Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930 LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    LMAO these threads are always kept afloat by the same two-three people who are obsessed with hating on this character for some reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    Atleast it’s pretty transparent lol.
    Yeah. The character's very existence, especially over the last eight years since she formally became Captain Marvel, is very threatening to certain (types of) people.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Yeah. The character's very existence, especially over the last eight years since she formally became Captain Marvel, is very threatening to certain (types of) people.
    Indeed. You still have people trying to pretend that the Captain Marvel movie wasn't a huge success, that the comic character is universally loathed, that Brie Larson is an awful person, etc etc. It's like they can't handle the idea that people have different tastes than them so they have to fabricate an alternate reality where their opinions are fact

Absolutely not. If anything, the character should be pushed even more.
    “Marvel Fan Rave Podcast” on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and more.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtools View Post
    Indeed. You still have people trying to pretend that the Captain Marvel movie wasn't a huge success, that the comic character is universally loathed, that Brie Larson is an awful person, etc etc. It's like they can't handle the idea that people have different tastes than them so they have to fabricate an alternate reality where their opinions are fact
    Especially the last part, given how backlash against representation and inclusion in fictional media has become a vector to radicalize many of those same people into hate movements in real life that end up inflicting real harm on real people. That, to me, is an even bigger problem, because it's one thing to hate a fictional character, the actor portraying said character, or even the writers for that character, but a lot of the same people targeting that specific character seem to have generally, even virulently negative views about the expansion of inclusion and representation in both fiction and reality. As such, it's fairly easy to see overlap between people who feel that their favorite media is being "taken" from them and the people who feel that something perhaps more fundamental to their sense of identity or self is being taken from them by increasing inclusion of (usually female, nonwhite, and/or LGBT+) others in society and culture. One all too easily bleeds into the other, and then, again, those people get radicalized into joining or supporting real-world hate movements rooted in a revanchist mindset that all too often compels violence, threatened or actual, against those perceived as "stealing what's rightfully theirs." Basically, hate is a gateway drug to more hate, and hate ultimately leads to suffering for everyone, the hated and the hater(s) alike.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Especially the last part, given how backlash against representation and inclusion in fictional media has become a vector to radicalize many of those same people into hate movements in real life that end up inflicting real harm on real people. That, to me, is an even bigger problem, because it's one thing to hate a fictional character, the actor portraying said character, or even the writers for that character, but a lot of the same people targeting that specific character seem to have generally, even virulently negative views about the expansion of inclusion and representation in both fiction and reality. As such, it's fairly easy to see overlap between people who feel that their favorite media is being "taken" from them and the people who feel that something perhaps more fundamental to their sense of identity or self is being taken from them by increasing inclusion of (usually female, nonwhite, and/or LGBT+) others in society and culture. One all too easily bleeds into the other, and then, again, those people get radicalized into joining or supporting real-world hate movements rooted in a revanchist mindset that all too often compels violence, threatened or actual, against those perceived as "stealing what's rightfully theirs." Basically, hate is a gateway drug to more hate, and hate ultimately leads to suffering for everyone, the hated and the hater(s) alike.
    Interesting reminds me of "Violence is the language of the unheard" or... was it a riot? I think it was a riot but the principle is the same.
    It's like they can't handle the idea that people have different tastes than them so they have to fabricate an alternate reality where their opinions are fact
    I think the problem shows up when people who gain power feel that way more than the end user feeling that way. IDK. What I always wondered was why was there no backlash for like this when Monica Rambeau led the avengers, or when Wasp led the team or when Night thrasher led the new warriors... I mean there was more dislike for thunderstrike Masterson than Monica back in the day anecdotally speaking, but Jane Thor caused rage. Never been able to put my finger on why Ripley, and Sarah Conner, and Leih were so loved but "Rey" is so hated
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Except they're not the unheard. Given how vocal some of them are, and that they are not exactly shy about using threats and just generally verbally attacking the creators on assorted social media platforms, I'm sure everyone Marvel is WELL aware of their views. (remember the milkshake incident? I'm sure Marvel does.) They're just not particularly interested in doing what they want, Marvel (and other publishers but Marvel seems to be the main target) is trying to attract different types of fans besides just these guys. Which just infuriates them more. They see themselves as the traditional audience that (to their minds) should be catered to, but has been abandoned. (except not really, there are still plenty of books on the shelves that cater to their interests, it's just that they are joined by other books that cater to other people as well) They see any divergence from what they like as threatening, as upsetting the natural order of things, and that everything would be better if it all went back to how they think it's supposed to be. Like every comic should be made to cater to their tastes exclusively. It seems like they are more interested in trying to enforce that their ideals are held up as the 'correct' ones, by excluding everyone who likes something different. Of course, there's plenty of room for everyone, it's pretty rare that someone would have the ability to read EVERYTHING, so what's the harm in having books cater to different types of people? But they want it to be ALL for them, regardless of if it's even possible for them to read it all. But, as mentioned they get radicalized in echo chambers and cults of personality that pick at insecurities and exaggerate them, so what may have once been just being upset that a character like Carol got a new costume when they liked the old one because they thought it was hot, can end up being redpilled into a virulent misogynist or worse. Maybe not all of them go all the way, but... that is the end result for a lot of them, especially the really vocal ones that actually do threaten the creators and such. this video explains how something like comicsgate or gamergate can be used to radicalize someone into a straight up neo-nazi

