Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Some people just like looking good/pretty/fashionable? It's not like Carol had that many boyfriends, love interests or anything.
    She's had plenty. They just all die.

Or fake their deaths.

Hmmm.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post

Or fake their deaths.

Hmmm.
    I really wouldn't say plenty compared to most characters.

Some thoughts on the "hypocrisy" of Carol criticizing the cleavage of the TV show costume, compared to her black costume.

First, remember that she doesn't remember wearing the black costume. She's presumably seen photos of it, she knows she wore it, but she doesn't actually remember it.

Second, she was at a specific time in her life when she wore it. She'd left the military entirely, and she'd moved on, and she was letting loose and having fun. So a sexy costume was exactly what she wanted. That's no longer the case. She's not only back in a military-style organization, she's leading it. In her official capacity, she needs to present a certain image. "Cleavage-y" is not the image she wants to present.

Third, there's a difference in how a person chooses to present themselves and how others choose to present them. The show is choosing to present Carol in a certain way, and Carol isn't comfortable with that. She's not comfortable with the entire thing. The cleavage is just a part of that.

Context matters. Carol can be fine with dressing sexy when she wants to, while also not wanting a fictionalized depiction of her to be too sexy. Because those two things exist in different contexts.

Or fake their deaths.

Hmmm.
    Clearly the universe is sending her a message that she just needs to accept her feelings for Jessica.

Either that, or she's competing with Daredevil to have the most dead lovers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Some thoughts on the "hypocrisy" of Carol criticizing the cleavage of the TV show costume, compared to her black costume.

First, remember that she doesn't remember wearing the black costume. She's presumably seen photos of it, she knows she wore it, but she doesn't actually remember it.

Second, she was at a specific time in her life when she wore it. She'd left the military entirely, and she'd moved on, and she was letting loose and having fun. So a sexy costume was exactly what she wanted. That's no longer the case. She's not only back in a military-style organization, she's leading it. In her official capacity, she needs to present a certain image. "Cleavage-y" is not the image she wants to present.

Third, there's a difference in how a person chooses to present themselves and how others choose to present them. The show is choosing to present Carol in a certain way, and Carol isn't comfortable with that. She's not comfortable with the entire thing. The cleavage is just a part of that.

Context matters. Carol can be fine with dressing sexy when she wants to, while also not wanting a fictionalized depiction of her to be too sexy. Because those two things exist in different contexts.
    I don't think she forgot EVERYTHING? Even when she lost her memories, she still knew most/all the people she knew, and the black costume is the one whe wore for the most time.

Extraordinary Member

Carol does indeed remember it. She wore the same costume as Warbird when she rejoined the Avengers in the Perez relaunch.

She also wore it in volume 2 of Ms Marvel, and during the first Civil War. That means quite recently.

If you dress in a certain way, and people show you dressing that way, then saying they are wrong to show you dressing that way is weird. You're right, context matters, and in that context Carols statement here needs more elaboration by the writer than is given.
    Last edited by brettc1; 01-20-2017 at 04:08 AM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

If you dress in a certain way, and people show you dressing that way, then saying they are wrong to show you dressing that way is weird. You're right, context matters, and in that context Carols statement here needs more elaboration by the writer than is given.
    It was enough for everyone but you to understand and not think it was weird. It wasn't mentioned more than twice or talked about the whole issue, you're the only one making that big of a deal about it.

Also, the costume is not based on the black, or the original ms marvel outfit or anything in any way. It's exactly like her previous Cap one except for that little detail. So they didn't gave her a similar "sexy" costume like she wore before, but changed one that had nothing sexual about it. It's not like her biggest problem was that either, the show is obviously COMPLETELY cringy and she mentions the dialogue and the romance.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    It was enough for everyone but you to understand and not think it was weird. It wasn't mentioned more than twice or talked about the whole issue, you're the only one making that big of a deal about it.

Also, the costume is not based on the black, or the original ms marvel outfit or anything in any way. It's exactly like her previous Cap one except for that little detail. So they didn't gave her a similar "sexy" costume like she wore before, but changed one that had nothing sexual about it. It's not like her biggest problem was that either, the show is obviously COMPLETELY cringy and she mentions the dialogue and the romance.
    I can't help it if I observe more than others.

The "boob window" gets mentioned more than the dialogue in her comments to the council. As for the tv show, the costume designers would probably fire back with "Well, we used elements of your current costume plus some from the old design where you showed a lot more skin."

Also, I am not saying that Carol's comments are necessarily wrong. But for anybody who knows the character history and stops to think about her choice of apparel over the years, her complaint needs more than just a blanket statement to say "I don't dress like that." When very clearly she dressed very much like that as a matter of public record.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mavric1919 View Post
    This guy was the really the best part of the whole book.

Attachment 43992
    That was actually my favorite part of the book hahaha

Clearly the universe is sending her a message that she just needs to accept her feelings for Jessica.

Either that, or she's competing with Daredevil to have the most dead lovers.
    HAAAAA. I found this funnier than I probably should have. Though I'm having a very hard time disagreeing with it.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Mighty Member

I can't help it if I observe more than others.

The "boob window" gets mentioned more than the dialogue in her comments to the council. As for the tv show, the costume designers would probably fire back with "Well, we used elements of your current costume plus some from the old design where you showed a lot more skin."

Also, I am not saying that Carol's comments are necessarily wrong. But for anybody who knows the character history and stops to think about her choice of apparel over the years, her complaint needs more than just a blanket statement to say "I don't dress like that." When very clearly she dressed very much like that as a matter of public record.
    huh...I didn't even think about that.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    HAAAAA. I found this funnier than I probably should have. Though I'm having a very hard time disagreeing with it.
    Me too. There's a reason there is so much Kirk and Spock slash fiction.

Though I'm not sure why Carol is Kirk. Surem she's a captain. But for a while now she's also been the less funny by the book type. Plus, she's a human alien hybrid.

Jess seems much more of a kick type to me. Fast and loose with the rules, and makes you laugh.

Back on point though. The writers at Marvel invested ten times more effort in the Carol/Jess relationship than they ever did with her and Rhodey.

They did because at the time KSD was really delving into that friendship (it was always there but I think KSD really cemented it) I don't think there really were that many positively portrayed female friendships. And Carol and Jess' was so well done - well. How can you not love it?
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    They did because at the time KSD was really delving into that friendship (it was always there but I think KSD really cemented it) I don't think there really were that many positively portrayed female friendships. And Carol and Jess' was so well done - well. How can you not love it?
    Bendis also did a lot with it during his Avengers runs.

That is true - I need to go back and Read New Avengers straight through.