Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Should Carol Danvers die?

Let's face it: Marvel has been trying to push Carol Danvers almost as much as they're pushing the Inhumans. They have been doing relaunch after relaunch of the Captain Marvel title (even more than they have been relaunching the rest of the books, which is a joke by itself but anyway), yet it has consistently been one of their worst selling books. For example, in November issue 10 sold under the 20.000 copies which used to be cancelation line.

Danvers has been used as the Marvel token female hero for quite some time now, but it's simply not working. The ways they have been trying to push her - mostly by telling us how great she is without actually showing it - have been made even worse by turning her into Captain Facism. Maybe it's time Marvel learned that token characters don't really work (hi Midnighter!) and that they really suck at pushing characters (hi Inhumans!) and actually gave Danvers a rest. Kill her for a few years and then maybe bring her back as a member of the Avengers, to see if she actually becomes popular enough to carry a solo book.

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Teste View Post
    Let's face it: Marvel has been trying to push Carol Danvers almost as much as they're pushing the Inhumans. They have been doing relaunch after relaunch of the Captain Marvel title (even more than they have been relaunching the rest of the books, which is a joke by itself but anyway), yet it has consistently been one of their worst selling books. For example, in November issue 10 sold under the 20.000 copies which used to be cancelation line.

Danvers has been used as the Marvel token female hero for quite some time now, but it's simply not working. The ways they have been trying to push her - mostly by telling us how great she is without actually showing it - have been made even worse by turning her into Captain Facism. Maybe it's time Marvel learned that token characters don't really work (hi Midnighter!) and that they really suck at pushing characters (hi Inhumans!) and actually gave Danvers a rest. Kill her for a few years and then maybe bring her back as a member of the Avengers, to see if she actually becomes popular enough to carry a solo book.
    Nope nope nope nope and nope(:

Just because the sales may seem bad at times and just because the direction marvel has taken with Carol's character with civil war ii is questionable at best I don't think that her future as captain marvel or even Carol danvers's future as a character with marvel comics is put into question and is in doubt it's not like her character is doomed to failure I just don't see that happening.
    Last edited by Ianbarreilles; 01-18-2017 at 09:30 PM.

Since there's ABSOLUTELY ZERO CHANCE that she will die, why ask this question?

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    Since there's ABSOLUTELY ZERO CHANCE that she will die, why ask this question?
    I think the answer is obvious he doesn't like the character otherwise he wouldn't of made this post to begin with.

You don't have to kill the character to give them a rest. That being said, it's nothing happening, that movie is in the horizon, so it would be foolish to send her on vacation.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

OK..............

1.) Really........we doing this kind of Thread, this will not end well. =/

2.) NO!!!

How has Death become the only route for any fan to want to take a character they don't like.

3.) I Don't Care much anymore about how much a book sells, Events and other books sell well but allot is based on Drama and Conflict that gets fans arguing about those books and they are never received well by fans, yet they sell. I care more about a Good story and can care less anymore if that books sells well or not, give me a Good Story, AKA TOM KING'S VISION!
    Last edited by CJStriker; 01-18-2017 at 09:38 PM.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Incredible Member

While there are some recent decisions that confused me (memory erasing and the Mohawk) Carol is a good character. I think marvel is still trying to figure out how to best utilize her. With a movie on the horizon they would be stupid to take her off the board, they want to maximize sales for her and the best way to do that is for her to be in view, in comics, in events. She's on the ultimates, but I think sticking her on a team as a leader in an avenger named title it would help, that's just my opinion. I think once they find the best way to use her so she sells well I guarantee they'll keep starting over fresh at a new number one til they find what works. And they know they have the time to do it because her movie is on the horizon.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

She shouldn't die. Marvel will do is minimize her importance if she continues to under perform. They definitely need to get someone to give her a very clear direction. Starting a new series by cleaning Bendis mess is not the best start.

We don't have to kill her, maybe she can just go back to being Warbird and break out the classic Warbird costume Monica is still alive. No one would object to her taking back the mantle. Maybe they can get Kurt Busiek and George Perez to handle Carol 's new book.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 01-18-2017 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    We don't have to kill her, maybe she can just go back to being Warbird and break out the classic Warbird costume Monica is still alive. No one would object to her taking back the mantle.
    The captain marvel mantle is Carol's now kamala stole Carol's pervious ms marvel mantle and when Carol took the mantle of captain marvel it made sense because she had history with mar-vell they were lovers and he also was like a idol to her a hero she looked up to and he is how she got her powers and she's kree so she makes sense.

Monica never made sense as captain marvel I think the problem is the direction marvel has taken with Carol as captain marvel given the history she has with the kree and captain mar-vell it made sense when she took on the mantle of captain marvel because of that history and Monica has more or less moved on and accepted Carol as captain marvel.

And when I say kamala stole Carol's original alias of ms marvel I meant that is who people know ms marvel as now is kamala khan I think it's come to a point where Carol being captain marvel isn't the problem it's the direction they're taking with her character.

And given the success of kamala as ms marvel I believe that Carol is going to remain as captain marvel for the foreseeable future.

And lastly I think Monica is better as spectrum.

If I have one last thing to add it is like kamala khan has more or less become a success as ms marvel and Carol she was ms marvel for decades before she became captain marvel and now say what you will about the direction that Carol has gone as captain marvel but that's who Carol is known as now that is what defines her now.
    Last edited by Ianbarreilles; 01-18-2017 at 10:15 PM.

Why would she die? They are doing a movie about her.

Cyclops, War Machine, Hulk, Madrox, I think I speak for most of us when I say that after last year, I am sick to death of death.
    Let the character work to redeem herself before chucking her in the time-out grave.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Why would she die? They are doing a movie about her.
    Agree and hey AmiMizuno, I really like your Avatar!
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

BANNED

That Avatar is very cute.