each step along the way is small, and not everyone, or even most, will go all the way, with a lot kinda stopping at some point when their limits are reached, but some will go all the way. (also it uses the alt-right specifically, and i kinda wish it hadn't but kept it more general, because i think it could be applied to lots of things, the method is the same, even if the goal is different, an not necessarily left vs right specifically, it is a similar thing at work that pulls people into cults, for instance, just with a different set of beliefs at the core)
    Last edited by Raye; 04-15-2020 at 11:55 PM.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Why do these threads even exist?
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

I'm not at all one of those kind of people but I still wish she'd drop dead.

All this pent up aggression needs a new outlet.
    Might I suggest eating or beating your feelings, by way of delicious sandwich (yummers!) or extensive masturbation (ooh La La).
    Or both.
    In tandem, if you must.
    She's fiction.
    Self soothe that sh*t already.

Astonishing Member

All these revolving door deaths de legitimize and diminish the medium. There are ways of killing off a character without killing them. She’s missing. She’s de powered. She’s on an off screen quest to find herself. She’s embroiled in a bitter lawsuits against her Publicist. I liked her quite a bit before the big push. I thought her book was pretty good. I guess somebody wanted all the a golden eggs now, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Photon Torme View Post
    All these revolving door deaths de legitimize and diminish the medium. There are ways of killing off a character without killing them. She’s missing. She’s de powered. She’s on an off screen quest to find herself. She’s embroiled in a bitter lawsuits against her Publicist. I liked her quite a bit before the big push. I thought her book was pretty good. I guess somebody wanted all the a golden eggs now, though.
    Yeah. This guy.

Last edited by Fokken; 04-16-2020 at 04:47 AM.

Carol Danvers has on her side that Reality Manipulator clone of Scarlet Witch. I think Gaben was his name. He would definitely Resurrect her on the of chance she would die. Like that time during Dark Reign.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Push the character even more.
    Give her some dangers that she can genuinely struggle against, give her her “if this by my destiny moment” and go with it. She’s a great character.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    All this pent up aggression needs a new outlet.
    Might I suggest eating or beating your feelings, by way of delicious sandwich (yummers!) or extensive masturbation (ooh La La).
    Or both.
    In tandem, if you must.
    She's fiction.
    Self soothe that sh*t already.
    What makes them funny is how delusional they are. You can tell most of them aren’t use to talking to people outside their “group,” if you know what I mean. I laugh when they try and argue that politics in comics is somehow a new thing.

She just a competent writer to take over her story. Potential is there I just feel like her stories have been weak or just flat out bad.