting their butts handed to them by the Avengers for decades. This groups one claim to fame I suppose is that they managed to avoid getting mind controlled for more than a week and a half. That's gotta be a Squadron record.